Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Windshield frame rust, cure?

We are thinking seriousley about trading our 08 View on a 2010 Vista P.

After reading all the posts on windshield rust. I am wondering just how often this is a problem and especially has Winnebago done anything different by 2010 to halt the rust problem. Is this just older units or should I expect problems soon?

From the threads I read this seems to be an expensive problem and not something that can be repaired by home mechanics.

Thanks for any help.

Lynn, 08view
tinkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Hello Lynn and :welcome:

there have been many posts on this subject, my advice is to do a search on this topic and review what you read to make your decision.

I am not sure if the problem went away starting at any particular model year.
I personally had a windshield water leak issue that I was able to repair myself thus reducing the cost of going to have it repaired. Just remember with any make and model there will be some kind of issue. The amount of information here is priceless.

Best of luck with your decisions.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

This concern is yes reported on here but on one thread just 5 people posted 112 times making it look like a bigger deal.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Lynn;

I also would like to welcome you to iRV2. I am on my 3rd Winnebago motor home and have had to replace stone damaged windshields in all 3. I never had any major rust problems in any of mine. I believe Winnebago builds a great coach and I would buy another one with out question.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerman View Post
We are thinking seriousley about trading our 08 View on a 2010 Vista P.

After reading all the posts on windshield rust. I am wondering just how often this is a problem and especially has Winnebago done anything different by 2010 to halt the rust problem. Is this just older units or should I expect problems soon?

From the threads I read this seems to be an expensive problem and not something that can be repaired by home mechanics.

Thanks for any help.

Lynn, 08view
Lynn: What a coincidence to find your question because I came here to start a new thread on this exact subject. My signature coach left Forest City in late December 2009 and sat at LaMesa in San Diego (salt air) until I bought it in April 2010 from their dealership in Tucson. When I first saw it in Tucson, I refused to accept the coach because of the rust covering almost everything UNDER the coach. WBGO said it was not "their" problem because the dealers are susposed to wash the underside (as well as the shiny side) when receiving coaches delivered over winter-salted roads. Obviously this was not done in San Diego. I agreed to let LRV-Tucson pressure wash the chassis (and all the other underneath stuff) with the coach up on a lift rack, and then "treat" the rusty surfaces with one of those products designed to "convert" the iron oxide to a sealed surface which can be painted. After several days of "washing and treating" it looked good when they finished, and I consumated the deal because I KNEW this was one of the last W-24 chassis out there, under "our" floor plan. BUT, I've always been concerned about rust where it could not be readily seen.........

On a recent trip a rock cracked my windshield and I requested Duncan have the glass be replaced at Dependable RV rather than at the local glass shop they normally use, because I was expecting to need Dependable RV to replace or repair the rusted metal frame that WBGO has gotten so much "bad press" about. NOPE. My fears were unfounded, because to my surprise Dependable RV said the frame was in good shape and showed no signs of rust. I specifically told them to be check for rust, and that I would pay them for any repairs that were needed, so they had no reason to "hide" the truth from me.

I'm not claiming that WBGO found a cure for the windshield frame rusting issue.....I really don't know. All I can tell you is that based on the condition mine was in at delivery, it "should" have had rust, and it does not. I am both suprised and thrilled to not be among those owners who have had to deal with this issue, and hope you won't either.

Also, Welcome to the forum.com!
Ed
Old 12-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I had a Winnebago windshield replaced due to a fallen limb breaking it. Glass company came to house to do the job. I watched carefully to see what they would run into. There was absolutely no rust on the frame. I cannot see how, (the way they install the windshields), at the factory, it could happen. Mine was imbedded in hot butyl rubber. The glass company did the same thing. They then checked the whole windshield area for leaks. I never had a leak problem in 7 years of owning the rig. Now I wish this was true with the double pane side windows, all of those clouded up and had to be replaced. Year of coach build was 2000.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Looking at the Prior Model Year information on the 2010 Vista the brochure picture clearly shows it's a 1-piece windshield.

I am pretty certain that Winnebago changed how the 1-piece windshields are installed over the 2-piece windshields. To my knowledge I haven't heard of anyone having a rust problem with any 1-piece windshields.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
Looking at the Prior Model Year information on the 2010 Vista the brochure picture clearly shows it's a 1-piece windshield.

I am pretty certain that Winnebago changed how the 1-piece windshields are installed over the 2-piece windshields. To my knowledge I haven't heard of anyone having a rust problem with any 1-piece windshields.
On one of my phone calls to Winnebago Customer Service, I asked about the newer one-peice windshields. He refused to tell me if there was a new installation process but did tell me that they have not had an claims regarding rusted windshield frames. Of course, Winnebago pretty much denies that 1999-2009 models have had issues either... -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I think it's like scuba diving and moustaches...
"Shave, or leak."
If you buy the wiinnebago, they glue the glass to the steel frame.
if there's any glue failure for any reason, frame flexing, poor adhesion or installation, etc. it's going to leak and rust eventually. so if you buy it new, only keep it a few years, your going to be ok. if it's an older one, you just have to deal with it. add clear silicone sealer every few years under the rubber trim to help keep the water out. cost of doing business and the nature of the beast..
Good luck.
Dan.
kb7uxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I have a 2008 Winnibago Destination, 39W. Under warranty the dealer had the rusted out portion of the metal around the windshield fixed. It has been 3 years and recently I saw a streak down the inside of the windshield and a small puddle on the dash. It is at the dealership now being checked and repaired if necessary. Warranty has passed and ESP does not cover rust.

Happy trails. Check carefully before you purchase.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Our 07 adventurer developed a slight leak at the windshield top mid point. We would get drippage if driving in a pouring rain or direct spray with a hose. It was a 2 piece windshiled. The pieces where glued down, as well as having rubber strips along the top & between them.
It appeared as though the middle rubber strip (between the panes) had slipped sown and allowed water to build up behind it. A couple Ohio winters (freeze/thaw) certainly 'helped' the problem.
Long story short: a thin channel developed between the center post and one of the panes about 3 inches down. There was a bit of surface rust above that location which we sanded and treated with por-15. Fresh buytal caulk at the glass & new rubber trim (from Winnebago) and it was fine.
If we hadnt had the leak, I imagine it could have rusted worse if left alone. But looking back, the way the trim pieces had seperated, should have been a red flag to take a look.
That said, I feel it was a somewhat isolated incident & had no problem trading for another Winnebago. Especially a late model with the 1-piece windshied. The view is excellent.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

If you do have a leak in the windshield area, use butyl caulk, not silicone, to effect repairs. The glass guy will thank you. Butyl was used to install the windshield in the first place.

Those rubber strips on the outside of the windshield on a Winnebago on the 2-piece windshields are not designed to keep moisture out. They are finish strips. Not a bad idea to pull them off once in a while to check out the sealants underneath. If you do pull them off, have a glass guy available who knows Winnebago's, as the channel which holds the strip on the coach is a double-sticky material, which can come off too. You may have to repair/replace the mounting groove and the moldings, which aren't that expensive.

If you do find a little rust under there, you may be able to fix it up before running into a windshield repair, and fix the leak in the process.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I had to have my right half windshield replaced on my 07 Journey due to rock damage. All along the bottom of the frame I had rust that had to be ground down and treated before the new glass was installed.

I now have a crack on my left side windshield, it started from the bottom and advanced up about in the same area where the right side had rust. I'm sure the frame has rusted causing the glass to crack.

I don't believe that WB has a good metal priming process. Don't get me started about the rust around my basement compartments.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I hear ya Paul. I've been treating mild surface rust on my coach for the last 2 years. Last year did the area around the rear cap and all the wheel wells. This year doing the driver's side slide.

Unfortunately it's a necessary evil with these beasts.

I agree that one would think that manufacturers of mothorhomes could do a better job in rust prevention when they are built.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I have a 2008 Winnibago Destination, 39W. Under warranty the dealer had the rusted out portion of the metal around the windshield fixed. It has been 3 years and recently I saw a streak down the inside of the windshield and a small puddle on the dash. It is at the dealership now being checked and repaired if necessary. Warranty has passed and ESP does not cover rust.

Happy trails. Check carefully before you purchase.
Hello Wayne M;

I was hoping you could elaborate further on your first repair and let us know what was specifically done to make the repair. Did the repair facility pull the windshield and grind out the rust, for example, or just do some rust clean-up work with the windshield in place?

Thank you. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
Hello Wayne M;

I was hoping you could elaborate further on your first repair and let us know what was specifically done to make the repair. Did the repair facility pull the windshield and grind out the rust, for example, or just do some rust clean-up work with the windshield in place?

Thank you. -RT
I can tell you what was done when my passenger side glass was replaced due to rust allowing water to seep in behind the glass which froze and broke the windshield.

There was rust at the top of the frame, the middle and at the bottom in two places. The shop scraped away the loose rust, wire brushed it, then used a product that supposedly converts the rust and prevents further rust. They used SEM Rust Mort. After treatment, the metal was painted and the new glass installed. I just had the rubber trim off to clean and inspect, and I see no new rust around that glass. I've heard of folks using POR 15 which does the same.

Since most of the rust was behind the glass and under the urethane seal, I cannot see how you can effectively deal with the rust without removing the glass. Perhaps if you catch it early and can treat rust that is just forming, maybe.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust