Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2014, 11:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Would you fix it or scrap it?

We have a 1985 Winnebago Chieftan 33'. Our first trip out, we broke a fan belt outside Springfield, MO, but a mobile repairman fixed us up. Yesterday, about this time the RV overheated with a loud noise. After 16 hours in the heat, the first 3 by the side of the road because Good Sam said there was no one to tow us, so just sleep by the side of the road. Anyway, I digress. We found a mobile mechanic who came out & replaced the valve cover gaskets (well, put some in as someone had just squeezed some goo on it & slapped them together. We get that fixed & discover that we've blown the front & rear oil seals. The mechanic can do an R & R with a rebuilt engine for about $1750 with a 90 day warranty. We have about $5k invested in it.

SO, here's the question, would you spend the money to fix the old girl, or call it quits & dump it. I'm so torn.

Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Its a classic....I think I'd put the dough in.....Its hard to give up on an old classic rig like that.....everything needs a little bit of TLC with age.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:18 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textronics View Post
We have a 1985 Winnebago Chieftan 33'...... The mechanic can do an R & R with a rebuilt engine for about $1750 with a 90 day warranty. We have about $5k invested in it.

SO, here's the question, would you spend the money to fix the old girl, or call it quits & dump it. I'm so torn.

I don't know "how" you can get a rebuilt motor installed for that price, seems waay too cheap IMO, but if that is true (installed and warranted) then I would go for it before just giving up. Good luck. Ed
Old 07-05-2014, 05:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I guess it may depend on how deep your pockets are. If he'll replace the motor with a warranty you may give it a shot. As mentioned seeing the older rigs on the road is great. I seen one just the other day on I-275 heading North for the weekend. WOW is all I could say for the condition it was in. Good luck on yours but remember after the motor just about anything can happen and you have to be prepared for it. Something seems to go all the time. Have fun and Be Safe.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Are you talkin' 'bout CRANKSHAFT seals?

I feel like I did that jus' by dropping the oil pan...
Old 07-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I think that you need to look at it in a couple of ways. What shape is the rest of the running gear,what condition the interior and exterior are in and how much you like riding around in a MH most of us kind of wish we had ourselves.
I wish that I was only in mine for that amount. I just had to spend $3100 for an exhaust manifold repair on my 3126B Cat and then turned around and coughed up $3000 for an aftermarket warranty,so that I wouldn't have that again. I really like my rig and don't want to change it for another one.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

If the coach is in good shape then yes, i'd fix it. Running an older vehicle will always involve a higher level of maintenance. You'll eventually get on top of it. Keep the faith!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Not sure why you would want to replace the engine when both oil seals can be replaced. The task would involve the temporary removal of the crankshaft to get to the seals, then the shaft would be reinstalled. If there is nothing more wrong with the engine than the seals (you DO have an oil leak correct? When the seals are compromised, they allows oil to leak from the front and rear of the engine), then just have the seals replaced. The cost would vary but I doubt if it would pass the $500.00 mark and most of that would be labor. The seals themselves are relatively inexpensive. Seals will wear out, but having both fail at the same time is odd unless something else caused the seals to fail. The only thing that comes to mind is a clogged PCV valve or a clogged crankcase breather system. If that happens, blow-by would build up in the crankcase and with nowhere else to go, the pressure would relieve itself through the lowest point of resistance which would be the oil seals.

Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I think there is more wrong, but I personally don't understand all of the details. Once it was taken apart, there are enough things wrong that replacement is the way to go. We will get a good warranty on the motor once it is in and the connections to transmission, crankshaft & exhaust manifold will be tended to and the exhaust system sealed properly. We stupidly believed the previous owner was repairing what he said he was instead of putting it together with "chewing gum & bailing wire." I used to take care of the engine on my vehicle when I was a teenager. Maybe it's time to see if I can figure out this engine & what care it needs.

DH really enjoyed our trip to St. Louis more than he thought he would. He really likes our RV & unless we decide to full-time, it's more rig than we will ever need. He realizes he is pushing 70 & has decided he wants to go & do while he can go & do. The interior of the rig is in good condition. I want to replace the carpeting with hard flooring & the wall board beside & behind the stove. The wall behind the the stove has been overheated & melted. I don't want a fire. But structurally it is a sturdy old rig that's pretty enough. And once she's up & running, she will be paid in full which means a lot.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

In my opinion ( and we all have at least one)...
First: I'd hire a local verifiably qualified motorhome tech and pay for a complete look-over of your entire coach for the purpose of giving you a detailed estimate of EVERYTHING that needs to be and or should be done with an associated timetable - first: what needs to be done (critical for your driving safety), second: what needs to be done (for your comfort), etc. Use this list to determine how deep you want to get into this coach.

Second: Have a heart-to-heart conversation with your DH and look at your finances and debt tolerances to taking on a loan to buy another coach.

This process usually makes your choice(s) fairly obvious.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
First: I'd hire a local verifiably qualified motorhome tech and pay for a complete look-over of your entire coach for the purpose of giving you a detailed estimate of EVERYTHING that needs to be and or should be done
Yeah, you're right, we should have done this before buying it. I got suckered in with the "nicest guy" who was willing to make some repairs. Right! Turns out they slapped the exhaust together & didn't do that right & now we find out the motor has a cracked head. I know better with buying vehicles. I can't explain why I didn't do better. But, that's water under the bridge now. We are replacing the motor & have IN WRITING a terrific warranty already. This work will make the rig much more reliable. And if it breaks down, I either get the mechanic out to fix it or he will pay for someone else to do so.

We agreed when we started getting ready for retirement that we wouldn't take on any new big loans. Our S & B is paid off & all we pay on it is insurance & taxes. Our van is almost paid off. The PT Cruiser is free & clear. Winnie will be, too. DH is willing to use some of his investments to get Winnie up to snuff. I'm sure once the repairs are made I'll feel much better about taking off in it.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

I bought a 99 Minnie that I have been pumping money into been out a couple of times you just have to think the worst and maybe its not all that bad I've done a lot to mine roof sealed tires propane but if handy not to bad.
ebrownell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:19 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

First I heard a head was cracked...that paints a worsening picture.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Its a tough call how far to go with it
ebrownell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:42 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

It'll be a toss up between, your heart, your head and your wallet!

Its very easy to throw good money after bad. The advice given by 'Just for fun' is very good advice and that's where I'd be going next if I were you.

In OUR case, the restoration of our motorhome is firmly ruled by the heart due to the sentimental value of the vehicle. We are systematically going through every nut and bolt and replacing what ever needs replacing, including overhauling the engine & transmission and I'm doing most of the work myself.

If we had taken a logical approach, we'd have quit the project a long time ago!

Still, at the end of the day when the job is done, we will have a nice classic vehicle that stands out from the crowd and that is what I want.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
First: I'd hire a local verifiably qualified motorhome tech and pay for a complete look-over of your entire coach for the purpose of giving you a detailed estimate of EVERYTHING that needs to be and or should be done with an associated timetable - first: what needs to be done (critical for your driving safety), second: what needs to be done (for your comfort), etc. Use this list to determine how deep you want to get into this coach.

Second: Have a heart-to-heart conversation with your DH and look at your finances and debt tolerances to taking on a loan to buy another coach.

This process usually makes your choice(s) fairly obvious.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

BINGO !!! My thoughts exactly. Have a professional look at it and get an estimate for all work. He may get it on a hoist and find thousands $$ more that haven't been discovered yet. A new engine (btw I'm in the industry a new engine installed for 1700.00 is eiither by a fool or a saint) may only fix whats broken now, other very expensive problems may be shortly behind. Thats not to say its not worth fixing. We drive a 1996 and we love it. Try a local rv dealer and ask who they use to certify pre-owned units.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:34 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
. A new engine (btw I'm in the industry a new engine installed for 1700.00 is eiither by a fool or a saint) .
The price was for another as is motor which we vetoed. We are going with a new motor with a warranty. When putting it all back together, we are fixing other things that became apparent as this was taken apart like the exhaust system. The total will be about $4500 parts & labor. We have decided to go this route because it will provide us with what we hope to be a rig to enjoy with no debt once this is fixed. We recognize that this is not the last expense we will put out. But, it's our baby. So, yes, the pleasure & love of the rig is playing a role.

DH enjoyed the RV more than he thought he would and realizes that he's not going to live forever. He says he wants to go do while he can go do. We like the layout & livability of the rig (for 2 of us as it has no slides), & the ability to pick up & go pretty much whenever we want to.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:04 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textronics View Post
The price was for another as is motor which we vetoed. We are going with a new motor with a warranty. When putting it all back together, we are fixing other things that became apparent as this was taken apart like the exhaust system. The total will be about $4500 parts & labor. We have decided to go this route because it will provide us with what we hope to be a rig to enjoy with no debt once this is fixed. We recognize that this is not the last expense we will put out. But, it's our baby. So, yes, the pleasure & love of the rig is playing a role.

DH enjoyed the RV more than he thought he would and realizes that he's not going to live forever. He says he wants to go do while he can go do. We like the layout & livability of the rig (for 2 of us as it has no slides), & the ability to pick up & go pretty much whenever we want to.
Not having to make monthly payments accounts for a lot!

Enjoy your sentimental money pit, I know we enjoy ours!!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:51 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

This started out cheap in the beginning ; no mention of transmission,alternator,brakes ,steering,roof, dash air, roof air,hot water heater,furnace,tires,suspension,plumbing,generator ,floor,refrigerator,tv,rear end,drive shaft,bearings front and rear,holding tanks,and and and and. You already established the previous owner did not maintain it and jury rigged it to get rid of it.
Use this as an education and find something more reliable. You know how much fun it is sitting on the side of the road. Alot of the advice here alludes to when the engine is replaced that magically your good to go. Sure right to the tire shop for $$$$$$ 2 to 3 grand in tires. Thats if the tranny gets you there.

Reality can be painful to the wallet. Good luck
Old 07-10-2014, 04:31 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

With the chassis of that age you should get the brakes, drive shaft, wheel bearings, rear axle and transmission serviced too along with the parking brake. It would be a shame to go through the engine expense and then loose the rig to a brake or wheel bearing fire. Also the fuel lines should be checked and the rubber sections replaced to prevent a fuel leak igniting on the exhaust.

I lost my 95 to a wheel fire and it is not any fun to loose your brakes and be driving down the interstate on fire with your family along for the ride. We all got out unharmed but...

Tags
scr