Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2005, 05:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

After taking our new Winnebago in to Ford to find out why it had "shake" at certain speeds we found out that it has a speed limiter on it that is supposed to kick in at 75 mph (ours kicks in at about 72). Does everybody else out there with Winnebago been impacted by the computer control? Ford says it has been installed on all the new RVs. While I agree we probably shouldn't be driving that fast it has proven to be a problem when trying to pass and get away from traffic that is being unsafe on the highway and in coasting down hill.
Herkyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

After taking our new Winnebago in to Ford to find out why it had "shake" at certain speeds we found out that it has a speed limiter on it that is supposed to kick in at 75 mph (ours kicks in at about 72). Does everybody else out there with Winnebago been impacted by the computer control? Ford says it has been installed on all the new RVs. While I agree we probably shouldn't be driving that fast it has proven to be a problem when trying to pass and get away from traffic that is being unsafe on the highway and in coasting down hill.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:01 PM   #3

....have it taken out/reprogramed if you dont like it....probably a computer thing anyway....they are a PIA-most of the time-but might effect your warranty.....check first!....geofkaye
Old 06-02-2005, 03:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have had my 01 Itasca up to 81 mph no shake or indications of loosing power at all. This was a one time thing passing a truck who didn't think an RV should pass him.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:17 AM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Herkyflyer:
While I agree we probably shouldn't be driving that fast it has proven to be a problem when trying to pass and get away from traffic that is being unsafe on the highway and in coasting down hill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Herkflyer, (No doubt a C130 pilot! ) You know the minimum safe speed on any highway is typically 45 mph. Trying to get away from traffic sometimes might get you into a situation where you just simply catch up to more traffic. Remember the limiting ground speed on any vehicle or aircraft is related to tires. If you blow a tire or 2 on a Herc it could get ugly but you have a few more tires to spare. Blowing a tire on your motorhome .. well that could be a totally different event all together. The motorhome can't go around.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My 05 Voyage has a speed limiter. It is on a Workhorse chassis. At 80mph it totally cuts power.
jonny33v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 06:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jonny33v:
My 05 Voyage has a speed limiter. It is on a Workhorse chassis. At 80mph it totally cuts power. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't hit 80 with mine yet, but at least now I know what to expect when/if I do.

Rob

W20
Robnfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have had our Ford V10 up to 85 MPH and still could accelerate. Might be the type of tires that you have. We have the Goodyears G670's. Mine has never acted like it had any limiters on it. I would not accept anything less than 80 MPH. I would not consider driving at that speed for more than short time to get out of traffic issues, but if I need it I have it.

07 F350 Dually Ford Diesel
R Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:27 PM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R Gordon:
I have had our Ford V10 up to 85 MPH and still could accelerate. Might be the type of tires that you have. We have the Goodyears G670's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>R. Gordon, Please accept this in the manner it is offered. From the Goodyear Website G670 RV Tires have the following property.

Maximum load at minimum cold inflation at 75 mph max speed.

Please refer to the following page. Goodyear 245/70R19.5 G G670 RV Tires

Take care and be safe.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The chassis builders have put speed limiters on the newer chassis as the tire manufacturers will not certify the tires for more than 75 miles per hour. they are trying to save your neck!
Old 06-13-2005, 08:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I wonder if this applys to all the commercial vehicles on the road that have a very similar size tire. Since a blown tire on any vehicle endangers the lives of every one around that vehicle. If it does apply, it isn't working.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:35 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

From a Goodyear seminar" the tires are rated at 75 mph & the load rating goes down drastically for every mile an hour above that". So you may go above 75 mph at your own peril.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:42 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

So If I change tires to a better tire will they change the programming on my Winnebago? I doubt it. I have several vehicles that probably should not be driven like they have been for several reasons, why doesn't that vehicles computer monitor what I am doing......for that fact why don't all vehicles be limited to 55mph and then we will all be safer.....right??????
Old 06-15-2005, 01:07 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I think you'll find that most, if not all, mass marketed truck tires are rated for 75mph max. It's my understanding that most automobiles today have their top speed limited by the computer.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:07 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> From a Goodyear seminar" the tires are rated at 75 mph & the load rating goes down drastically for every mile an hour above that". So you may go above 75 mph at your own peril.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not only at "your own peril" BUT everyone else's peril on the hgihway.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote