RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Clubs & Associations > Winnebago International Travelers Club (WIT)
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heated Holding Tanks?

Hi all,
I have a new 2016 Minnie Winnie 22R. It has heated holding tanks and I am not sure just what that means and how effective they are in using them for winter camping?

Can someone give me advice on what procedures I should follow for using my MH in freezing conditions both while driving down the road and when parked for camping? Do I leave the heated tanks on ALL the time?

I plan to winterize it and then bring gallon jugs of what to use for toilet when flushing. I will not have any water in the house holding tank nor will I be hooking up to campground water supply. If I do this will the heated holding tanks prevent the black tanks from freezing? Will the heated holding tanks also allow me to put water down the gray tanks and they will not freeze? Do I leave the heated tank switch on ALL of the time?

Any help in winter camping would be nice to hear what other do.

Thanks
Evan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2015, 02:24 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Since you have a switch, you're not getting the heat from the furnace. They are 12v electric heating pads, thermostatically controlled to come on at 44, off at 64 degrees. Either the engine or generator should be running, or the shore cord plugged in or your batteries will quickly be depleted. They should not melt your holding tanks if empty.

The only caution about your system would be that the dump valves and drains are all outside and below the RV, not contained or heated like many Class A RVs that have enclosed wet bays.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Guess I should have asked this question elswhere
Old 09-29-2015, 01:23 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
If you Google 'RV winter camping' you'll find lots of tips and suggestions on how to do it safely. As I said before, your RV doesn't have a heated wet bay, containing all your plumbing and dumping valves. While the heat pads can keep the tank from freezing, it won't stop the valves and exposed pipes from freezing.

Most RVs are not really rust proofed on the chassis and support structure. Driving on salty roads can accelerate rust issues. Inside the RV, each person, any cooking, etc. will contribute a lot of moisture to a confined space with lots of cold surfaces. Condensation and water damage can be a real issue in an RV in winter time.

Here's a few links:

What You Need to Know to Take a Winter RV Camping Trip

https://www.fmca.com/polks-top-7/281...her-rving.html

Cold Weather RV Camping Guide

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Bob, I just had a chance to read the articles. Good information.

Tags
heat, tank