RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2019, 12:27 AM   #4551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
I bought the TST 507 TPMS system and used the factory tires for almost 3 years without problems. I never trusted the Chinese tires. Before our 2,000 mile trip to Key West, I put the Goodyear Endurance tires on. Four of them cost almost $500 by the time I paid all the taxes and fees. So far, I have about 2,500 miles on them and they still look new. They seem to be good tires and I have more confidence in them than the originals. They have a higher weight and speed rating than the originals. Was it worth it? To me it was because I'm kind of OCD when it comes to safety.

Yea thatís my thing I rather just pay the 5ish and be safe than sorry I feel a lot better with a better tire on it

winnebagosmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2019, 12:28 AM   #4552

And prolly just post the factoryís on Craigslist list thereís only about 1000 miles on it if that

winnebagosmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:57 AM   #4553

CarolinaCats, wow what a wonderful trip. We really enjoyed Alaska in 2013.

Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #4554

Under kitchen sink "leak" fixed

I have been chasing a random "leak" under our kitchen sink on our 2500RL. We would go days with no water under there and I could never see any drips or source for the leak. I had checked all connections, snugged the sink hold down screws, and we're both pretty good about not letting water sit around the sink edge etc.

It was my wife, who is way smarter than I who suggested it was condensation, and sure enough that's what it is. It has been cooler than we have normally had but we have only had one night that was actually freezing. Test last night revealed a bit of dampness on the paper towel left under there but it wasn't close to freezing, so not as much condensation.

So until I can either see about insulating the pipes or possibly just adding a square of insulation to that wall, we'll be leaving the cupboard door open at night to allow warm air in there.

Hope this will help someone else track down an elusive "leak".
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #4555

So far I have not noticed any leaks. Best of luck finding it. Condensation could be the culprit.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:01 AM   #4556

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I have been chasing a random "leak" under our kitchen sink on our 2500RL. We would go days with no water under there and I could never see any drips or source for the leak. I had checked all connections, snugged the sink hold down screws, and we're both pretty good about not letting water sit around the sink edge etc.

It was my wife, who is way smarter than I who suggested it was condensation, and sure enough that's what it is. It has been cooler than we have normally had but we have only had one night that was actually freezing. Test last night revealed a bit of dampness on the paper towel left under there but it wasn't close to freezing, so not as much condensation.

So until I can either see about insulating the pipes or possibly just adding a square of insulation to that wall, we'll be leaving the cupboard door open at night to allow warm air in there.

Hope this will help someone else track down an elusive "leak".
We had a similar leak under our kitchen sink on our 2401RG. It was the combination air gap and check valve for the black tank flush. A few of us have had to replace them and used brass ones. It is usually tied up as high as it can fit under one of your sinks.

http://https://www.amazon.com/JR-Pro...RV+check+valve
Old 01-26-2019, 08:25 AM   #4557

Quote:
Originally Posted by neschultz View Post
We had a similar leak under our kitchen sink on our 2401RG. It was the combination air gap and check valve for the black tank flush. A few of us have had to replace them and used brass ones. It is usually tied up as high as it can fit under one of your sinks.

http://https://www.amazon.com/JR-Pro...RV+check+valve
I replaced mine.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:03 AM   #4558

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunafish View Post
We just picked up our Minnie Winnie, its a 2013 Yellow 2451 (29 ft total).

We're not sure about the toilet system. Seems an awful like a port a potty at an outdoor festival. The refuse just drops straight down into the tank. We own a big boat and it's potty has a pump which macerates everything and sends it to the tank. It just doesn't just sit there in a clump waiting for you to open the drop hatch to release a whiff. I know to use the enzyme stuff but I can just see a big clump forming and the drain clogging.
The toilet you describe is pretty much standard on RV's. A few high end motorhomes with a second bath use a macerator toilet that pumps to the black tank that the other toilet dumps straight into, but this is not the norm. Virtually every travel trailer and motorhome has just what yours has.

Be sure and put several gallons of water in your black tank and figure out if the bath sink might also drain into the black tank (many do) and use this as much as possible, this adds much needed water to the black tank.

Don't park in a full hook up site and hook up the sewer and leave the valves open, you end up with a poop pyramid. Instead let the tanks fill and then dump the black, then gray to rinse the hose out.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #4559

Greetings folks. I've read hundreds of posts in this thread. Much of it confirms that Minnies are the best quality for the price I can afford. 2455BHS is the perfect trailer for my family. If I could afford Nash or Lance I would get one of those but like with everything big and expensive you have to set limits or get yourself in trouble. I've been trying to find a 2016 or 17 lightly used unit but they are few and far between unless I drive 1k miles round trip to buy it. I'll do it if I have to but would prefer to stay within 150 miles of home if possible.

I'm starting to toy with the idea of a new one and could use some advice... There are 3-4 new 2018 models on dealer lots within a reasonable distance. They're already discounted down to 22-25k (33-34k msrp). Any idea how much negotiating room I have left? My orignal budget was 20k all in including sales tax. I want some money left over to buy things like Goodyear tires, generator, etc. I'm considering offering 20k otd not including sales tax. Will I get laughed at? Lol. Any chance for even lower?

My TV is a 2015 hemi Ram 1500 with factory tow package and 3.92 gears. Payload is 1430lbs and max weight is 10k. The 2455BHS tongue is approx 800-850lbs loaded) and total weight (7k max). This leaves a good bit of weight cushion so my truck fits but how about the driving experience? I'll have a Blue Ox WDH and have no issue swapping rear springs if needed (prob not). I do plan on taking some long trips so I'm hoping this trailer doesn't push the limits with driving experience. If anyone has towed the 2455 model with a half ton pickup I'd love to hear how it does on highways and grades.

One last question... is spring a good time to find a used trade in? It's only Feb and I'm patient. If it's more likely that used unit supply increases as camping season gets closer then I'll hold off on going new for now.

Looking forward to becoming a new member to the Minnie family!
BobChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #4560

I can't help with the pricing/discounts, sounds like they are already discounted pretty good. We don't haggle much with dealers as we believe they are in business to make money, so we're willing to pay a fair price for them to still be in business.

Sounds like your truck should be OK, watch your payload, as things add up quick and at 1400lbs you won't have a lot of wiggle room. Scale your trailer once loaded like you will usually travel, with fresh water filled etc. if that's how you plan to use it. I have a tongue weight scale that has been helpful in knowing exactly what my tongue weight is and helps you to adjust your loading if needed.

Our 2500RL tows very well behind our 3.5l Ecoboost F-150 but that's with their tow package and HD suspension so my payload is 2200lbs. It's s Supercab with an 8' bed and I think the long wheelbase contributes a lot to the stability. The trailer scaled at 5896lbs loaded normally (5160lb dry weight). We've never had a scary experience with sway or anything in the 3 years we've been using it. Love our Ecoboost as it pulls like a diesel up hills and handles the trailer easily.

Good luck on your search, and post pics of your new trailer.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:08 PM   #4561

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I can't help with the pricing/discounts, sounds like they are already discounted pretty good. We don't haggle much with dealers as we believe they are in business to make money, so we're willing to pay a fair price for them to still be in business.

Sounds like your truck should be OK, watch your payload, as things add up quick and at 1400lbs you won't have a lot of wiggle room. Scale your trailer once loaded like you will usually travel, with fresh water filled etc. if that's how you plan to use it. I have a tongue weight scale that has been helpful in knowing exactly what my tongue weight is and helps you to adjust your loading if needed.

Our 2500RL tows very well behind our 3.5l Ecoboost F-150 but that's with their tow package and HD suspension so my payload is 2200lbs. It's s Supercab with an 8' bed and I think the long wheelbase contributes a lot to the stability. The trailer scaled at 5896lbs loaded normally (5160lb dry weight). We've never had a scary experience with sway or anything in the 3 years we've been using it. Love our Ecoboost as it pulls like a diesel up hills and handles the trailer easily.
Much appreciated bross. I'm buying a scale for sure. I'm really analytical with that stuff. I should be fine with payload. Dry weight is just under 5300lbs. I don't think I'll ever get close to 7k. That's a lot of stuff. We normally take 2 cars when we vacation or tent camp with our kids. Should be no problem keeping the weight down in my truck with an extra car to load with people and gear. The grand plan is to use this trailer until my younger kids go to college in 5 years and then buy a rolling house and diesel 3/4 ton to tow it around. My wife and I have paid our dues in life and we're both retiring early. Once we do we're selling our house, buying a condo in FL, and touring North America on multi month legs. We'll do plenty of boondocking then. The Minnie will be mostly used at campgrounds with hookups.

You have a really nice truck! I looked at F150s but they were budget busters. I always buy 2-3 year old lightly used cars and trucks and even a 2 year old well equipped F150 was steep. I got a steal on my Ram so it was a no brainer when I found it. It's been a great machine so far. First Mopar truck and I was a little nervous but all fears are gone now. Ram build a nice truck for the money. Been all Chevys and Fords until this one.
BobChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:13 PM   #4562

Great to have you joining the Minnie family BobChill. Your RAM 1500 will pull that 2455BHS just fine. Our RAM 1500 pulls our 2250DS just fine also and we only have a 3.21 rear end. We bought the Minnie (our second Minnie) last March and pulled it over 5,000 miles last year. Will probably do the same this year. Again, welcome.

When you get your Minnie you have to get one of these custom made signs.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:22 AM   #4563

Hi BobChill, welcome to the forum. I have a very similar setup to what you’re considering. I have a 2018 2455BHS towed by a 2017 Toyota Tundra. I love the camper and love the truck but the payload is close to yours and limits what I put in the truck while towing. But, it works fine towing my Minnie, and I’ve spent a lot of time at a Cat Scale verifying and setting up my WDH. Like you I wanted to make sure I’m okay on weight.

We paid 23.5k out the door in November 2017 for ours. If you’re looking at 2018 models, I would think you could get the price lower at this date.

FYI my weights loaded for camping with full propane and some chairs and kids’ toys in my pass through storage were 5800 lbs total and 960 tongue (including the WDH). Now I put some more things in the rear storage under the bunks to reduce the tongue weight some.
Br0wnBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #4564

Welcome BobChill! Offer'em 20k out the door and negotiate from there. Nothing at all wrong with that as long as you are ready to deal THAT day, if they agree.

przero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago