Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Adams:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does your dish have any play in the gears?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
They are did (prior to the new Traveler series) and there's really not much you can do about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Winegard wanted me to basically tighten up the set screws that hold the gears to the shafts. This will take the "slop" out of the gear train.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Winegard wanted me to basically tighten up the set screws that hold the gears to the shafts. This will take the "slop" out of the gear train. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is correct that it will tighten up the azimuth but I don't believe that there is anything to tighten that will fix the worm gear connection for the elevation.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies. I made an appointment at my local RV repair shop who is a Winegard Rep. He said that he will try and diagnose the problem and work with Winegard before my warrenty period is up on January 9,2009. I will follow up with this thread later with my resolution.

Sammie
Sammie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:35 PM   #18

I haven't talked to my friend at DirecTV yet, but I did call Winegard today about the excessive slop on Elevation. He said it's quite common for the nylon elevation gear set screw to work itself loose (the gear is nylon). He said to just tighten it up (carefully as not to strip the nylon, or you're really s c r e w e d), and a dab of Locktight.

They do have some parts but it's basically at end of life. Having said that, they're really working to get these off the the market because they seem to be a constant service issue. I have the numbers at the office, but there are really generous trade-in allowances for any of their antennas, starting around $600 (exchange for a repair), all the way to the top-of-the-line Slimline for around $1100. Don't think I'm quite there yet.

As for the antennas not locking up, they are aware that there is an issue with these antennas, they say it started when DirecTV started the HD Ka&gt; Ku migration, but cannot explain why. Doesn't make sense to me either.. This dish finds 119, then does it calc from the GPS and looks in the neighborhood of 101, etc. He says that the problem is that it has trouble finding 119 in the 1st place and it goes downhill from there, but he says they always seem to get to 101. It bothers me that they can't seem to figure this out, most likely the consulting engineer that designed the thing is now long gone.

One day when there really is nothing to do I might take the spectrum analyzer over and watch whats out there during the search. Maybe it's getting a funky lobe off of EchoS9.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:32 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Jeff,who do you call to ask about a trade-in? I have a 2003 model with a bad azimuth motor. I keep getting a "Motor stalled" message.
Geri and Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:34 AM   #20

I just spoke with Ronnie at Winegard technical support. She was super nice and offered great pricing on stationary and in motion.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geri and Jim:
Jeff,who do you call to ask about a trade-in? I have a 2003 model with a bad azimuth motor. I keep getting a "Motor stalled" message. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The person I talked to was Tom.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:43 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Here are photos of my "temporary" sloppy gears fix.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:48 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Pretty slick engineering Tom. I tried that in Colorado last year and it helped to a certain extent.

Sammie
Sammie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark293:
I took both receiver from the moho and plugged them up to the house tv's. They fired right up and received a signal in just a few minutes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Just because your receivers work in the house doesn't mean they will work in the Rv. You will have a different dish type to select when in the coach. Try the oval dish 2 lnb. first.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:29 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Suncircles:
I recently purchased my used Journey and found only after the dealership's 30 day warranty was up that I had the same problem that Sammie has with a AS-2003. (Let the buyer beware!) I spent a week on the phone with Chris at Winegard troubleshooting the system using a new DISH receiver I had recently purchased but I couldn't get the system to lock on satellite 119. The interaction with Chris included (with cell phone in hand) me sitting on the roof of my MH, disassembling the unit and tightening all the gears (which were by the way all loose).

As a side bar, the store manager at the local Camping World said that Winegard was having a lot of problems with their circuit boards in their model AS-2003. That is why the model had been discontinued and, more importantly, why NO replacement parts were available. Of course, he then tried to sell me a new system.

Chris also said that no replacement parts were available for the AS-2003. After all troubleshooting efforts failed, Winegard, without admitting they had a circuit board problem to me, offered me a bargain price on their RoadTrip Dome Model if I would send the AS-2003 circuit boards back to them. DW insisted and I did take them up on their offer.

So, Sammie, first climb up there, take the system apart, exposing the Nylon gears and tighten the screws of the gears with an Allen Wrench. (Have both small size English and Metric Socks with you.) That removed a lot of slop in the movement of the dish/LNBF assembly in my unit. If that does not work, as it didn't for me, well your choice is to cough up the money if your unit is out of warranty (2 years) as mine was or forget about satellite tv. I wouldn't trust a used unit from Ebay without a return guarantee. Mark293 was lucky.

**I have enjoyed this forum very much and it has helped me in a lot of ways in understanding my first Winnebago Diesel Pusher. I thought I should join and give my 2 cents here as a form of payback. THANKS AND KEEP IT UP.** </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I had OE AS-2003. Two failures of the little green circuit card in the little metal box under the dish...same problems...would not lock on signal. Yes, Winegard factory tech reps admit problems with AS-2003 circuit cards...appears the card is very temperamental to voltage variations.

My cure: Junked all Winegard problems and went to MotoSat. No more problems... one button tune & lock....everytime!.... Bill Adams...on this same thread...turned my lights on for MotoSat replacement to eliminate Winegard problems. He was correct!

Pubtym is offline   Reply With Quote