Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago Rusted Windshield

Driver-side Windshield cracked about 4” down into the shade band a year ago and then 4 more cracks appeared from the top within the tinted area. Had it replaced it was due to a rusted frame. The motorhome is now 12 years old. Glass company ground down to bare metal, treated with acid to etch the metal and painted with Por-15. Rust was across the top and down the center support, no rust on the outside vertical support, the bottom was rust free except the tabs. Thank God it was only surface rust, I was really worried with all the horror stories posted on the web about the Winnebago design problem. Total cost of half of the Windshield was $1,400.

Passenger-side stationary side window dual pane was fogged again after 5 years. Had it replaced this time with single pane 3/8” thick glass, cost was $400.

I assume I will have to do the Passenger-side Windshield in the future

I have the complete rectangular “frame” of the urethane with rust attached that was cut off the old glass, it shows and tells the whole rusted windshield story.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Several threads about this issue (rusty front window frame). Most report that Winnie denies knowledge of issue, and since it's not a safety function, not much will be done by them. Thanks for your report, it might hello someone else.
Starsekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 09-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

[/URL][/IMG]Rust on top.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 09-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 09-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 09-13-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 09-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 09-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 09-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 09-14-2014, 02:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago took good care of us. We purchase a new 2012 Itasca Meridian 34Y sight unseen from Alaska in June 2012 in St. Augustine, Florida. When we arrived in Florida in September 2012 to take delivery of the coach, a large puddle of water was noted on the dash after a rain storm. The dealer did a repair and everything was fine until February 2013 in Idaho on our way back to Alaska. Water again dripped on the dash after snow melted on the roof. The leak problem was again fixed under warranty in Anchorage, Alaska. Afterward after reading about the rust problem on this forum, I became concerned that the prior leaking may have resulted in rust. I contacted Winnebago and they agreed to either ship a new windshield to Alaska so that the original windshield could be removed and the frame checked for rust (the Anchorage windshield repair center would not pull the original windshield without having a new replacement on hand due to the likelihood that the original windshield would be broken) or I could travel to Forest City, Iowa and have the same service performed under warranty. Due to the long lead time to ship a large one piece windshield to Anchorage, we ran out of time before we departed Anchorage in October 2013. We arrived in Forest City, Iowa in November 2013 where they pulled the windshield. They reported finding some rust on the frame which they reportedly cleaned up and reinstalled the original windshield which did not break during the removal process. The only problem was very slight damage to the fiberglass at the lower corner of the windshield. They offered to repair the very slight damage but it would take a few days and with snow forecast we agreed to have the damage repaired in 2014. The original windshield had some rock chips from the drive up the AlCan during the winter but they never spread. However south of San Antonio, Texas a truck threw a rock which caused a major crack. We plan to go back through Forest City and have a new windshield installed (at our and our insurance companies expense) and will ask that the frame be inspected for anymore rust. Hopefully the last repair addressed the problem. In summary, Winnebago took good care of us although we were still within or close to the one year warranty on the new coach. We were initially dismayed that the warranty had been started by the selling dealer when we purchased the coach in June and not when we took delivery of the coach in September but it never resulted in any problem getting warranty work completed.

Mark and Lucy, three Bichon Frise, one miniature poodle and one cat
2012 Itasca Meridian 34Y, 2012 Honda CRV with Blue Ox Tow Bar, M&G Engineering Brake System and ToadCharge
market is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Just had our windshield replaced and finally fixed correctly

We bouught a used 2005 winnebago journey in Nov 2013. We didn't notice at the time if the windshield was leaking but soon it became evident that it did. We took it to one glass shop and they tried caulking it but we know now that is not the right way to fix it. We developed a crack from the top so we knew it was going to have to be replaced. We took it to a different glass shop and when they removed the windshield they could see all the rust that was there. It was cleaned and grinded off and the new windshield put in properly and no more leaking. It really pays to get the job done the right way the first time. I just winnebago would do a better job in the first place and maybe everyone wouldn't have this problem.
maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:28 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Cracked front windshield.

I have a 2003 33V. I had the cracked windshield replaced today. The problem was rust. The repair person told me it would be there before he pulled the windshield. He said this is typical of Winnebago's. He said that water collects and has no way to drain out so after replacing the windshield he filled that 1/2 gap at the top of the windshield with a sealant. he claims he has not had any go bad after this procedure.
Eastwind279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&Pat View Post
Driver-side Windshield cracked about 4” down into the shade band a year ago and then 4 more cracks appeared from the top within the tinted area. Had it replaced it was due to a rusted frame. The motorhome is now 12 years old. Glass company ground down to bare metal, treated with acid to etch the metal and painted with Por-15. Rust was across the top and down the center support, no rust on the outside vertical support, the bottom was rust free except the tabs. Thank God it was only surface rust, I was really worried with all the horror stories posted on the web about the Winnebago design problem. Total cost of half of the Windshield was $1,400.
Sadly, all too common of a problem on Winnebago/Itasca motorhomes, for about a 10+ model year run. I wish every owner that has spent more than $500 in repairs (mine was close to $3k) would join forces by putting together a letter to Winnebago and everyone signs it.

I know Winnebago claims to not have any knowledge about this issue, but reading all the threads here just in iRV2 makes that seem petty false. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

A quick fix for a leaking windshield

Remove the rubber from the top of the windshield. You will notice a small space, between the glass and the metal frame. Clean this space as well as possible. Make sure area is dry. Buy a tube of 3M trim cement (Black). Carefully let it flow into the space. It will actually flow into the area that is leaking and seal the rest to keep water out and keep from further rusting.

I have done this on my last 2 coaches and stopped the leaks
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
Sadly, all too common of a problem on Winnebago/Itasca motorhomes, for about a 10+ model year run. I wish every owner that has spent more than $500 in repairs (mine was close to $3k) would join forces by putting together a letter to Winnebago and everyone signs it.

I know Winnebago claims to not have any knowledge about this issue, but reading all the threads here just in iRV2 makes that seem petty false. -RT
and its sad to know the still frame was some thing they pushed hard as a +

installed like a car they say better ... bla bla bla

only thing they did not do was the paint used should have been like a car
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Rust windshield

I have the same rust problem with my winny ninny, wind shield, any one have any luck with there insurance co, on repairs. Heaven forbid winny helping anyone with such a prevalent problem.
rfonte649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:03 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfonte649 View Post
I have the same rust problem with my winny ninny, wind shield, any one have any luck with there insurance co, on repairs. Heaven forbid winny helping anyone with such a prevalent problem.
Your ins. should have glass coverage. Minus deductible. My local auto glass company came to house and took out both windows then I took a couple days to fix rust and they came back to put new glass back in. The glass company had one side of the glass in stock so that should tell you how many Winnebago MH they have done.

Don
Old 11-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

We had the rusty windshield problem. We did not get our insurance involved until we developed a crack caused by the rust. The crack was bigger than could be fixed so we had it replaced. Thr only thing besides our 1000. Deductible we had to pay was the labor for cleaning off the rust. For some reason they didn't think that was important. So now we have a new windshield and no more leaking which makes us very happy.
maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust, winnebago