RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Clubs & Associations > Winnebago International Travelers Club (WIT)
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2014, 12:01 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
We looked at the WIT program and could not see anything in the offerings that interested us at all.
I have to agree. Personally, I see no benefit in continuing this membership; however, I am not retired. I might feel different in a few years.

Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2014, 05:40 AM   #16

I agree, nothing that I see that's a worthy benefit. Maybe I'm missing something. Joined good Sam and koa.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:08 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am starting to agree also with dropping. I know this is each persons choice, but I look at what you really get for the $$$, and not much anymore. I personally think FMCA and Escapees have a better magazine. Plus I was told when I was at the GNR that some of the staff of WIT and the building expense is paid by Winnebago. If that is true that is a big part to save any budget. Just my two cents worth.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I too am questioning what am I getting for any amount.
I have seen or heard the exact same discussion in the past few months regarding ALL of the RV clubs we are members of. (I know of none that have lowered membership dues except in limited promotions). All are trying to deal with declining membership and higher costs. In at least two cases the annual membership cost is already higher than in WIT. The discussion always includes the question of what, if anything, the national organization/office provides for the membership. And there is also the normal complaint that they are required/forced/etc to be a part of the national organization in order to be a part of a local chapter (try living in Kansas/South Dakota/Florida/etc w/o living in the USA ...can't be done although we might wish it could!). If we don't like our national organization we need to get involved and change it to something better, or we can leave and find an organization/nation we like better. That is our choice ...fix it, leave it or tolerate it. But most clubs are also having great struggles in getting anyone to take any responsibility or leadership roles nationally OR in local chapters. Seems most of us ...and I include myself ...want to sit back and enjoy the benefits w/o putting out any effort or much $$ to ensure there ARE benefits.

The rv club we are most active in has reached the tipping point in membership that may cause it to fold, while members still complain that "they" on the national level "don't provide anything to us" on the local level. "They" on the national level literally are "us" ...regular local chapter members elected by the membership to positions on the national BOD ...but too many on the local level just can't seem to understand that. And national dues have just been raised by almost 50% which of course will cause some to drop their membership. If/when the national organization folds I guess the local chapter members will begin to understand what the national level org provided ...or not ...but in either case it will be too late at that point to matter. And we will have to get active with another rv club or start our own rv club...
Old 11-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Paul, I think it hit it on the nail. We need to get involved if we want to make anything work these days. Otherwise some other group who is involved is making the recommendations/decisions and we have to live with it.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #20

WIT club price increase

I just finished my year as head of our local chapter and what I have read is true .No one wants to be officers or wagon masters any more. I am the youngest one in our club 55 and have been a member of 4 years. I not only am a member of WIT I am also a FMCA member. The State and National Officers fight change also. They do not like change but they are going to have to our they will fold. I tried to get Winnebago to go along with a joint outing with a FMCA Club. FMCA are having a rally this June and wanted to bring our group in with the FMCA Winnebago club. ran it by my regional rep and he said we can go but not call it a camp out of WIT . A big no no something about insurance that WIT gives for our outings. it is like pulling teeth to get them to change.I also was at a FMCA Event and went to a board meeting .and explained our experience going to the event.we still work and got to the event but could not get in at 5.00 pm they lock the gate .we had to stay in a Walmart parking lot that night and go in the next moring. They did not want to hear of my problems and got very up set with me standing against them. I ask them how they could be called family when they lock there gates at 5.00 pm when most people are getting off work. The title of this meeting was How to get younger people to join FMCA. the big boys are going to have to change there mind set or a lot of these clubs will die off
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:37 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree CT. We are newer Winnie owners and went to our first WIT event this month. The people could not have been nicer and we felt very welcomed. However, looking around the group it was obvious that like a lot of organizations, you get younger or you perish.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/735629463187747/
JimGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #22
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Most of the existing RV organizations were formed to meet the perceived needs of older, mostly retired RVers many of whom were snowbirds. They provided some technical support along with a social setting in the form of RV rallies.

Today, although the average age of RV owners is still fairly high, there are lots of RV owners who aren't snowbirds or even retired. They use their RVs for family vacations and some live in them as housing while pursuing short term jobs, etc. IMHO I doubt that either of these owner groups are all that eager spend their free time going to an RV rally to sit around listening to discussions on "how to keep your black tank clean" or playing bingo.

If you haven't yet tried it, I suggest that people who frequent forums such as this one, take a look a some of the Facebook groups that appeal to RVers. There are thousands of people who appear to use those groups to share much of the same kind of information that we share here. But you also find that many of them are a generation or more younger than most of the folks here. I suspect that those folks are the ones who aren't joining the existing RV organizations because they don't see them as relevant to their needs.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
I believe that most specialty social organizations are in decline nowadays. Their time has passed. During the early days you joined an organization to meet like minded people, find out what was happening and get together for comraderie. You heard about the organization through word of mouth, got mail outs by snail mail and attended rallies as a big part of your entertainment.

Nowadays the ease and proliferation of communication techniques has rendered the travel clubs almost obsolete. There are any number of activities offered that enable anyone to socialize at their convenience. Cruises, tours, etc abound. The internet has opened up the world. We can instantly make friends around the world.

We no longer need the structure of a club to meet like minded people.

Nowadays we are able to instantly price compare. Folks are demanding more value for money and using the internet to find the deals. While the price of membership is reasonable in absolute dollars it does not deliver value for money. Most of the organized events and caravans are not priced competitively (in my recollection) in comparison to other activities such as cruising.

The big club killer IMO is the number of available leisure activities that compete for our interest and our money and our time. There seem to be rallys every day. Which do we support and which do we attend? Since we cannot attend them all users are cutting back to the ones they are able to utilize.

I know of a specialty motorcycle club that facing declining membership has encouraged membership to riders with alternate brands. It is not just a WIT issue.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:51 PM   #24

Dues Increase

I own a Winnebago product. Belonging to WIT is a wY to stay informed and interact with others with like products. I also agree that if this is the first raise in 11 years that's amazing. So if history is a teacher then maybe their wont be a raise for another 11 years!

Zanthus is offline   Reply With Quote