Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2018, 08:54 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Winnebago Vista 27N Door Swing Improvement

The factory build of the Winnebago Vista 27N limits the door swing to 90 degrees which can make it difficult to carry items in and out due to the close proximity of the full wall side on the other side of the door.

I was able to move the mount point of the door swing limiting piston and get the door swing improved from 90 degrees to about 110 degrees. It still clears the awning arm so that operating the awning with the door open does not cause damage.

The piston mounting plate does not quite cover some of the old mounting holes after the relocation. I just covered the exposed part of the old mounting holes with heavy clear plastic tape , but caulk or colored tape would work too. The door still closes and seals fine with the plate in the new position.

The OEM screws are self drilling and are screwed into aluminum so it is a pretty easy change if you have a electric variable speed drill with a phillips head driver. You also have to drill one hole where the pivot pin is pressed thru the plate of the mount point so the plate will sit flat on the door frame, you will see the original hole I am talking about in the 2nd photo posted here.

Here two photos , one of the improved swing and one of the relocated mount point of the piston.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	189244   Click image for larger version

Name:	mount.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	189245  

powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #2

I'm not sure why so many RVs have those limiting pneumatic cylinders on their entry doors these days. I realize they are sometimes placed to keep the door from hitting something, in your case, the awning arm. But overall, i dislike them things. I'd much rather be able to open the door as wide as i could and have a bump stop in place if there was something it could hit. For me personally, it makes it seem like a tighter fit (i'm not a big person either) and makes me feel like i'm even more clumsy than usual entering.

Good job doing the modification to get that extra width.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:49 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
On my Vista the cylinder serves 2 functions, one to prevent you from opening the door too far so that the door and/or awning arm/power head can't be damaged if you opened the power awning with the door too far open, and two it holds the door open, even against a fairly strong wind trying to blow it closed.

Guess they could use a 2' longer awning that would allow the door to swing all the way 180 degrees and latch against the side wall, and even with the door all the way open the awning arm would not hit. But that's $$$ and Vista was the cheapest most basically equipped line of Winnebago Class A Gassers they sell up until this model year.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, winnebago