RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2006, 10:31 AM   #1

Hi all...Last trip on the road my dash air quit. My warranty has run out and am wondering if anyone has run across the problem with maybe an easy fix as to where the leak might be.

Oh by the way..Spartan chassis.

Thanks in advance.......Fritzo

Fritzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2006, 10:31 AM   #2

Hi all...Last trip on the road my dash air quit. My warranty has run out and am wondering if anyone has run across the problem with maybe an easy fix as to where the leak might be.

Oh by the way..Spartan chassis.

Thanks in advance.......Fritzo

Fritzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:21 PM   #3

I have had problems with my 2004 DSDPs dash air. Twice I have had to have the Evans control valve replaced. when the control valve would not fully close it allowed hot air to mix in with the dash air. I would turn the temperature control knob all the way to heat and than back to fully cold. This usually would close the Evans control valve and I would start getting cold air again. I now have spliced a shut off valve into one of the heater hoses and keep the water flow to my dash heater turned off. I never have had a need for the dash heater since I am always in warm weather.
If you think the Evans control valve might be the problem try clamping off either heater hose and see if the dash air conditioner starts to put out cold air again.

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tom has come up with the answer if you need more info go to "Find" and type in "dash air" and you will fine some more. Much in the same line as Toms answer.
How would you like to be a member of the Newmar Forum we can take care of that for you also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:36 AM   #5

A good indicater that the valve is the problem is seeing condensation dripping from the evaporator yet no inside cooling. I had to replace mine in my last MA coach.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:58 AM   #6

I had a different problem with my 2000 KSDP. When I turned the dash controls to cold, the compressor would not kick in. It took a completely new wire to the compressor clutch to get it working. My little KS has only 1 rooftop unit so I need all the cooling capacity I can get.

Boy, I need that Essex.

Ken
Old 08-15-2006, 08:53 PM   #7

Hey Fritzo: I'm over here in Mobile, Alabama and I've got a VERY similar set up like you in my 2003 KS w/330 CAT/Allison/Freightliner config. I've had to replace my Evans Control Valve 3 times. I finally got an explanation and it turns out that Evans had purchased a BUNCH of the valves that had an "imperfection" in the valve flap or closure. These got installed "fleetwide" enmasse. The imperfection in the closure prevented the valve from operating correctly as it couldn't get "all the way" shut and it allowed the hot water to "seep by" and eventually "steal" your cool air! Evidently I eventually got one that WASN'T in the original LOT since mine has now been "rockin' along" for about 2 years ( knock on the proverbial wood! )
The Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:08 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi:

My 2003 Scootsdale just had the valve replaced. I kept telling the service guy to check it the very first time I took it back for service. Took him two times to check it. Now I believe he works elswhere (just kidding)

But the old GM dash air units had a "mixer valve" that would fail in a similar manner. So that's why I told them to check the mixer "circuits".

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Had my dash air checked out today at Duncan RV and they found the valve to be faulty also. They replaced it. Hopefully they did not get one of the faulty valves. I have to say the people here at Duncan RV in Elkhart have the best service department I have ever dealt with.
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:52 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
So far so good on that problem when and if it fails will put in ball valve and shut heater down for the summer.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote