Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #57

There's really only one option, which is to tow it to a local hitch/trailer place and have them weld up a receiver to the frame rails. Nothing attached to the bumper for that kind of setup.
You'll also need to wire in a 4 plug harness for the bike trailer.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyD16 View Post
Thanks Gary,

Just some questions on the following, we too need to install reading lights (definitely 1 Winnie overlook) ... ;
"I also installed 21 LED spots on the wall above the bed for reading at night."

- where did you tap into electric to hook-up these reading lights?
- can you share the reading light you installed; perhaps with photo and "amazon" reference for buying?

? any updates on the solar install yet?

Thanks for your info...

Hi Bobby

I just used ones I found at the RV dealer (see photo). They were expensive ($25 each I think) but did the trick quickly and well. I tapped into the electric lines leading to the installed light over the bed, then drilled a hole through into the cupboard above the bed. The lines then go along the inside of the cupboard to the outside wall, then down the surface of the wall to the window valence, then horizontally behind the valence to the lights themselves.

Each light has its own switch, is directable and makes a good place to hang flashlight or glasses!

You might also see in the upper corner of this photo that I have taken the panels out of the cupboards above the table - because we found the back corners of those cupboards hard to access. The one at the other end nicely fits two boxes of wine - the spigots are nicely handy!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1399425363.248689.jpg
Views:	1082
Size:	821.4 KB
ID:	62245
GaryB48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB48 View Post
Hi Bobby

I just used ones I found at the RV dealer (see photo). They were expensive ($25 each I think) but did the trick quickly and well. I tapped into the electric lines leading to the installed light over the bed, then drilled a hole through into the cupboard above the bed. The lines then go along the inside of the cupboard to the outside wall, then down the surface of the wall to the window valence, then horizontally behind the valence to the lights themselves.

Each light has its own switch, is directable and makes a good place to hang flashlight or glasses!

You might also see in the upper corner of this photo that I have taken the panels out of the cupboards above the table - because we found the back corners of those cupboards hard to access. The one at the other end nicely fits two boxes of wine - the spigots are nicely handy!Attachment 62245

Thanks much for the follow-up... and photos; will probably do the same...

- any thoughts or updates on the solar install yet?
- we have a dual battery system already & wish I had done the 6-volts; what are U using & how have you found boondocking with ur Minnie?
- any other updates you've done that are good to share?
We are only just getting started with our Minnie set-up for traveling, so appreciate your feedback?

PSS. we actually luv the canadian rockies... our best hike ever was there !
BobbyD16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyD16 View Post
Thanks much for the follow-up... and photos; will probably do the same...

- any thoughts or updates on the solar install yet?
- we have a dual battery system already & wish I had done the 6-volts; what are U using & how have you found boondocking with ur Minnie?
- any other updates you've done that are good to share?
We are only just getting started with our Minnie set-up for traveling, so appreciate your feedback?

PSS. we actually luv the canadian rockies... our best hike ever was there !

Hi Bobby

Sorry, I realised I didn't say anything about solar...so far I haven't done anything about it, but have been thinking and reading. It seems that it will be important to get a capable power monitoring device. There are a couple that are well reviewed. I have found a few detailed blogs about solar.

We have two six volt batteries that I think are normally used for golf carts. We don't use much DC, and are always off grid. When we travel 200 or 300 km we charge them up completely, and with the lights (LEDs), the various monitors, the igniters for stove, hot water heater and fridge, and the fan on the fridge, we can go for about 3 days without topping up the batteries (without a generator or solar, we now have to travel).

Last year, because of family crises, we didn't get to do many trips. This year we are going to try again to do our 6 week trip through Northern BC and the Yukon in August and September. I am thinking that I will try to get solar installed well before then, but I will need to do more reading first.

Other mods? We both like the drawers under the dinette seats. They should be standard equipment. If I get time I will put at least one more under the bed (remember we have the 1805 model). I have seen some interesting slide out trays in the outside storage areas too, but with our small truck (Toyota Tacoma) I am thinking that I should be trying to reduce the weight we pull.

Oh, the other really good mod was a backup camera for the trailer. This allows me to put the trailer exactly where it needs to go with a minimum of fuss. I can't remember if I posted about that before. It is an autonomous camera unit that I mounted just below the centre clearance light and tied into the power there. The camera transmits a wireless signal to a unit with a receiver and small monitor in the truck. I store it in the back of the passenger seat and pull it out when I want to backup. It's kind of messy with a bundle of wires, but it works well.

Gary
GaryB48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB48 View Post
Hi Bobby

Sorry, I realised I didn't say anything about solar...so far I haven't done anything about it, but have been thinking and reading. It seems that it will be important to get a capable power monitoring device. There are a couple that are well reviewed. I have found a few detailed blogs about solar.

We have two six volt batteries that I think are normally used for golf carts. We don't use much DC, and are always off grid. When we travel 200 or 300 km we charge them up completely, and with the lights (LEDs), the various monitors, the igniters for stove, hot water heater and fridge, and the fan on the fridge, we can go for about 3 days without topping up the batteries (without a generator or solar, we now have to travel).

Last year, because of family crises, we didn't get to do many trips. This year we are going to try again to do our 6 week trip through Northern BC and the Yukon in August and September. I am thinking that I will try to get solar installed well before then, but I will need to do more reading first.

Other mods? We both like the drawers under the dinette seats. They should be standard equipment. If I get time I will put at least one more under the bed (remember we have the 1805 model). I have seen some interesting slide out trays in the outside storage areas too, but with our small truck (Toyota Tacoma) I am thinking that I should be trying to reduce the weight we pull.

Oh, the other really good mod was a backup camera for the trailer. This allows me to put the trailer exactly where it needs to go with a minimum of fuss. I can't remember if I posted about that before. It is an autonomous camera unit that I mounted just below the centre clearance light and tied into the power there. The camera transmits a wireless signal to a unit with a receiver and small monitor in the truck. I store it in the back of the passenger seat and pull it out when I want to backup. It's kind of messy with a bundle of wires, but it works well.

Gary
thanks again for your updates...
following ur lead on several & will share too as we find any of interest...

PSS. which back-up camera did U go for, we r looking at several right now, and we do have blue-tooth in our 4-runner already, so definite considerations...
Old 06-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #62

Trip Report

I've been MIA for a few weeks because the wife, kids and I just did a solid three weeks and 5,200 miles in our 2301BH.

All I can say is that it was perfect! (almost) Everything worked like it's supposed to except I did finally lose one of the "skirt" screws which I already replaced, and had an odd phenomenon with the right rear trailer tire locking for a few feet just before stopping, but ONLY with a full tank of water. I figure I need to adjust the brakes, but it seems strange that it would lock with a full tank of water and not empty. Happened twice, but never again. If anyone has any thoughts, please post them.

Anyway, a few specs on the trip: We towed with the Ram 2500 diesel and averaged 13.8mpg, going 70-75mph. We were loaded pretty well, with food, water, bikes, boots and everything you can think of including all the shopping the wife did along the way.

I know I have a lot of truck for this trailer, and I use no load leveling or sway control. We had not one instant of any sort of uncomfortable movement or bounce or sway despite the 40mph crosswinds we had all last week, high speed travel and lots of trucks. Anyone traveling on I-40 through NM or TX this past Sunday-Monday can attest to the rough wind conditions.

We did see three other Winnebago towables along the way (two Minnies [1 red, 1 white] and one ONE)

A few pics from along the way:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140615-01233.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	65829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pagosa Springs-20140529-00995.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	361.7 KB
ID:	65830  

Name:	Santa Fe South-20140529-00986.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	65831   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140602-01042.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	65832  

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	65833   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140608-01163.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	530.5 KB
ID:	65834  

Name:	Hurricane-20140609-01173.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	65835   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140611-01198.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	65836  

Old 07-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #63

For the outdoor kitchen stove on our 2201 DS, we're looking for a grill cover, so we can do burgers, steaks etc on the grill. Anyone had any luck doing this?
bbird76020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:23 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbird76020 View Post
For the outdoor kitchen stove on our 2201 DS, we're looking for a grill cover, so we can do burgers, steaks etc on the grill. Anyone had any luck doing this?

I have and actual bumper mount grill tht works great, but if you don't want all that, just buy an aluminum griddle that's flat on one side (pancakes, etc.) and has ribs on the otherside for grilling.
I just don't know if you can find one small enough to fit between the wind blockers on the outside stove.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #65
PVR

I'm looking to purchase a 2201 Ds with a factory weight of 5,200 lbs. My 2013 Nissan Pathfinder is rated to tow 6,000 lbs should I be concerned about being able to tow this trailer with with vehicle? Your thoughts and comments appreciated.
PVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:56 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVR View Post
I'm looking to purchase a 2201 Ds with a factory weight of 5,200 lbs. My 2013 Nissan Pathfinder is rated to tow 6,000 lbs should I be concerned about being able to tow this trailer with with vehicle? Your thoughts and comments appreciated.
I suspect you may be talking about the dry weight. You also need to consider the weight capacity of the vehicle ,GCWR, which would include anything you have loaded in the Minnie. Also look at the tongue/hitch weight specs for the Nissan to make sure it is not exceeded. I guess the hitch weight of th Minnie is over 600 pounds. I assume you have a V8. I'm not familiar with towiing with a Pathfinder. Hopefully someone who is can give you feedback. also talk to your RV dealer. I'm conservative so I think it's close. If you do go forward, you should consider an anti-sway weight distribution hitch.
Rogonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #67

Quote:
I would not do that.
Max tow looks like only 5000 on the newer one. Also, Look up what the total payload of the Pathfinder is. This needs to be able to handle a loaded hitch weight of about 650lbs plus you (all persons) and gear.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:01 AM   #68
PVR

I found on the spec sticker on the Pathfinder and it states that the GVWR is 6,000 lbs. I Spoke with two seperate Winnebago dealerships and the both said that the vehicle is fine to tow the trailer and with load distribution bars I'll have no issues.

Thanks everyone for your input.
PVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:32 AM   #69

Quote:
I found on the spec sticker on the Pathfinder and it states that the GVWR is 6,000 lbs. I Spoke with two seperate Winnebago dealerships and the both said that the vehicle is fine to tow the trailer and with load distribution bars I'll have no issues.

---Please don't DO IT...
dealer is only looking for a sale...
I have a 4-Runner and tow the smaller / lighter Minnie with same ##'s

you need to read / review some other towing blogs and understand previous comments; this is too much trailer for your 2013 Pathfinder

Read & you will believe... just trying to help you...
Old 08-21-2014, 06:08 AM   #70

Quote:

GVWR is your vehicle weight + payload! NOT towing capacity!!!

The 5200lb weight rating is an empty trailer and with no options (awning, tv, etc). Also includes no propane tanks and so on. Your real "wet" weight will be 6,000+
Please do some more research if you don't beleave me.

Tags
winnebago