Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2017, 09:25 PM   #1

Winnie Drop Light Problem

Hi,

Own a 2016 Winnie Drop WD1780 and having a problem with the tail lights. When hooked to my tow vehicle with the headlights off, the trailer brake lights, turn signals and four ways work fine. When the tow vehicle has the headlights on the trailer running lights are lit, however the trailer brake, turn signal and four way lights don't work.

To test the tow vehicle connection, hooked it up to a friend's truck with the same issues. Also replaced the bulbs and sprayed everything using electronic contact cleaner with no change.

Going to call the dealer and get into it tomorrow, but wondered if anyone else has had this issue and found a remedy?

Thanks
CuriousGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

What you're dealing with is a poor trailer ground situation , you can check by connecting a jumper cable from the trailer frame to the tow vehicle frame, if all the lights work correctly then you have to find the ground wire from the trailer wiring plug to the trailer frame and check for a good connection there.
Note sometimes removing or disconnecting a trailer's battery can disturb the ground wiring.
Is the trailer battery hooked up properly ?
If the wiring from the plug to the frame is good then you need to see if the lights on the trailer are properly grounded to the trailer frame.

EDIT; I guess I should explain why the signal/brake light work with the headlight/park lights off. With the headlights off the , signal/brake lights can back feed to ground through the park light circuit, when the headlights are on , that path to ground and any other partial path to ground are blocked , by the power flow from the park lights.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:35 PM   #3

With my trailer I had that issue. My wife figured out that my TV lights were set to Auto.
When I switched the TV lights to regular and not auto.. The trailer lights worked fine. Switched to Auto.. Trailer lights didnt work.
Maybe its that simple
takerstetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:40 PM   #4

Appreciate the information and thanks to Skip 426 for all the detail. Figured it may be a grounding problem and did just reinstall the battery when pulling out of winter storage.

Have only owned the trailer for a year and didn't know there are different mode settings for the TV lights.

Will check out all this tomorrow.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #5

So here''s what I found . . . At the end of last season someone backed into the trailer, crushing the right tail light lens and socket. Had the dealer replace it, only to find the aftermarket assembly has a white plastic base where the original is black. Made a noticeable difference in lens color / reflection between left and right sides with the running lights on, so had both replaced with the white base and kept the remaining left side original black base assembly for an emergency spare. At the time the lights were checked and functioning, but during daylight hours without the headlights on. The trailer was then put into storage.

Discovered the "headlight on" issue when pulling the unit from storage this week and it being after dark when everything was checked for the ride home. Pulled both of the replaced tailight assemblies today and found them incorrectly crosswired. Switched wire positions and working fine now.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:42 PM   #6

I have the same problem except with the car on auto the only thing that didn't work on trailer were the running lights.
Annieoakley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light