Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2019, 09:39 AM   #3109

Winnebago Owners Club
Please sign me up! Thanks! JFC1
JFC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #3110

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry, here’s my rig info:
‘01 Journey DL DP; tow ‘01 Jeep Cherokee
JFC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:36 PM   #3111
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFC1 View Post
Please sign me up! Thanks! JFC1
Welcome to iRV2 & the Winnebago Owners Club. For your info we have a Winnebago Chat every Tuesday night (tonight) at 9 PM EST and you are always welcome to join in. If you have not already done so I would like to encourage you to go up to the New Member Check In and introduce yourself so more of our members get to know you.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:42 PM   #3112

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Snowbird1
Snowbird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:55 PM   #3113

Winnebago Owners Club
Winnebago Itasca Sunstar 26HE
pmoroney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #3114
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoroney View Post
Winnebago Itasca Sunstar 26HE
Welcome to iRV2 and the Winnebago Owners Club. For your info we have a Winnebago Chat every Tuesday night at 9 PM EST and you are always invited to join in whenever you wish.

If you have not already done so I would like to encourage you to go up to the New Member Check In and introduce yourself so more of our members get to know you.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 02-07-2019, 09:27 AM   #3115

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sign me up
Snowbird1
Dennis Lind
2011 Itasca 32H
Snowbird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:09 PM   #3116

Winnebago Owners Club
hey new member how do you get your info posted /
Cotton Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #3117

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi there, we're full-timers in England with a 1984 31' Elandan, imported in 1999. Would be great to be added!

Thanks.
misterduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #3118
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterduffy View Post
Hi there, we're full-timers in England with a 1984 31' Elandan, imported in 1999. Would be great to be added!

Thanks.
Welcome to iRV2 & the Winnebago owners Club. For your info we have a Winnebago Chat every Tuesday night at 9 PM EST and you are always invited to join us if you wish.

Don
Old 02-16-2019, 02:52 AM   #3119

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
UPDATE: To have the Winnebago Owner's Group name in your user name box:
User CP
iRV2 Groups
View all groups
Tiffin Winnebago Owners Club
Join Group

It's been some time since I first posted this information, during the interim we've had a lot of new members join our group. So, here it is again!

Should you choose to be identified as a "Winnebago Coach Forum Member", just reply to this post or shoot me an email.

Have fun & Happy Trails!

Ghost
'02 Adventurer 32V Ford
Various Toads
Sunny Arizona Desert
FMCA 300790.Good Sam.WIT.PCA-CVR. KOA, etc

I have not yet begun to procrastinate
Here again
dgkbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:54 PM   #3120

Looking at purchasing a 2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J with 45,000 miles on it. One owner, looks clean on the website and going to do a "hands on" this weekend.

Just looking for some general input, likes and dislikes on the 2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J. Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Rick
rhagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:44 PM   #3121

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2008 Sunova 35J, which is the “sibling” to the Sightseer and the same floorplan. I had looked at a couple of 2007’s during my hunt and aside from some cosmetic changes, the 2 years are identical in terms of layout and function. We have had ours for going on 3 years and have been very happy with it. We are family of 4, my wife, myself and twin 8-year-old boys. Since purchasing we have been mainly on trips through New England, however last year we did do a 2-week trip down to Disney in FL, camping/boondocking on our way down and back.

Overall the floorplan is very well laid out and the designers seem to have put a good deal of thought into it. There are a couple things I would change if I built it myself, but mainly its little nitpicky things like location of a particular switch, I would definitely give the coach design a "A" for form and functionality.

Starting in the back, the bedroom is well laid out with a good amount of storage/drawers, and one of the few coaches in this vintage that you are going to find with a King Bed. (Note, the fresh water tank and spare tire lives under the bed, you cannot store items under it like some coaches) I'm not a fan of having the window right over our head, light seems to creep down between the blinds and the window straight onto you face 1st thing in the am, we actually have a thin foam air conditioning gasket we have cut to the correct length and stick in between the window and the blinds. If the coach has the original mattress, plan on getting a foam or other form of topper, the mattress is very thin and VERY firm. (I joke that Winnie wanted to make sure you felt like you were sleeping outdoors, ON THE GROUND! =) If the coach has the rear TV option, despite being a tube TV, it should be a hybrid and can tune both analog and digital signals, which means it still can get channels off the antenna without a converter box. Check the sliding pocket door to the master bedroom, it can get off its track and be a pain to move. Lastly, with the slide in, you cannot access the drawers in the wall at the foot of the bed, you need to pack accordingly if you might be Wally docking and can’t open the slide. The rest of the RV is accessible with the slides in, this is the only real area that you lose.

The bath area is functional. To get the bunks you get a reduced bath area, but there is enough room to use the sink/toilet and the shower is decently sized. (I'm 6'2 and can shower without needing to perform gymnastics to get clean). We usually slide the pocket door between the kitchen and the “back” area shut when showering as you can use the hallway for some extra space. We did upgrade the shower head from the manufacturer issued to a "Oxygenics" one that we felt has a LOT more pressure, something my wife wanted for her hair. Our hot water heater has the ability to run in both gas and electric at the same time, which for us means you can take a long shower if desired without running out of water. (I’ve done that on purpose a couple times to flush the grey tank with soapy water, I think 30 min and the hot water was still going strong)

The bunks are decent, kids are happy to have their own space. This is probably the biggest “win” on this layout, you can put the kids to bed and STILL have the front living area fully useable, helpful on those wet nights. I've never slept on them, but my brother in law has (5'11) and he said they were ok. Winnie does not include a ladder or railing of any type, keep this in mind depending on your kids age. We ended up making a rail our of PVC Pipe (lots of instructions online) and snagged an old bunk bed ladder from a friend. We have the DVD Players in the bunks which are REALLY handy when your son rises with the sun at 4:45 am and you want a little more sleep! There is a master power switch in the top bunk, make sure that is flipped on before you try either unit. Double check the remotes as well. If damaged or missing, the manufacturer is located in NYC and can replace at a reasonable cost. ($8 I think?) The bunks don't have their own venting and the air can get a little "stale" with the curtains pulled, I purchased 2 USB powered desktop clip on fans from Amazon and a USB Car power adaptor to plug them into the power port in each bunk (keeps the AC outlets free and works on battery when boondocking). This REALLY seems to keep the temps more reasonable in there and has the added bonus of a little white noise to help knock the kiddos out. The drawer under the bunk can EASILY hold 2 weeks of kid clothes, books, toys etc.

Kitchen/dining area is pretty standard. We cook most of our meals outside and only use when raining, which luckily for us hasn't been many times. The pantry holds a large amount of food, and the sliding drawers make it all accessible. The fridge is reasonable, however on longer trips it’s a game of moving in items (water, soda etc) to replenish items as you use them. We have found it will hold a weeks worth of food very well, beyond that you will be shuffling things most likely. Plan on getting the "Bars" that help keep things in the fridge when traveling! The oven can be a PAIN to get lit, but I think that is just the nature of the beast, lots of complaints about that across many of the brands. When I bought mine, the owner joked his wife would have to demo for me, he could never make the darn thing work. If your unit has the drawers under the dinettes, be careful loading up the "sliding trays", too much weight and they are going to come flying out in the 1st turn. There is storage under the dinette behind those drawers as well, (the drawers are only roughly half the space) but you need to pull the cushions to get to it.

The dinette is listed as another sleeping area. Unless they are a kid or a short adult, I’d say its not. This is a common item though on most class A’s, this model line isn’t unique here.

If the unit has the factory inverter, DEFINTELY try it out. Its located in the area under the kitchen sink, perfectly in line with the splash zone should you have any plumbing issues. Trust me on that. (why someone said "Lets put the power inverter right where the water flows" is BEYOND me)

The overhead cabinets on both sides will hold a fair amount of stuff, we actually "downsized" our cabinets this fall, we had stuff we hadn't touched since we bought the RV (glasses, plates etc) and thus it came out and stayed out.

Living room area is the common setup to most RV's. The seating is Comfy in my humble opinion and if the weather drives you inside, there is places to sit. I actually really like the drivers seat to recline and read a book, its really comfy. We have the leather option for the upholstery in our coach, it has held up REALLY well to kids. (we are the 3rd family to put a set of kids through the coach) The previous owner upgraded the TV, so I can't speak to the OEM TV.

If you have the sofa with the air mattress, know that the Sofa is an odd length and most aftermarket mattresses are a little too long and will hang out over the end of the couch and droop. Winnie charges a fortune for the OEM one so it’s a decision you will need to make when replacing. We have only had one person sleep on couch for one night, so it wasn’t a big deal.

We don't do a ton of boondocking, but in the limited use we have of dry-camping, you can go a few days on the water if people are reasonable. It always seems like we run out of black/grey storage before we run out of fresh water. Battery capacity is fair as well, and the genset is there to charge you up in a hurry.

The coach is a 30 amp service but has the 2 AC units. You will need to do some "juggling" in the summer to run both A/C's and the rest of the appliances in the coach, especially if you have the electric option for the water heater. Typically we switch off the bedroom AC unit when using the electric option on the heater, there just isn't enough juice to run all 3. The power management system does load shed to help with this, but it’s easier to just shut off the bedroom AC and not deal with it. The A/C ducting is all shared so air still goes through the whole coach, just not as "strong". Honestly, it took a weekend to get used to it and now is second nature, we haven't had an issue with it. You will find what works for you, but know that yes, you can run both A/C's at the same time, but you have to plan accordingly. (when I say same time, you have to start them one at a time, start em both right up and you are gonna have a dark coach when the breaker trips)

Outside Basement storage is decent, you can definitely haul some stuff. Only complaint here, the rear basement doors are under the bunk slide when extended, you ARE going to hit your head on the slide when extended, just plan on it.

This is a little subjective, but I like the drive on ours. It’s not a diesel by any means, but I have found it solid on the highway, and while an 8 hour drive is definitely going to wear you out, I'm not all beat up and exhausted when done. (Last years trip to FL was 3 10 hour days each day) We did have an issue with vibration, but that was solved with a new set of tires. The suspension seems fine, however every once in a while, you will hit a bump that sounds like the shocks will come through the floor, just the nature of the beast. Lots of people recommend upgrading the shocks to Koni if not happy here. We do not notice any issues with the RV excessively swaying when passed by trucks or other large vehicles, I see that complaint a lot in the forums across the brands. (We ran I-81 and I-77 going to FL which is a HEAVY Truck route)

LOTS of info on upgrading the Ford or Workhorse frames if desired. Ours is the Ford Platform. Parts are relatively cheap and easy to obtain at your local auto parts store or online. I’m not super handy, but I have changed the oil, air filters, fuels filters etc. Engine noise is reasonable, my wife and I can chat while on the highway and not feel like we are shouting. Know that the engine likes rev high to get its power, when that happens, you will hear it. Lots of info on the 5 Star Tune out there, I don’t have it so I can’t speak to it but lots of people say the engine is even better with it. BY the 2007 and on range, Ford has worked out most of the bugs, if it’s been maintained you should be ok.

Winnie has LOTS of info online, you can get design drawings and part #’s for everything. I had a slide issue a couple years ago and they were really a great help in trying to run the issue down.

Other items to look for:

* Check the windshield area for leaks. Units of this era have a windshield/frame design that can lead to leaks. (lots of posts out there if you google) Things to look for are water spots on dash/A pillar, or black "dust" on the dash, which is the paint peeling off the metal frame. This can be band-aided with caulking/other "goo", but eventually you are going to have an expensive problem.

* Check the jacks for leaks. The jacks have a seal at the bottom that can wear out over time leading to them to leak fluid. You will see the "foot pad" of the jack looking damp or “oily”. They do have grease points to help with this, however it can't always fix a shot seal.

* If the tires are more than 7 years old, no matter how good the tread looks, plan on replacing. (Lots of threads on this and the cost)

* Check the sway bars underneath the coach front and back. They have a rubber bushing that can wear out. Not a hard or expensive fix, but it could affect the handling. There are aftermarket ones that are popular to firm up the ride. (I replaced mine last year as 1 had completely disintegrated, honestly didn’t notice much of a difference but I’m still happy with the handling so………)

* Check for rust around the storage areas. Just my opinion, but my unit and lots I've seen online seem to get rust around those areas. I spent a week last summer scraping and painting with POR 15, not fun.

* If the unit has the side cameras, check the cameras for fogging. They come in a waterproof housing. The gaskets can fail leading to the cameras fogging when humid, this can't be easily fixed. New cameras run around $300 (ish)

* Even if warm, run the heater. I checked out my unit in the summer on a REALLY hot day. Learned in the fall that the motor had a bad bearing (I don’t think the previous owner ever used it) that made the whole coach shake, rattle and roll when the furnace spun up. You were NOT sleeping through that!

* Check the roof where it meets the sidewall. That whole area should be caulked in place, but the caulk will eventually wear out. Not a deal killer if some has, but you want to make sure the roof hasn’t popped out of the channel as that can lead to damage.

* Check the lights/lenses. The side, amber marker lights are no longer manufactured (Manu went bankrupt) and replacement lens covers go for a real pretty penny on ebay. ($25 for a $3 part)

* Test the slides. The slide design is pretty robust on these, but slide issues can get really expensive really fast. If you run a slide in or out and the LED on the controller starts flashing at the end, it’s trying to tell you something, google the # of flashes.

* Test the dash radio, it is your Radio and TV DVD player. The DVD has parts that will wear out over the years. Good news is the modern Jensen’s are an easy plug and play replacement, and lots of aftermarket out there as well.

* If the unit has full body paint, check the clearcoat for peeling, especially on the roof where it meets the walls. The paint manufacturer seemed to have a couple bad years and the roof where it curves to the walls seems to be where it manifests itself.

* If the plumbing "sings" when you run the water, one or both of the check valves on the water heater is giving up the ghost. Cheap part and in concept a easy replacement, but it can be a challenge getting to this area of the plumbing and years of heating may make the valves a real challenge to get out without a LONG breaker bar.

* Common to all RV's, check the A/C filters, they can plug up with dust quickly. These AC units will also drip water through the ceiling vent into the coach if their condensation tray gets plugged up. Both are easy to access and clean out.

I think that is about it off the top of my head while here at work. There are plenty of posts here on things to look at when buying a RV in general, but this hopefully gives you an idea of the model line. If I had to do it again, I would buy mine again in a heartbeat, and have actually dream shopped the “Vista LX 35B” which is the new version of ours with a VERY similar layout. Feel free to PM me if any other thoughts or questions, happy to help!
Old 03-04-2019, 09:40 AM   #3122

Looking at the Navion with the Murphy bed and want to see what users have to say
Sandriver1 is offline   Reply With Quote