Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2017, 04:03 AM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
You know, I have to agree with this 100%. There are plenty of people who post here, that it's obvious that they know nothing about RVs, and while it's at least smart to try to gain knowledge here (or other forums), it's obvious that some are in way over their heads. Rather than start with a small, simple pop up or TC to get their feet wet and learn the ropes, they buy a 37' class A with 3 slides, solar, residential fridge, hydraulic levelers, etc etc etc as their first coach. On top of that, they have little to no DIY skills. Sorry, but that is a recipe for disaster.

When my brother & I were kids, my parents started out with metal bows and a canvas cover over the truck bed. Then a small TC. Eventually, a large TC with a recirculating toilet; we thought we were living high on the hog! When my wife & I started, it was in a Toyota van and a lot of camping gear. Eventually, we moved up to a small (23') class C, then as our family grew, a 27' class C, and now that the kids have gotten older and are out on their own, a 31' class A. In the 28 years since we started with that small, class C, I've only taken my rig(s) in to someone else for service/repairs 3 times. Everything else has been done by me.

Especially with the seemingly horrible quality control in the RV industry currently, I shudder when I see 1st time RV owners jump right into a huge, fully loaded class A as their first RV. Almost as bad are those that buy a 25 year old rig that needs work, without a clue as to how all of the systems actually work and tie together, thinking they can easily "fix it up" and head out on the road.
Leave me out of this category. I've been RVing for over 40 years. Pop up, Class C's, Class A's. I do most of my own repairs (other than what is covered under warranty).

To make my case, my owners manual states that when opening or closing the slides (Schwintec, LCI system) do not stop the slide mid way to help prevent disalignment. In the same manual it states that after a rain, and slides are extended, while closing the slide pause about half way in to remove the water from slide topper. Sort of contradictory isn't it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2017, 01:54 PM   #72

We have neighbors in the "over their head" category. They are in their 70's. They bought a very slightly used small Class C, almost 2 years ago. They won't bother reading any of the manuals or literature that came with the motorhome. They constantly expect our other neighbor who has an RV, and myself, to be coming over to do 'favors' for them.....when they don't know how to do something, or something goes wrong. And even then...they won't listen to what you try to explain or show them. We have tried to impress on them that they need to use ALL of the systems to keep things in working order, etc...to no avail. And he is absolutely the least capable person when it comes to the use of any tools, etc. All thumbs. No mechanical aptitude whatsoever.
They have taken quite a few trips, even several weeks at a time. But....they use it basically as a car, with beds. I don't think they have ever used the furnace. They refuse to use the water heater at all. They won't use the shower. TP is bagged, never flushed. They seldom use the air conditioner. Although shown numerous times, they still can't figure out how the TV, antenna, booster, or cable works. (operator error)
They barely use the kitchen. Stove has never been used. No dishes used that would need washed, just paper plates, etc. But, a few weeks ago the kitchen sink drain leaked. They were baffled as to why. I took the drain out, put in new plumbers putty. Easy enough, and all done in about 20 minutes time.
One day he came and told me nothing in the coach worked...lights, etc. On investigation, the panel showed the coach batteries were dead. They didn't even know there were separate coach batteries, and were amazed when I showed them they were under the entry steps. (operator error) They thought everything ran off of the chassis battery. Of course the batteries needed water, and to be charged. He didn't know how to do it.
One day I asked if they had ever drained/flushed the water heater. (this was before I knew they never turn it on) "No", and they didn't know why you should/would drain it, or how to do it. I got the tools, and proceeded....while they watched. He could not even put the plug back in afterwards, and had no idea how to refill the water heater.
Same with the generator. I mentioned I had serviced my generator. He didn't know why you would do that, or how to do it. Again...I got the tools, bought the new oil, etc. Had him get underneath with me...so he could see how to do it. He was just lost throughout the process. Both, the other neighbor and I have also explained several times that they need to use or 'exercise' the generator regularly. They just don't grasp the concept. They say..."it wastes gas". (operator error) He will start it and let it run about 10 minutes.
Same with the air conditioner. We have tried to explain....turn it on, use it, exercise it regularly to keep it working well. He will run it about 5 minutes, and turn it off. I just finally gave up. (operator error)
Recently, they came home from a 10 day trip. Told me the refrigerator would not stay cold....while they were 'driving all day'. I asked if they had the propane turned on. They wanted to know why they should. I explained that the fridge can run on propane while you are not 'plugged in'....or, you can run the generator for power.
They insisted that the fridge runs on battery while you are on the road.
I said, NO....it is not a 3 way fridge. Took a while to show, explain, and convince them of that. They say the propane was on....but I don't think so. (operator error) It switched over to gas perfectly every time when I tested it.
The motorhome is a 2014, and had already had the front tires replaced when they bought it in 2016. Both tires are now showing wear on the inside. I suggested it probably has never had an alignment. They think that would be an unnecessary waste of money.
He is not the best driver. (has a cataract in one eye, but refuses to have it removed) Hit a road construction sign, and broke the driver's side mirror not long ago. I can see that he curbs the tires on turns...a lot. They do take it to the tire store regularly, to have the air pressure checked. He won't even do that himself.
They do keep it immaculately clean, but just refuse to 'learn' the proper way to use and maintain their motorhome. And they would never take it to the dealer and pay the hourly rate to have things serviced. That's...."too expensive". They are the prime example of someone that should not own a motorhome. So far, they have been lucky, and we have tried to help.
From comments overheard....I think our other neighbor is quietly avoiding trying to help them now. They are nice folks, but I am about to do the same.
It seems the more we do....the more they think we should do. I'm thinking I will suggest they get acquainted with a mobile repair guy.

Now, they have announced they love it and plan to travel even more, and want a bigger, better motorhome. And they are considering a toad now also.
Or a trailer to haul their two motorcycles in. I shudder to think......
Old 10-31-2017, 02:11 PM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Winnebago is booming.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1436...-outdoors.html

The stock price has doubled since May. I'd be very cautious on build quality when they're building and selling so many RVs.
Think I'll stick to my 12 year old Aspect. Minimal problems, and it does what we want it to do. And, it's paid for.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:24 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Absolutely agree.
I read about sooo many owners of new class As that not only have issues but can't get dealers to fix them or it takes weeks or months. Many end up having to go to factory for repairs...not easy for many that are not full timers or at least retired with no schedule constraints.
Don't kniw what the answer is but we are glad we bought a used coach from a very detailed hobby machinist that fixed many most of their own problems.
I do pity an owner that does no repairs or maint and has to rely on dealers.
Absolutely agree with the USED thing... I only buy 1-3 year old RV's, Cars, Trucks from Private Owners... It's worked for me for over 30 years. I'll keep doing it that way for sure. It's so nice that the Original Owners get all those pesky things fixed before I go camping with it...

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:35 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I don't know about testing mechanical things but kind of assume it is like building and testing software.

Engineer designs the appliance given a set of criteria which also includes cost and weight limitations. Also includes a set of installation specifications and tolerances.

Manufacturer installs appliance within or close to tolerances.

Buyer picks up the unit and then loads the stuffing out of every cupboard and space. While this is an RV the wife wants to have the same amenities as at home so we have a corel service for 8, dishes stacked on dishes, several heavy casserole dishes (cast iron covered by enamel) in varying sizes for different dinner possibilities, glass wine glasses and tumblers, a dozen ceramic coffee cups collected at various places. And this is just one cupboard. The pantry is loaded and stacked so you can just get the doors closed if stuff is organized carefully, the wardrobes are packed. You get the picture I bet.

Add that to the owner wants to open the slides to gain access to a drawer and decides that the coach is level enough to open the slide without leveling so proceeds to do so.

Then something goes wrong. Manufacturing defect is quickly claimed.

While this is not generally what happens I suspect that in many cases owner abuse has contributed to the demise of the equipment.
The last paragraph says it all . It may not be outright abuse , but folks sure seem to not take care of things like we used too . My last Chevy 2500 had 318000 mile when I traded it in . 6.0 liter gas .
goingtoenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:43 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
We have neighbors in the "over their head" category. They are in their 70's. They bought a very slightly used small Class C, almost 2 years ago. They won't bother reading any of the manuals or literature that came with the motorhome. They constantly expect our other neighbor who has an RV, and myself, to be coming over to do 'favors' for them.....when they don't know how to do something, or something goes wrong. And even then...they won't listen to what you try to explain or show them. We have tried to impress on them that they need to use ALL of the systems to keep things in working order, etc...to no avail. And he is absolutely the least capable person when it comes to the use of any tools, etc. All thumbs. No mechanical aptitude whatsoever.
They have taken quite a few trips, even several weeks at a time. But....they use it basically as a car, with beds. I don't think they have ever used the furnace. They refuse to use the water heater at all. They won't use the shower. TP is bagged, never flushed. They seldom use the air conditioner. Although shown numerous times, they still can't figure out how the TV, antenna, booster, or cable works. (operator error)
They barely use the kitchen. Stove has never been used. No dishes used that would need washed, just paper plates, etc. But, a few weeks ago the kitchen sink drain leaked. They were baffled as to why. I took the drain out, put in new plumbers putty. Easy enough, and all done in about 20 minutes time.
One day he came and told me nothing in the coach worked...lights, etc. On investigation, the panel showed the coach batteries were dead. They didn't even know there were separate coach batteries, and were amazed when I showed them they were under the entry steps. (operator error) They thought everything ran off of the chassis battery. Of course the batteries needed water, and to be charged. He didn't know how to do it.
One day I asked if they had ever drained/flushed the water heater. (this was before I knew they never turn it on) "No", and they didn't know why you should/would drain it, or how to do it. I got the tools, and proceeded....while they watched. He could not even put the plug back in afterwards, and had no idea how to refill the water heater.
Same with the generator. I mentioned I had serviced my generator. He didn't know why you would do that, or how to do it. Again...I got the tools, bought the new oil, etc. Had him get underneath with me...so he could see how to do it. He was just lost throughout the process. Both, the other neighbor and I have also explained several times that they need to use or 'exercise' the generator regularly. They just don't grasp the concept. They say..."it wastes gas". (operator error) He will start it and let it run about 10 minutes.
Same with the air conditioner. We have tried to explain....turn it on, use it, exercise it regularly to keep it working well. He will run it about 5 minutes, and turn it off. I just finally gave up. (operator error)
Recently, they came home from a 10 day trip. Told me the refrigerator would not stay cold....while they were 'driving all day'. I asked if they had the propane turned on. They wanted to know why they should. I explained that the fridge can run on propane while you are not 'plugged in'....or, you can run the generator for power.
I said, NO....it is not a 3 way fridge. Took a while to show, explain, and convince them of that. They say the propane was on....but I don't think so. (operator error) It switched over to gas perfectly every time when I tested it.
The motorhome is a 2014, and had already had the front tires replaced when they bought it in 2016. Both tires are now showing wear on the inside. I suggested it probably has never had an alignment. They think that would be an unnecessary waste of money.
He is not the best driver. (has a cataract in one eye, but refuses to have it removed) Hit a road construction sign, and broke the driver's side mirror not long ago. I can see that he curbs the tires on turns...a lot. They do take it to the tire store regularly, to have the air pressure checked. He won't even do that himself.
They do keep it immaculately clean, but just refuse to 'learn' the proper way to use and maintain their motorhome. And they would never take it to the dealer and pay the hourly rate to have things serviced. That's...."too expensive". They are the prime example of someone that should not own a motorhome. So far, they have been lucky, and we have tried to help.
From comments overheard....I think our other neighbor is quietly avoiding trying to help them now. They are nice folks, but I am about to do the same.
It seems the more we do....the more they think we should do. I'm thinking I will suggest they get acquainted with a mobile repair guy.

Now, they have announced they love it and plan to travel even more, and want a bigger, better motorhome. And they are considering a toad now also.
You Sir , are a kind soul . Do they have you on retainer , or do you contract out to others ? Them getting a bigger better MH will be the the death of you . Best of luck .
goingtoenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post

That's even worse than what I was talking about. At least in my instance, new owners "want" to learn.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:09 PM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Thumbs down

This post has really gone off the rails - somebody please kill it

rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #79

My 2014 Itasca has been nothing but a nightmare also. Winnebago has dropped us like a hot potato. Would never buy or recommend their product. Ours has had 2 Slide failures, a warped floor, electrical problems, hot water heater failure, furnace failure, Dash AC no good and I could go on. Thankfully traded it.
maxdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:07 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog View Post
My 2014 Itasca has been nothing but a nightmare also. Winnebago has dropped us like a hot potato. Would never buy or recommend their product. Ours has had 2 Slide failures, a warped floor, electrical problems, hot water heater failure, furnace failure, Dash AC no good and I could go on. Thankfully traded it.
There seem to be fair amount of rigs a few years old with hardly any miles out there especially at the large dealers that bring top dollar. Makes you wonder how many of them are trades like this and what you could possibly do to avoid them. Sad thing is probably nothing. The party trading in wouldn,t advertise to the dealer the problems and even if the dealer knew the history he wouldn,t pass it on.
pattcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:43 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattcook View Post
There seem to be fair amount of rigs a few years old with hardly any miles out there especially at the large dealers that bring top dollar. Makes you wonder how many of them are trades like this and what you could possibly do to avoid them. Sad thing is probably nothing. The party trading in wouldn,t advertise to the dealer the problems and even if the dealer knew the history he wouldn,t pass it on.
I should trade with a disclaimer because I am only passing my problems on to another unsuspecting fellow camper. Between a rock and a hard place.
As an update: Winnebago has officially said they will not extend any “good will” because of age even though problem goes back to original purchase. How is a buyer supposed to anticipate future defects?
maxdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:46 AM   #82

Winnebago Owners Club
Buying used could always be a crap shoot. One possibility is a manufacturing issue that is recurring. More likely problems could be unintentional operator abuse that has occurred and the manufacturer will have nothing to do with it.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:21 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog View Post
I should trade with a disclaimer because I am only passing my problems on to another unsuspecting fellow camper. Between a rock and a hard place.
As an update: Winnebago has officially said they will not extend any “good will” because of age even though problem goes back to original purchase. How is a buyer supposed to anticipate future defects?
Not at all. I certainly would not mention problems if trading in. Did Winnebago mention any possible problems when you bought new even though they were well aware of slide issues? Of course not.
pattcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:14 AM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Unit is 4 years old and wires pulled loose - I would blame congress for the poor condition of our Interstate system not Winnebago
Don't worry, Trump will fix this!!!!
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago