RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #29

Any tips and how to's on winterizing the minnie? I own the 2101DS. THANKS.

Rogonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #30

I think it depends largely on how cold it gets and if you intend to use it over the winter. I'm in Atlanta, so our winters are usually mild and sustained temps below 32F are not that common. But we do get extreme cold snaps too (teens to low 20s for several days.

I use antifreeze only in the "outbound" side of the system. All drains, holding tanks (black/gray). I blow out the water lines with compressed air and drain the water heater and pump.

This is cheap and makes it relatively easy to camp for a weekend.
Putting antifreeze in the pipes is needed for northern climate, but trying to rinse it out completely is a real chore, if at all possible.

TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #31

Water Dripping Outside from Valves

I have a 2014 2101DS Minnie and we are on our test trip. There are two drip tubes underneath and to the back side. One is red and the other blue and easy to see. All was fine until this evening. A lot of water was coming out the blue when either on city water or using the pump with fresh water. What is this tube and possible cause..turn the city or fresh water pump off and it stops.
Thanks,
Roger
Rogonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #32

OK...I own a 2201DS...so my answer is based on my trailer. The two lines you are seeing are the drain lines for draining all water out of the system. On my trailer, they are located near the hot water heater, which is under our bathroom sink. You'll have to remove an access panel and then you just have to close the valve. It was probably left in the open position during construction. While you have the panel removed, you can see the valves for bypassing the water heater when using RV antifreeze.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #33

These sound like either pressure release or drain valve tubes for the hot water tank and water pump, or overflow tubes for the tanks. Red for hot, blue for cold maybe. On my 2013 2451 there is an automatic valve that switches from park water to the water tank. Hopefully you are using a water pressure reducer when you hook up to park water. Normally I would think that the automatic switch had failed and your fresh water tank was filling from the park water and overflowing.

Since this is happening on both park water and pump water, I'd suspect that it has something to do with the pump drain. In any case your trailer is new and after your test run you probably have a laundry list of items that need fixing (I certainly did) take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. It would be nice if these manufacturers would provide a schematic for both the electrical and plumbing systems or at least a "shop manual" that you can buy (like with a car).

Hope this helps, good luck,

Bill
tunafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogonna View Post
I have a 2014 2101DS Minnie and we are on our test trip. There are two drip tubes underneath and to the back side. One is red and the other blue and easy to see. All was fine until this evening. A lot of water was coming out the blue when either on city water or using the pump with fresh water. What is this tube and possible cause..turn the city or fresh water pump off and it stops.
Thanks,
Roger
OK, those two tubes are the low-point drains for the water system. Mine are under the sink, but regardless of location, they should not be dripping. Access them from inside and you will see a 90 degree elbow with what looks like a plastic valve with little metal spring-clips in its side. These valves do not turn, but rather pull up to release water from the system. DO NOT try to pull on those metal spring clips. Simply grab the valve handle and pull up to open and push down to seal. Make sure the water pressure is OFF.

My guess is that one of the valves is not properly seated back down or may have some frost damage. It's important to run some antifreeze through these if you are planning to winterize with it.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #35

Here's what they look like:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131120-00476.jpg
Views:	3820
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	50391
Old 04-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #36

Took our 2014 2201ds out for its maiden voyage this past weekend. Loved it, easy to set up and extremely comfortable. You can see us coming - it's the yellow one.
We upgraded from an Adventure RPM 23Fb, toy hauler. Great for hauling 2 Harleys, but no so comfortable for camping. Love our new Minnie.
bbird76020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbird76020 View Post
Took our 2014 2201ds out for its maiden voyage this past weekend. Loved it, easy to set up and extremely comfortable. You can see us coming - it's the yellow one.
We upgraded from an Adventure RPM 23Fb, toy hauler. Great for hauling 2 Harleys, but no so comfortable for camping. Love our new Minnie.
Congrats!
Post some pics!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #38

We're down to two days on a 2+ week trip to Florida and New Orleans....heading back to Ohio on Friday. It's the longest trip we've taken so far with the 2201DS. We like the trailer very much, and I've got a list of some modifications to make. Only one new complaint...the seat cushions on the dinette leave a lot to be desired as they "bottom out" too easily. When we get home, I'm going to see what a local upholstery shop would charge to replace the foam with higher grade foam. If his price is too high, I'll be ordering some replacement foam cushions online.

Aside from that, the trailer really does seem to be well made. We've had some bouncy roads, and all the seams and places where separation would be possible are staying nice and tight. And, we haven't seen any other Winnebago towables at campgrounds so far. But, we'll keep looking.

If you see our white 2201DS, you'll recognize it by the NY city skyline on the back!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:35 AM   #39

We spent a few days in Savannah last week and the ride down I-16 from Macon GA is super bouncy mis-aligned concrete slab. I knew this beforehand, so I took the TV down and secured everything as best I could. Only issue I found was that a few of the phillips head scews around the "skirt" trim below the fiberglass were loose. I added a couple drops of locktite and put them back in.

I suggest everyone check these.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Richmond Hill-20140402-00820.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	650.9 KB
ID:	60329  
Old 04-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #40

Does anyone tie the table and tv down while transporting? And if so, how?
bbird76020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:02 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbird76020 View Post
Does anyone tie the table and tv down while transporting? And if so, how?
I take the tv off the bracket and lay it on the bed.
Not sure how yours is laid out, but mine came with a strap like this:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	inside5.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	60385  
Old 04-18-2014, 05:20 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB48 View Post
We bought a bright yellow 1805 Minnie last spring. Because of a series of family crises this summer, we got one weekend in May or so, and a week from Victoria BC to Grande Prairie via Prince George and return (rather than the Yukon trip we had planned).

We like our " Buttercup". I made several modifications that others might be interested in.
1. Switched out all of the incandescent lamps to LEDs. I found 24 on the web for $27. Now we can have ALL of the lights on, and still draw less than one incandescent lamp. We can dry camp for 3 days on our two 6 volt batteries before we need to charge - which we do when we drive 300 km or so. I also installed 21 LED spots on the wall above the bed for reading at night.
2. I built one deep drawer and two shallow drawers under the dinette seats, for food, canned goods and cups/dishes. Very much better than lifting up the seats every time you want to access those spaces!
3. I had several old hard disks in my junk drawer, so I took the ceramic magnets out of them, mounted them on a plastic sheet on the wall near the sink and we keep knives and kitchen tools there rather than in the drawer. Handy.
4. I also built a bookshelf between the fridge and front storage locker, to store our books and reference library.

Our Toyota Tacoma pulls it fine on flat ground, but has to work on hills. If I keep the revs below 3000 I have to slow down, sometimes to 50 or 60 kph. We did get up the long long Coquihalla 18% grades, but I am glad there were slow lanes! I do not like narrow two lane highways with no passing lanes. There are too many impatient idiots on the roads.

We will probably get solar for next summer' and remove the TV and air conditioner (to save weight) since we plan to go north not south. We will also be much more careful about how much weight we carry. The Tacoma really sucked gas pulling the trailer, and with a load in the truck it was even worse.
-----------------

GREAT Post & additions...
Sally & I r planning semi-FULL-time later this year in our LUV & Adventure Minnie too...
being an avid back-packer & after many cross-country trips -- now need my Minnie to explore more & easier...
Pls keep updated on your additions & would luv to hear on your solar plans & options; just now investigating; we need to fully boondock !!
Thanks Again...

BobbyD16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago