Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Windshield Wiper Adjustment

I have a 2005 Itasca Sunrise 38J and have noticed that my passenger side wiper is lower than the driver side wiper. When I use the wipers, the passenger side wiper hits the bottom black molding at the bottom of the window. Is there a way that I can adjust the passenger side wiper assembly higher so that it does not hit the molding.

I am on a trip right now and will need to do the adjustment tomorrow.

Thanks
Bobg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

My 38J has articulated wiper arms which means that there are two connected arms on each side. This makes it a bit more complicated than the single arm wipers. I think that all you do is take off the two nuts and then pull the wiper off. It is on a splined shaft and you want to put it back on in a slightly different position - more toward the center of the windshield. Then be sure to put the nuts back on.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Don't make the same mistakes I made with wipers. The passenger wiper kept giving me trouble and I had to remove it during a bad rain storm because it was starting to drift off the windshield and into the other wiper. Later I inspected it under the "hood" and found the passenger wiper gear assembly had worked loose and subsequently desintegrated. Had I had the opportunity to check it, I might have tightened the assembly and avoided a costly and silly problem. The wiper assembly is bolted on to the inside of the "front cap" and those bolts need to be inspected from time to time to make sure they have not loosened and cause wiper failure.

Hope this is helpful.

Phil
Old 07-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoots View Post
Don't make the same mistakes I made with wipers. The passenger wiper kept giving me trouble and I had to remove it during a bad rain storm because it was starting to drift off the windshield and into the other wiper. Later I inspected it under the "hood" and found the passenger wiper gear assembly had worked loose and subsequently desintegrated. Had I had the opportunity to check it, I might have tightened the assembly and avoided a costly and silly problem. The wiper assembly is bolted on to the inside of the "front cap" and those bolts need to be inspected from time to time to make sure they have not loosened and cause wiper failure.

Hope this is helpful.

Phil
DITTO: What Phil say's. I had the same thing happen but was lucky enough to find the problem before the assembly came completly loose and disintegrated. Thanks Phil for reminding me to check it again.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I had the same "one side hitting" issue as Bobg43.

To make a long story short, during a previous repair, one of the control arms was installed backwards (they have a bend in them for a reason).

But in my attempts to "quickly adjust it" I learned:
1: You will need a GOOD puller to get the arm off the shaft.
2: Dont bother trying to adjust the arm by moving over to the next spline, they are spaced way to far apart.
3: For some insane reason, my wipers are 23".
Old 07-31-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all of your input. As it turns out, I had new wipers put on before I left and they were not put on correctly.
Bobg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Just as an after thought. If you don't have a puller, but have a pair of needle nose pliers, you can put the pliers under the mechanisim and pry up with a flat tip screw driver or think box end wrench. The idea is to get a stead pull in all directions.

That was for any future repairs required.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobg43 View Post
I have a 2005 Itasca Sunrise 38J and have noticed that my passenger side wiper is lower than the driver side wiper. When I use the wipers, the passenger side wiper hits the bottom black molding at the bottom of the window. Is there a way that I can adjust the passenger side wiper assembly higher so that it does not hit the molding.

I am on a trip right now and will need to do the adjustment tomorrow.

Thanks
delete..
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote