Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2017, 03:46 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Winnebago - SO DISAPPOINTED

Our 2014 Winnebago Vista has been one nightmare after another. I have a previous post concerning the LCI Lippert Jack System on our rig. The pump motor failed due to water entry in the end cap. Winnebago in their infinite wisdom mounted the jack power system right behind the left front tire, behind a mudflap that is too narrow to keep water/debris from directly hitting the motor. And, the end caps have a paper gasket. Why they didn't put the system in a compartment is beyond comprehension. Cost me over $1000 for a replacement pump and labor. My super fine service contract wouldn't cover it. This failure is due to Winnebago's poor design placement of the system. So I guess LCI is only part to blame for the cheap gaskets on each end cap.

Had to take the MH for inspection today. Yesterday I was getting it prepared by closing the slides, etc. The main LR slide decided to take a crap. Would not close. Only came part way then jammed cockeyed. Here we go again. ANOTHER LCI Lippert product.

Seems the one drive motor some how got pushed up out of its seat. These motors have extra long screws through the motor housing and the extended screws fit in holes machined in the shaft/gear drive mechanism. While seated in the four holes this prevents the motor from twisting. I should mention that there is nothing to keep the motor from jumping out of it's working position. The shaft of the motor is machined to fit in a half moon slot in the shaft.

Visited You Tube to see how to remove a motor on this rig. Once it was removed I discovered one of the five small wires had been pulled loose from the circuit board on the rear of motor. Re soldered that, and got the motor to work.

I have ordered a new motor, for a spare. Since I've seen how this system is poorly designed, I know I'm going to be experiencing another failure sometime in the future.

Our steps are also LCI brand. Just waiting for them to fail.

I have absolutely NO faith in LCI-Lippert products. For the life of me I can't understand why a reputable manufacturer such as Winnebago uses this inferior products in their motor homes. Or uses a poor design in building this MH.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2017, 04:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Unit is 4 years old and wires pulled loose - I would blame congress for the poor condition of our Interstate system not Winnebago

rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:48 PM   #3

Seems like the dip in reliability started around 2010 when they started using lippert. Too bad you had to learn how to fix your systems, Iím sure thereís lots of not so handy people giving up on their units when they get beat down enough. Unfortunately the only answer is to move to a product that isnít using lippert. Weíre on our third Winnebago Moho over the last thirty years but will have to look elsewhere for the next one.
Good luck
Old 10-09-2017, 06:59 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Unit is 4 years old and wires pulled loose - I would blame congress for the poor condition of our Interstate system not Winnebago
Doesn't matter about the highways. It's Winnebago who is installing these inferior products.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I should also mention that I recently had an issue with the blower motor ground. Camping World said the motor was burned out. Not so. I ran another ground and blower motor works fine.

Now, I have an issue with the heat/ac control knobs. Seems the blend door isn't working. Can't get cold air. Geez, another problem with this Winnebago.

I bought this rig to enjoy, not become an experienced RV tech.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:14 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well let's see, as far as the Lippert Slides, it was not just Winnebago it was industry wide. The product is actually very good if used correctly, not on a full wall slide.
As far as quality control, yes Winnebago seems to have let that go by the way side and they need to fix that issue.
I would still buy another Winnebago over some of the other brands.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Weldor View Post
Doesn't matter about the highways. It's Winnebago who is installing these inferior products.
sigh; its not just winnebago ! Discussing this on the tiffin thread also.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:46 AM   #8

We've had 2 Winnebago coaches and decided to replace our last one with a Newmar. We were very disappointed in the quality of the Journey. I sent Mike Happe an email laying out our reasons for not purchasing a new Winnebago.

He was gracious and replied to my email forwarding my comments to his executive team for review. I think most manufacturers have lost their way, building them to fast and taking short cuts.

I hope you can get quick resolution so you can enjoy your coach again. Thank you for your service.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
We've had 2 Winnebago coaches and decided to replace our last one with a Newmar. We were very disappointed in the quality of the Journey. I sent Mike Happe an email laying out our reasons for not purchasing a new Winnebago.

He was gracious and replied to my email forwarding my comments to his executive team for review. I think most manufacturers have lost their way, building them to fast and taking short cuts.

I hope you can get quick resolution so you can enjoy your coach again. Thank you for your service.
agree 100%
Old 10-10-2017, 05:42 PM   #10

I don't remember who....but a while back on these forums, someone suggested that today's RV owner/buyer may need to "Adjust Your Expectations". Perhaps there is a bit of truth to that.

Today's RV buyer demands and expects more and more convenience, options, mechanical systems. Many RV owners are logging more miles than every before, with more opportunity for increased failure of those very items they demand.
Today's RV buyer demands multiple slideouts, jacks/leveling systems, electric steps, dish washer, washer and dryer, residential refrigerator, on demand water heater, fireplace....the list goes on and on. Along with multiple TVs, satellite, and more and more electronic features also.
Today's RV buyer demands and expects all of these features, all within a certain 'price point'.

Today's RV buyer expects all of this from an entire industry that today is trying to keep up with the demand for more and more units, sold at an increasingly faster pace.....with the manufacturers too often proving themselves ill equipped to produce a quality unit with lasting performance components that satisfy the end buyer.

What could possibly go wrong with this picture??
Two words.....anything and everything.
Common thoughts are that we won't see much improvement in RV quality in the near...or even distant future. But people continue to buy a new RV.
Hence, what that gentleman I originally referred to stated.....if you are going to own an RV, you may have to "Adjust Your Expectations".

It's not just Winnebago. Every manufacturer is having various problems and issues when it comes to quality control, or the lack thereof. As these forums show.

Having owned some type of RV for about 30 years now, I have been around the block a few times. Seen some good, some bad.
I must say we are far from disappointed with our Winnebago. All is not doom and gloom.
When it came time for us to buy our new motorhome last year, my utmost continual thought was to avoid as many problematic failure issues as possible. Which lead us to an entry level Class C. No slideout, no jacks or leveling system, no electric step, very little electronics, etc, etc, etc.
Fewer systems to fail. We can easily maintain/service most things.
No....it would not suit every buyer. But it easily works for us. Being able to "Adjust Our Expectations".....we usually enjoy another fun adventure....instead of another trip to the manufacturer, dealer, or repair facility. YMMV
GoneToTheDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:25 PM   #11

Lippert is all you have to say. They make junk and nothing but junk. They couldn't design and make a plastic cup without a defect in it, like a large hole in the bottom. They must hire people that couldn't put two Lego together to design/engineer and build the junk they sell. They also do not stand behind any of the junk they make, as they would either go BK or have to make something that should do what it was meant to do. The more junk from them (anything) in your rig, the more problems you will have to fix. LCI=POS
Old 10-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #12
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

I've said the same thing many times here about Lippert. Especially their schwintek slide systems. They are a POS in my book. They seem to do alright on smaller bedroom slides, but on larger slides and especially full wall slides....well good luck. Now some say that Lipperts dual rail design at the top of the slide fixes the notorious schwintek rail problems. I have yet to see enough good fruit to be convinced. Oh boy, I'm going to get hammered again on this one.

Lippert is gobbling up companies all over because they want to be King of RV components.

I have to say though we love our Vista 35F and have had very little problems with it. I am however very anal about keeping things in tip top condition. (BTW...OP...I'm not saying you don't) My wife is always asking me, "honey what are you doing now". We do not have Schwintek slide systems on our MH.

Thank you for stepping up and serving our country.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LCI-Lippert has bought out a whole bunch of other RV product manufacturing suppliers over the years. Once they control that product segment, quality goes down, quantity goes up.

Personally I would rather order a new RV without all the electronic stuff. Our present RV (2013 trailer) I ordered without: electric stabilizers, awning, keyless entry and electric tongue jack just for that reason...

Trading her in on a new RV next week. If I could have ordered the new one the same way I would have. So i'm going to be a new-bee on how to operate a power awning.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #14

Try and buy a new unit without slides or the whiz bang electronics. Most of the electronics come from China so forget replacement parts in a few years. Anybody buying a full wall slide unit is asking for trouble. Anybody who does not stay on top of simple repairs like loose screws is asking for bigger failures. Workmanship if iffy on all the manufacturers. Get over it or buy something 10 years old.

Tags
winnebago