Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-09-2016, 08:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Wiper arm removal 2016 Journey?

I stopped by our storage facility and found out that the recent snow (nearly 30") came off the metal roof and straightened (not bent) my passenger side wiper arm straight down. The blade assembly is a little twisted up, but the arm structure is straight. I'm thinking that either it spun the wiper arm on the shaft, or internal linkage gave way. The drivers side blade was a bit twisted but the arm was still "on the windshield".

It wasn't a good time to work on it so I'll be going back later. This arm doesn't have an acorn nut bolting it to the shaft like others I've had. The cover over the shaft is smooth with no apparent fastener. Do you think the arm simply pulls off the shaft once you swing the arm away from the windshield?

The roof at this storage place is 40ft and the coach is 39" 9". I noticed two other coaches also suffered the same fate. I'm hoping it didn't damage the wiper linkage.

As always, much appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hmmm... guess this one stumped the group Our good friends at Winnebago responded with an answer. The nut assembly for the shaft is located under the smooth cover which apparently simply pulls off. I'll give it a shot one day this week.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 02-11-2016, 03:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I've used a windshield wiper removal tool like this in the past that worked well. You can also use a battery cable puller ( similar tool )
The lock nut is under the smooth plastic cover that you can pry up.....its a 15mm nut ( if my memory is still in tact ) You may need to replace the arm with a new one... since the spline in the arm is made of a softer material then the drive post spline ( by design ) to save the wiper assembly from being permanently damaged.
Good luck

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/oe...FUodgQod_h4PbQ
Old 02-11-2016, 11:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Belladog. Good to know. I'm glad to hear that the arm teeth are softer. That may have saved my linkage!

cheers,
Joopy
Old 02-15-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

do you happen to have any pics of the wiper assembly? We were driving ours home to PA after picking it up in Ohio. The wiper arm became detached, but luckily it didn't fall completely off. I'm afraid the nut may have to be replaced...much obliged for any pics!
KJMac69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMac69 View Post
do you happen to have any pics of the wiper assembly? We were driving ours home to PA after picking it up in Ohio. The wiper arm became detached, but luckily it didn't fall completely off. I'm afraid the nut may have to be replaced...much obliged for any pics!
Sorry for the slow response. I just got around to pulling the wipers this afternoon. You're probably home by now and have already made your repair but here's some pics anywho

1/2" socket removes the nut from the shaft along with a very thin washer behind the nut. I needed to persuade the arm off the shaft with a large pair of pump pliers since I did not have gear puller.

My passenger side arm is slightly bent and both blade are bent out of shape. I'll try to straighten and then remount them later.

cheers,
Joopy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1707.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	119207   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1713.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	119208