RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2018, 09:39 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Winter Weather traveling

Hi All,
Getting ready to head from the NE to some warmer weather for the 1st time in our MH and looking for ideas for making our 2006 Meridian 39G suitable for traveling in below freezing temps. We previously had a 4 season TT that had heated tanks and so on for cold weather. The MH is currently winterized and I couldn't find anything in the owners manual on the subject.

So I am trying to figure out how to be able to put water into the Coach to use for the trip and prevent it from freezing? I've read where you take jugs of water and use them till your out of the cold, but I am hoping that there are some better alternatives? I've also read where some have put lights, heaters in the water compartment and assume the same would be needed for the water pump compartment. Another question I have is, are the water lines exposed, outside of the compartments?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2018, 11:11 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Where are you heading to? Florida perhaps? Where ever you light it should be warm enough to not worry with water pipe freeze. We have camped in sub freezing temps several times and residual heat from the engine / transmission etc keeps the plumbing warm enough to prevent freeze up unless it is really cold while traveling. Negative temps below zero might be an issue but I doubt you would encounter that on the way south. When parked for the night I place a few drop lights in the plumbing compartments. I've seen as much as a 40 degree temp differential from outside (9 above) to inside (50) while parked several days. We run with full water tanks, 70 gallons, and that much mass will take a lot of low temp in order to freeze. The plumbing is the most susceptible freezing but with the drop lights and furnace we had no problems. If you want you can keep it winterized and use water jugs on the way south. There's nothing wrong with doing it that way. We prefer to have the coach systems available full time when we travel in the cold.

BTW, the water lines should be run inside and not exposed to the environment. So by using drop lights and the furness you should be ok.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:20 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Florida is where we're heading, just trying to be prepared for 2 nites where the temps could be below freezing.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:43 AM   #4

If you are in PA, you should be out of the cold in one days drive, unless there is a cold snap going through the lower states. We generally can get out of the cold in one day from Ontario. By and large, if you run your furnace, the water areas would be fine. Personally, I dont see the point of risking un winterizing the rv for a ten hour drive, especially if it is very cold out. We put a five gallon pail in the shower with a large cup to dip out water as needed. We carry water bottles at all times anyway for drinking.You would probably only use the washroom once or twice in that period anyway.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:34 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our last 3 MHs have been Winnebago. We always left Wisconsin in the first week in March for Florida. Except for one time when the temps were near 0 we de-winterized in our garage.

Our experience told us that if the minimum temperature was going to be no more than 15 below freezing and we ran the furnace we never had a problem. In my last 2 MHs I installed remote thermometers in the water pump bay and the other one in the bay with the fresh water tank. We never saw the temps drop below 35. The secret for us was we set our thermostat at 70 and left it running until be were out of freezing weather. Usually after the first day we did not have to worry unless the forecast was for below freezing weather.

Good luck on your trip and post a report on how things went for you.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:57 AM   #6

According to the 2006 Meridian brochure your coach comes standard with a "Motoraid" heater. Part of this system (at least in the Adventurer's) is an auxilary heating unit under the floor with a fan control on the dash. This system uses the same duct system as the LP furnace. As such it will pump warm air into the storage cabinets and water tank compartments as well as keep the water in the water heater up to temperature.

If you run the auxiliary heater while traveling and the propane furnace when stopped there should be plenty of heat to keep things from freezing. We regularly do this when traveling from Wisconsin to Florida. We have never had a problem with frozen pipes even when camping when temps were above 15*F.

One time when it was -10*F we did not dewinterize, but rather took along a 5 gallon container of water for drinking and flushing the toilet.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
According to the 2006 Meridian brochure your coach comes standard with a "Motoraid" heater. Part of this system (at least in the Adventurer's) is an auxilary heating unit under the floor with a fan control on the dash. This system uses the same duct system as the LP furnace. As such it will pump warm air into the storage cabinets and water tank compartments as well as keep the water in the water heater up to temperature....

The Winnebago Diesel Pushers with Motoraid only heat the water heater--they don't have the aux heating unit that some of the gasers have.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:15 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
According to the 2006 Meridian brochure your coach comes standard with a "Motoraid" heater. Part of this system (at least in the Adventurer's) is an auxilary heating unit under the floor with a fan control on the dash. This system uses the same duct system as the LP furnace. As such it will pump warm air into the storage cabinets and water tank compartments as well as keep the water in the water heater up to temperature.

If you run the auxiliary heater while traveling and the propane furnace when stopped there should be plenty of heat to keep things from freezing. We regularly do this when traveling from Wisconsin to Florida. We have never had a problem with frozen pipes even when camping when temps were above 15*F.

One time when it was -10*F we did not dewinterize, but rather took along a 5 gallon container of water for drinking and flushing the toilet.
I don't remember seeing a switch in the dash for that. It talks about it in the owners manual "When refilling the coolant system of a vehicle equipped with a rear auxiliary automotive heater and motoraid water heater" It does have the ability to heat the hot water when running the motor, uses the coolant lines to transfer the heat to the water heater. But I don't know about the rear auxiliary automotive heater that it says. According to Chris in the previous comment it doesn't have it.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:20 PM   #9

Run the rear LP furnace to supply warm air to the wet bay and fresh water tank, front LP furnace to keep us warm. the waste tanks will not freeze while traveling due to water sloshing. When parked overnight there will be adequate residual heat to prevent freeze damage. Not not leave the waste hose out overnight or it will be difficult to store next morning, if even possible when partially filled with ice in the coils. Live self-contained when parked those 2 nights if forecast lows are below 28F.
That's the way I operate when we leave Indiana, but for us it's only 1 night, sometimes no freezing danger at all.

Before arriving in FL, locate/call an LP dealership(they will have the fill adapter)and have your tank re-filled, it's much less per gallon than having it filled at the RV park. Last fall I paid $1.67/G at my local LP supplier, The RV park quoted me $3.69/G.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy Read more at: John_F_Kennedy_1961
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:27 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Run the rear LP furnace to supply warm air to the wet bay and fresh water tank, front LP furnace to keep us warm. the waste tanks will not freeze while traveling due to water sloshing. When parked overnight there will be adequate residual heat to prevent freeze damage. Not not leave the waste hose out overnight or it will be difficult to store next morning, if even possible when partially filled with ice in the coils. Live self-contained when parked those 2 nights if forecast lows are below 28F.
That's the way I operate when we leave Indiana, but for us it's only 1 night, sometimes no freezing danger at all.

Before arriving in FL, locate/call an LP dealership(they will have the fill adapter)and have your tank re-filled, it's much less per gallon than having it filled at the RV park. Last fall I paid $1.67/G at my local LP supplier, The RV park quoted me $3.69/G.
I don't have the 2 furnace setup that you mention. I have a TrueAire system, that is a residential heat pump with gas furnace.

Appreciate the tips on the LP and hose.
Thanks
Old 01-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mtn View Post
I don't have the 2 furnace setup that you mention. I have a TrueAire system, that is a residential heat pump with gas furnace.

Appreciate the tips on the LP and hose.
Thanks
Sorry bout that; I have a ColemanMach basement air conditioner/heat pump + a front and rear furnace. Rear furnace supplies heat to basement areas, bedroom and bathroom areas. Front furnace heats front half of coach.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy Read more at: John_F_Kennedy_1961
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, winter