Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago View TOADS

I know the View can tow up to 3500 pounds. We're looking at a 2wd Kia Soul (2800 lbs).
What is your toad behind you View?
I heard TOADS don't affect the Sprinter chassis vehicles too much as far as MPG.

gaugeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaugeguy View Post
I know the View can tow up to 3500 pounds. We're looking at a 2wd Kia Soul (2800 lbs).
I heard TOADS don't affect the Sprinter chassis vehicles too much as far as MPG.

I see about -.5 mpg with my Focus attached.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Here's a little tip, if you haven't already used it. The NADA book online, or Kelley Blue Book online will give you the curb weight of most any vehicle. I spent a lifetime in the car business and had a Country Coach with a 350 Cummins for 10 years. With that beast, I could tow anything. No problemo, so I did.

I now have an Adventurer on a Workhorse Chev chassis, so I'm more sensitive to the weight of the toad. I found that the Ford Focus weighs around 2300 lbs. It makes a good little toad without being too cramped in a 2-door rig.

Be careful of the front-end structure of some little econo-boxes. A friend of mine bought a little Chev metro (Suzuki). He found that the front end was greatly compromised by towing: Radiator support came loose, front crossmember bent, etc.

Have fun!
Old 12-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
I see about -.5 mpg with my Focus attached.

Whoops I was thinking larger A's
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

We have the 2011 view and can tow up to 5000#. currently we have a chevy malibu as the toad. I haven't actually calculated the mileage loss, but from what I experience, it is about 2 miles to the gallon less with toad. shop carefully as many cars may not tow four down. check owners manual before buying. It was recently reported that chevy cruze was towable, but then withdrawn from chevy as a towable vehicle. If you use a tow dolly, that weight has to be added to the 5000#. Good luck in your search and enjoy the view!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

i fixed up a 67 vw beetle. tow it all over ,went up hyw. 1 cal. coast to org, and wash.and back to az. everywhere we went thumbs up . did not effect fuel or braking love it !! dan cathy 2007 fleetwood terra lx 8,1 workhorse allison
teera travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I'm thinking I'll use a tow dolly with a hyd braking system. That way I won't worry about wiring lights, unlocking the steering wheel, geared axles on the ground and a myriad of other towing issues. Just two rear tires on the ground and a couple of bearings.......... no wear-and-tear on the FWD components!

Old 02-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
I'm thinking I'll use a tow dolly with a hyd braking system. That way I won't worry about wiring lights, unlocking the steering wheel, geared axles on the ground and a myriad of other towing issues. Just two rear tires on the ground and a couple of bearings.......... no wear-and-tear on the FWD components!
With the weight of the Kia and the dolly you will be very close if not over 3500. Keep it as light as you can you won't be sorry Toyota Yaris is also light. I perfer towing 4 down do your homework lot's of good info out there.
geraldnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Another source besides the owner's manual for info on towability of vehicles is:

Home | Remco Towing
iRV-in-a-SunStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I'm looking specifically at an ACME EZE-TOW. Looks like it only weighs about 400 lbs. Makes a total tow of 3200 lbs.
I just don't like 4 wheel toads simply because of the unnecessary wear-and-tear on the drive components. If not for the fuel, might as well just ask the wifey to drive the car and follow me while I drive the RV.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
If not for the fuel, might as well just ask the wifey to drive the car and follow me while I drive the RV.
My wife follows in our car for trips where we are going to spend more then a few days at a location. I would give that option a try before spending a bunch of $ on a towing package...
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago