Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #61
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, that is how we handle it too. I really don't understand why Winnebago didn't have a fan on the A/C position on the thermostat. The simple answer might be to change the thermostat. I don't think the unit cares if the fan is running or not. I have not had a chance to look into that.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #62
Winnie-Wise

Mr.Cleane - We toured the Winnebago factory a couple of months ago and were told there would be no more basement air conditioners in any of the models.
Bo
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #63
Winnebago Master

TexasTC,
I'm very surprised that the thermostat does not have a "Fan On" position. I have seen a lot of thermostats on MH's and 5'ers that control two zones and has an "Auto" position and "Fan on" position on the thermostat, either a manual "slider" switch, or digital "push the button" indicator. I guess my question is, are you sure it does not have a fan on position where the compressor kicks in and out?

I personally prefer the "Auto" position and it is something that one has to get used to after a couple nights cycling.

p.s., usually on the digital types the "mode" button will change the setting
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #64
Winnebago Owner

Surprised me also. The mode swich on the dual control thermostat has either fan or auto, high, or low a/c. We use the auto position and the fan and compressor work in unison. The fan only runs when the room temperature calls for the compressor to run to cool the ambient air. Wish it weren't the case but on my coach, that is the way it operates.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #65
Winnebago Camper

Basement Air

New Journey's have air conditioners on top which greatly increases height of coach. Yes, height of door on storage shed becomes an issue. We really like our basement air on our 2007 Journey because of the quiet operation after having other brands with air on top. Personally, I'm very sorry to see it go by the wayside.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #66
Winnebago Master

TexasTC,
If you don't mind, what is the Mfg and model # of the thermostat?

Also, have you called Winnebago? There help line is sometimes very useful.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #67
Winnebago Owner

Maybe a good question might be:

Does any roof mounted air conditioner by Coleman, Dou Therm or Dometic have a continuious fan position with the air conditioner operation?

I installed a Coleman PS1500 roof air to supplement my basement air so that while in the southwest during the summer months I won't rost if I'm not parked under the shade. It does not have a continous fan with air position either.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #68
Winnebago Owner

I believe my last coach had Dometic. There were two units with seperate thermostats for each system. Those thermostats had swtches that allowed for the fan to run contiuous and the compressor would cycle on/off as required.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #69
Winnebago Owner

Wayne M

I got a chance to go out to the RV and the thermostat says RV Comfort.ZC on the front of the unit. I did not see a model number passed that. Everything works off a slide switch for off, heat, air. Past that, there is a two directional button that allows you to pick the zone and mode. There is a another toggle type switch that allows the selection of the temperature by clicking up or down. That's it, very simple but not quite as functional as I would like. I have the promotional brochure for the 2011 Journey and the picture in the brochure is the same as I have in my coach.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #70
Winnebago Owner

Basement Air/Heat Pump - 2007 Itasca 35A

We started having trouble with our basement air conditioner last year. The repair involved removing the unit to have it recharged. The ac worked better but still required a follow up appointment which resulted in the thermostat being replaced. It has since been working well but marginal in very hot weather. I have never had a roof air conditioner so I can not make a comparison between the two systems.

I only have one zone. I understand that most 35' motorhomes with roof air would have two units each responsible for one zone/area. This would be more efficient in a high power rate area. I think I would prefer the latter.

Cheers, Knightly
35A Itasca sunrise, 3 slides, W24 chassis; Toad-HHR
Knightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #71

We have had both. The top air was a bit better. However from my point of view; The units. Basement air , are based on the same consept as the home refrig. We have had home frigs work for 25 years. altho they heven't been bouncing down the road; But"" my real problem is. In my gearage do I rip out a 10" concreat floor ? or do I raise the Building. as I have 12 feet 6 inches door height. I am looking for the last year they built a basement air. Maybe a 2008 tour. ?? WHY does life have to be so complicated ???
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #72
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
....... I am looking for the last year they built a basement air......... ???
I believe you will find that the last model year that WBGO used basement air in their coaches was 2010. I believe ALL of the 2011 model year coaches went to roof air "exclusively".
Ed
Old 06-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #73
Winnebago Master

Texas TC, put mode in Cool Hi or Cool Lo, should do as you want.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #74
Winnebago Watcher

I heard winnebago had to make room for the diesel emission componets therefore had to use that space where the ac was located
turnkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #75
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
Texas TC, put mode in Cool Hi or Cool Lo, should do as you want.
That is what we do but the fan cycles on and off with the compressor. I want the fan to run all the time and the compressor to cycle when needed.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

TxTC
Old 06-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #76
Winnebago Camper

Who ever was mfging (maybe Coleman?) the bsmt air for winnie quit making that specific unit. That left Winnie looking for a new supplier. Many mfg's don't want their units installed in anything other than stick houses. One sales person at the Tampa Super show said that bsmt air was NO Longer available. Who knows? Guess it all depends if they found a new supplier that will mfgr one to their specific needs and spec. ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #77
Winnebago Master

TxTC,

Mine fan stays on in that mode, compressor cycles. My tstat on front says RVCOMFORT.zc

I would have it checked out, book says it should work that way.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #78
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
I would hope they're smart enough to do focus groups or research about how people like or dislike them. I for one think it's one of the best features. The roof air is so loud.
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #79
Winnebago Camper

Smile

[QUOTE=Mr.Cleane;1213791]Did Winnebago ever quit the basement air thing? Are there fixes?

I revived this older thread because I had just bought a 2005 Vectra and noticed my basement air was not performing as I felt it should. In fact the last weekend camping trip I took here in Arkansas I literally had to run the diesel motor all day with the dash air on max to help supplement the basement air just to keep the air cooled to the 80's. It was 107 that day.
So I took it back to the dealer and they found a wire that was corroded and not allowing the second compressor to activate even though it showed power going to it.
Now I'm happy to say that after getting it back yesterday I checked it and the return air was at 90 degrees and the outgoing air was at 68. I'm satisfied and appreciate Moix RV in Conway Arkansas for working with me on this and many issues that I discovered after I had purchased this coach from them. They fixed all on their dime with parts and labor totaling close to $3000.00.
Now I'm a happy cool camper and ready to get back on the road asap!
Mr.Cleane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #80
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
TxTC,

Mine fan stays on in that mode, compressor cycles. My tstat on front says RVCOMFORT.zc

I would have it checked out, book says it should work that way.

Thanks for the input. I used the high/low air conditioning settings on my trip to Colorado last week and it indeed worked as advertised. My confusion came because it did not cycle on immediately like my former coaches had done. It took a few minutes for the fan/compressor to come on and then it worked like you said. I guess I just did not allow this delay to occur in the past and went ahead and went to auto thinking it was not working as it should. I am really glad to know that is works with fan continuous and compressor cycling. We used it often on our trip.

Thanks again,

TxTC