Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Clubs & Associations > Winnebago International Travelers Club (WIT)
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2018, 05:15 AM   #1

Grand Tour 45RL

I have a 2017 Grand Tour 45RL and discovered after buying it that the ladder Winnebago provides is not sufficient for access to my roof. I have not been able to get Winnebago interested in providing a rear mounted ladder for roof access, and wanted to find out from other owners if this is also an issue for them. I intend to write a letter to their President regarding this and wanted to see how much support I would have from other owners.
Cefannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2018, 05:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cefannin View Post
I have a 2017 Grand Tour 45RL and discovered after buying it that the ladder Winnebago provides is not sufficient for access to my roof. I have not been able to get Winnebago interested in providing a rear mounted ladder for roof access, and wanted to find out from other owners if this is also an issue for them. I intend to write a letter to their President regarding this and wanted to see how much support I would have from other owners.

Really? Buy a grand tour and don't want to buy a ladder? Priceless
Old 05-12-2018, 07:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Really? Buy a grand tour and don't want to buy a ladder? Priceless
I'd say "Really...for the price of a Grand Tour and it doesn't come with a rear ladder to access the roof???"

Unfortunately for the O.P. it's clear the unit doesn't come with one, so hard to expect them to give him one now. It's not like it was supposed to have one and did not.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:55 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
I'd say "Really...for the price of a Grand Tour and it doesn't come with a rear ladder to access the roof???"

Unfortunately for the O.P. it's clear the unit doesn't come with one, so hard to expect them to give him one now. It's not like it was supposed to have one and did not.
Hmm, my Itasca ellipse/Wbg Tour, came with the "Extension" to the permanent posterior latter.
Anyway, if you look towards/on the ceiling in your basement compartment with the pull out mega drawers, there is a Harness (metal) which has an Aluminum "multi purpose" latter (6-7 ft), pull it out and unfold it, and voila you have access to the permanent latter on the back of your rig. Pls be careful.
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:57 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
oooops: LaDDer! sorry. lol
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:18 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A number of us chose not to have a rear ladder and opted for a folding 17' ladder that can be used all around the coach. When extended the ladder leans against the side wall and extends about 3' above the roof line - making it much more safe to climb / descend.

From my knowledge the rear ladder is not an option on the Grand Tour - and many other higher end coaches.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:31 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
WoW this post has been around a year with only 5 replies. Somewhere around 5 or 6 years ago, ladders started becoming an option. Winnebago installed a really nice 2 piece ladder on my coach. Not sure how much it cost me but I bet it wasn't cheap.
chuckftboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:55 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was just at a CG here in South central Tx (Austin). Met this super nice couple. The Guy has a HR Navigator Caspian or Bismark IV, at least that's what it looked like. 600 Hp, 2008. Now I don't know if it came with a ladder, but he had one of those "Pull out" "Stretch out", I don't know what to call them, they're like 4 ft tall when in the stow away position or fully collapsed, but when you pull them out/Extend then I think they're like 12 to 15 ft. I got one for the house, now my home is full of step stools and 3 step ladders well mostly because the DW is only 5 ft tall. But anyway, just food for thought, give it a try.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:20 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed a permanent ladder on a Class A. Was not hard to do. Use large screws and sealant on every hole. Did have to do some cutting. No big deal.

Tags
grand design rv