Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2014, 07:48 AM   #1

Winegard TV antenna leaking

I have one of the crank-up Winegard TV antennas that has started dripping water around the crank handle. I lubed the antenna with silicone spray in October 2013 per the manual. In January 2014 it starts leaking. I've lubed it again today without success. Any suggestions?
LEHAFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #2

Flex SealŠ - Liquid Rubber Sealant in a Can! | From the Makers of Flex Seal
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #3

You have to inspect it and see what is broken or out of alignment. Mine is 13 years old and has not required any service for leaks however I did have to put a small hose clamp on the downlead boot to keep it in place on the mounting base.

What did the center tube and base on the roof look like when you pulled the spindle out to lubricate it? Nice and smooth or were there any cracks in it?
Old 01-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #4

homeless
Using Flex Seal in the mechanism might stop the leak around the batwing crank handle, but it surly will "gum up" the mechanism, rendering it USELESS.
IMO that's not a great solution to LEHAFER's problem.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #5

On re-read my manual says to put silicone grease in the gear box via the screw in grease cap on the mounting base up in the roof. The solvent used to suspend the silicone lube in many of the sprays out there can be very damaging to the plastics used in the elevator assembly and may have embrittled it causing your problem however the plastic parts only seem to align and don't really seal against weather.

I do see that the current manual says to use spray though:
http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2452013.pdf

Time to open it up and see whats going on there. You may just need to replace the 2 o-rings, reseal the base plate to the roof or you may have some damage from a low tree branch or high wind situation that has to be dealt with.

Check out groups 7 & 8 in the parts diagrams on page 7 of the linked manual to scope out where the o-rings are located and how the elevator goes together.

Tags
antenna, leak