RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-01-2016, 06:16 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 109
Winnebago rusty window frames

Is there a year and or model when this stopped being a problem or has it and will it always be an issue? Trying to buy a used rv and want to include them in my search but afraid to after this was brought up. Any advice? If it doesn't have it now won't it eventually become an expensive problem?
__________________

Quincybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
rream's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincybear View Post
Is there a year and or model when this stopped being a problem or has it and will it always be an issue? Trying to buy a used rv and want to include them in my search but afraid to after this was brought up. Any advice? If it doesn't have it now won't it eventually become an expensive problem?
Not a major problem ever - you should not believe everything on the internet

I have owned a 2008 and a 2012 - due to rocks had to replace both windshields and never any rust when the glass was pulled out
__________________

__________________
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 35 National Parks
308 Campgrounds, 1496 nights camping since 2009 and 70 K Winnebago miles
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:05 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus


 
Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Glen Allen, VA
Posts: 7,760
Blog Entries: 1
I would respectfully disagree that this is/was not a major problem. I have read too many threads on this forum and others about Winnebago windshield frame rust to dismiss it as just an occasional occurrence. I owned a 2002 Journey for 8 years and had the issue. IMO there is a design flaw in how they installed the glass in coaches of that era.

That said, I would not reject a used Winnebago that was otherwise acceptable to you in terms of floor plan, condition, prior maintenance, and price due to the potential for windshield frame rust. It can be dealt with if it happens.
__________________
2019 Grand Designs 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 109
how can I tell

Thank you both. How can I tell if there is rust on the frame, can you see it under close inspection or does the glass have to be removed to discover it? Also, how do you keep it from occurring or reoccurring? Was it the old way glass was put in or just the design? thx
Quincybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus


 
Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Glen Allen, VA
Posts: 7,760
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincybear View Post
Thank you both. How can I tell if there is rust on the frame, can you see it under close inspection or does the glass have to be removed to discover it? Also, how do you keep it from occurring or reoccurring? Was it the old way glass was put in or just the design? thx
My first clue was an occasional drip of rust-stained water on the dash near the middle of the passenger side glass. I removed the trim at the top of the glass on the inside of the coach and could see some rust stain. You can pull the thick rubber trim off the outside and peek in but not sure you can see it.

IMO, the reason for the problem was as follows:

...the glass is attached to the metal frame with urethane sealant. At the top especially, but all around the perimeter of the glass, Winnebago left about 1/2" to 3/4" space between the glass and the fiberglass so they could stick a plastic channel (stuck on with double stick tape) into which the outside rubber time fits. The rubber time is cosmetic only. It covers that gap but it allows water/dirt to get behind the rubber and collect in that gap. Over time, this wet goo causes rust.

A better way to install the glass would have been to finish the fiberglass with a clean edge, have the opening only slightly larger than the windshield, and have the urethane sealant fill the entire gap, eliminating the need for that wide rubber strip.
__________________
2019 Grand Designs 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jim_HiTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Full time RV'er
Posts: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I would respectfully disagree that this is/was not a major problem. I have read too many threads on this forum and others about Winnebago windshield frame rust to dismiss it as just an occasional occurrence. I owned a 2002 Journey for 8 years and had the issue. IMO there is a design flaw in how they installed the glass in coaches of that era.

That said, I would not reject a used Winnebago that was otherwise acceptable to you in terms of floor plan, condition, prior maintenance, and price due to the potential for windshield frame rust. It can be dealt with if it happens.
I just yesterday bought a '02 Journey. I did not see any evidence of any rusting when I looked at the inside and outside of the window frame, or up under the cowling just under the window.

What's the chances I have one of the lucky units that escapes this issue? What's the best preventative method, if there is one?
__________________

__________________
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
winnebago, rust, window



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replace Winnebago window IndioMark Class A Motorhome Discussions 2 02-08-2015 01:31 PM
Tour One of America's Most Iconic Brands - Winnebago DriVer RV Industry Press 0 03-18-2014 11:52 AM
Winnebago Industries Promotes Brion Brady to WinnebagoTowables National Sales Manager DriVer RV Industry Press 0 10-24-2013 09:43 AM
Winnebago Industries Towables Introduces the New 2014 Sunnybrook Raven DriVer RV Industry Press 0 08-28-2013 03:56 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.