Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Anyone out there have any recommendions on resealing a windshield on a 2005 winnebago adventure 37B. I have resealed it once but it has started leaking again stacticly,above the dash.
scuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Anyone out there have any recommendions on resealing a windshield on a 2005 winnebago adventure 37B. I have resealed it once but it has started leaking again stacticly,above the dash.
scuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

A good discussion of repairing a leaking windshield can be found at:

hhtp://minimopar.knizefamily.net/windowleak.html

It goes into how to repair if:

1) Just a leak
2) Leak with a rusted channel
3) What to do if the windshield has cracked

It talks about using polyurethane sealant (this is what the window should have been installed with) and alternatives.

I recently had to have a drivers side windshield replaced and when they started to remove the windshield, part of the window had not been primed properly and the sealant had not "stuck" to the window -- due to the lack of the primer.

Hope this article helps you with your leaking problem.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If I had a leak I would have a windshield shop pull the windshield, reseal and then reinstall. The problem would be fixed.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Our Sightseer had a "windshield leak" last summer. I found about it while washing the MH. Again while at Yellowstone during a down pour. It started at the upper left corner on the driver side. Just a small drip. Anyway, I brought it back to the dealer. They presure tested the MH (put positive air pressure inside the MH) and soap solution all around the MH. They found 2 water entry points on the roof at the front cap. They sealed the area. No more leak so far. I think CW does a similar test to find leaks. Dealer service rep explained that the water entered at a different point and traveled along the channels to exit at the wind shield. Lucky me, we found it early and took care of it. Dealer service rep has seen some MHs that don't show the leak until things are bad already (delamination, rusted frames, mold...).

Relax, drive safely, and enjoy God's creations.

2006 Sightseer 33T, W18, 8.1L
mis3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I agree with Tom. I had a leak in the upper left corner on the drivers side (actually a little more than a leak, I could see daylight) and I took it to a windshield repair shop and $50.00 later it was reinstalled and well sealed. That was 3 yrs. ago and all is well.

03 VW Beetle TDI
Tony Van Helden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:14 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I had a minor windshield leak which only showed up when raining and under way (i.e. air pressure). Coach was still under warranty but it took the dealer four tries (three weeks of down time over two months) to fix. I had to threaten invoking my state lemon law (3 times to fix something before going to arbitration) before Winnebago would even authorize the pressure test.

With the pressure test they found the leak. It turned out to be air gap in the main sealant botched at the factory. They removed and re-installed the windshield and it hasn't been a problem since.

Now if Winnebago had authorized the pressure test the first time this wouldn't have been such a big deal.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Been there, done that, will be sure to do it differently next time!!!

Correct that a windshield leak on a recent model Winnebago likely indicates a water leak elsewhere, and it is just becoming evident at the windshield. When we had a leak and I inspected the are where it was coming in, it was obvious that it would be very difficult for water to get past the gaskets to that area ...it had to be coming from somewhere above the windwhield on the front cap. When the dealer pressure tested the coach, they found multiple "leaks" around both windshields, but only one spot was actually leaking where water was coming down the inside of the cap from a leaky clearance lamp. The end result of a very long story was that the dealership focused on the windshield leaks rather than the real leak at the clearance lamps. The whole experience was a three week long disaster.

AND BEWARE ...it is highly unlikely they will be able to remove the windshields from a recent model Winnebago without destroying them. They are glued to the metal framework with Urethane cement rather than just stuck in a rubber gasket like most other motorhomes. You might get lucky and get one out without breaking it, but don't go there without being prepared to pay for a new one. The windshields for our coach were $704 each plus freight.