Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2008, 06:35 AM   #1

I am new to this forum and just beginning the RV lifestyle. We are hoping to decide within the coming weeks. I have looked at a number of models. Am weighing the Damon Challenger with the Winnebago Sightseer for newer pick with bunks. We have 4 children and the bunk models offer a lot more in sleeping room. However, I have come across a Brave 1999 model with lower mileage, and seems clean. I am asking if anyone would give an opinion as to the Brave being a good model or to simply avoid considering it. Why did Winnebago stop making that model? Did it have flaws or a bad reputation? Thanks for any insight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:35 AM   #2

I am new to this forum and just beginning the RV lifestyle. We are hoping to decide within the coming weeks. I have looked at a number of models. Am weighing the Damon Challenger with the Winnebago Sightseer for newer pick with bunks. We have 4 children and the bunk models offer a lot more in sleeping room. However, I have come across a Brave 1999 model with lower mileage, and seems clean. I am asking if anyone would give an opinion as to the Brave being a good model or to simply avoid considering it. Why did Winnebago stop making that model? Did it have flaws or a bad reputation? Thanks for any insight.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #3

The Brave is a great coach. Winnie didn't really stop making them, they just changed the name (to Voyage). The Brave was a step below the Adventurer; not as "polished" but with the same solid performance (chassis & rv systems).
Understand that not having a slide-out can affect your resale of the coach when you go to 'move-up' a few years from now.
If the '99 Brave has OEM tires, you will need a new set; figure $1,600 on that. Also make sure that the coach has been used several times within the past year; -coaches that look great and have low mileage but no 'use' can be problematic (brakes, exhaust, furnace, fridge, are some of the things that need to be closely inspected).
Go to the "Find" tab with magnifying glass above; do an advanced search for "Brave" in the Winnebago Forum over the past 3 or 4 years. You'll find lotsa good info to help you make educated decisions.

Best of luck, and keep in touch with us.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 1999 Brave 35C with one slide. I am very happy with this motorhome. Mine is on the Ford F53 chassis with V10. When I compare this model to some of the newest, there are a lot of things I like about the 99 Brave more than the newest. One of these items is the cabinets. The quality appears better than the newer models.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:58 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Love my Brave. Never had any major problems. Quality of coach would not be a question. Have had to replace a few items, normal wear and tear and age. Great for me, the wife, cat and dog. Wife and 4 children children could get very crowded.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #6

Had a 99 Brave and LOVED it. Bought a new couch - sold 99 to friends who are as are on this forum are traveling all over the SW enjoying the Brave! Great coach for us and them. Well built and very few problems..... less than the newer Winnie.