Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-31-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago 27N two questions

Hi,

I'm looking at the 27N to replace my current motorhome. The one I'm looking at has the heat pump AC option. Since its a heat pump does it also provide heat as most heat pumps do or is it just for cooling?

The second question relates to the unit having the sofa inplace of the dinette. I actually like this option. The question is is the sofa comfortable especially to lounge on.

I have plans to go see the unit in two weeks assuming it's still there. It's been there a while so I suspect it will be.

Any input about the 27N would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

wildtoad, Yes the heat pump will produce heat. They do a good job down to about 45 degs.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Can't speak to the comfort of the sofa, but an air conditioner with heat pump does provide heat down to about 40º. In simple terms a heat pump is just an air conditioner running in reverse. Instead of pumping the heat out of the RV to make it cool, it takes the heat out of the outside air and pumps it into the RV. Below 40º it gets very inefficient to heat this way, so they often have electric heat elements to increase air temperature. In RVs, the LP gas furnace takes over below 40º.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the replies. I have a heat pump at my house, just did not know how they worked in an RV which also has a furnace.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

27N Couch

I found the couch small,and fairly uncomfortable. At 6 feet tall, I also found it way too short to lay out on.

I ended up ordering the dinette, and will look for a pair of recliners, or a reclining love seat to use in it's place.

Good Luck!
danhannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

27N Heat pump

I am also getting a 27N. I talked to one lady who doesn't use the heat pump because it is too noisy. She uses a space heater instead. The gas furnace seems very quiet on these rigs, not like the last one I had.

I have also camped beside people with heat pumps. They do run constantly to keep the temp up, because the air coming out of them is not that warm. So I am not going to get that option. I expect the AC to run a lot and be loud when it is really hot out - I guess we are used to that noise, but I am going with other heat options for the winter.

But if the heat pump is already on a coach you like, it will give you one more option - and thats a good thing!

I think the 27N is going to be the perfect fit for us - and seems to be a real well made coach!
Old 01-01-2015, 11:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
I am also getting a 27N. I talked to one lady who doesn't use the heat pump because it is too noisy. She uses a space heater instead. The gas furnace seems very quiet on these rigs, not like the last one I had.

I have also camped beside people with heat pumps. They do run constantly to keep the temp up, because the air coming out of them is not that warm. So I am not going to get that option. I expect the AC to run a lot and be loud when it is really hot out - I guess we are used to that noise, but I am going with other heat options for the winter.

But if the heat pump is already on a coach you like, it will give you one more option - and thats a good thing!

I think the 27N is going to be the perfect fit for us - and seems to be a real well made coach!
Thanks for the input. Have scheduled a visit to see it on the 14th. The sofa is not a big deal for me but the wife uses the one on the 30Q all the time.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I own a 2014 27N and it is a great fit for us (2 adults one dog). We have the dinette option and it meets our needs very well ( not so much for sleeping unless you are very small ).
You can rotate the front seats around so they can be used for sitting and watching TV. I have found that the A/C and furnace are very quiet compared to our other campers that we have owned. We really like the counter space that we have because we do like to cook our own meals
jules6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:14 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Jules

This is great input, since we are blasting thru Texas today and tomorrow to pick up our new 27N in Austin, and it's great to hear it works for you two and the dog.

By the way, this is a great great road - HWY 10 through Arizona. Smooth and fast, and a beautiful sunset tonight. You gotta love the desert scenery, though, or you will be bored.

I guess you're never quite sure if it is the rig for you until you actually buy it!

We also have 2 of us, and 1 dog, so it sounds like a good fit.

Very excited to pick this thing up and trade in the old....

Cheers,

Dan
Old 01-04-2015, 02:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

My Wife and I love our 27N! We have the dinette, which we really like for eating meals and for watching movies. When made into a bed its a perfect place for two people to watch a movie and I'm 6'4''.
The rooftop heater works well, it does take a minute to heat up each time it comes on. We use it and lp gas equally. The gas is instantly warm and stays quiet. Also, it just sips on the lp, it doesn't use much gas at all. And our two big dogs love it
kpshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We have just purchased the 2015 30T and it has the same rooftop unit as the 27N. That unit is not efficient when outside temps drop less than 50 degrees.
2015RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:08 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We also have only good things to say about our 2013 27n. It's a treat to drive and camp in. We just use it in the Spring, Summer and Fall. I store it in the Winter but take it out for a spin once a month or so for exercising the engine and generator. It occurred to me when I drove it the other day it gets more exercise than I do!
sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:10 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

This is great!

Well, nine hours later after arriving at the dealer I finally took delivery of the new 27n. Issues with the trade-in delayed things.

We are now camped for the first night, watching the big screen, and this is a great rig! Speaking with a whole 2 hours experience...

But what a step up! Sure has a lot of room, and everything is working as it should...

Knock on wood...

Dan
Old 01-06-2015, 05:55 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Good luck with your new RV.

Three things I have done to my 27N is

1 Installed sliding racks in the pantry (purchased a Lowes)

2 On the curb side in the bedroom under the shirt closet there is a carpeted area, I cut back the carpet and then cut the plywood, and installed a piano hinge to make a trap door that leads into the rear storage compartment and use it for a laundry shoot. With a basket in there all you do is lift it out and go.

3 Removed the metal cover on the stove and replaced it with a cutting board that I modified to fit.
jules6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago