Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #1

04' KSC 3740 purchase

My family is looking at an 04' Kountry Star 3740 Gas, with under 10k miles, 1.5 bath and no booth/table its the desk. They are asking $38k. Is this reasonable or should we steer clear? We are new to the search and dont know alot about coaches or RV's at all really. From the photos and talking with the current owner it sounds to be very well taken care. 4 new tires on rear 2 weeks ago, one owner, a yearly thorough check has been performed on it. He has covers for everything, dash, furniture, etc...

Ive read about the brake recall , yet to ask him about that, as well as the fridge, not sure which one it has. I know its just the 2 door fridge.

Any help as to what I should look at or ask him about? What are everyones thoughts on gas vs diesel? Any major issues with the 8.1? I personally am a fan of a diesel, (drive a cummins). It is an older couple so its been well taken care of.

Thank you all in advance and hopefully we can learn before we make a purchase and not get oursleves into a bad situation after the fact. There seems to be a tremendous amount of info on this forum but I have no idea where I need to focus. Thanks again

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to the group okieRV. You'll get lots of help here I expect. Personally, I think the price is great, if the condition is great. I wouldn't part with mine for anything close to that. The miles indicate it hasn't been driven that much and that's not always good. I think a good check out will tell you what you're dealing with. Diesel vs. gas is sure to get some comments. I've got a gas rig and it was mainly a $ decision. My mileage is less than 10K a year and with the gas rig my normal maintenance costs are less. I do my own and I'm very familiar with what I have. Age and condition of tires and batteries might be an issue but if they need replacing that could be part of price negotiation. We're north to south every year and across country a couple of times. My 8.1L has never let me down and I climb the mountains with the best of them. I believe the 2004 was part of the brake recall and you'll want to see if it's been done. There is also a Workhorse forum on IRV2 where you can get all chassis/engine help you need.

Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Welcome to iRV2.com.
I had a 2003 KSCA 3740 and put almost 100,000 miles on it before selling it at PPL about three years ago. It sold for $36,000.00 back then, so I think a year newer with only 10,000 miles is a good deal at $38K today. From my experience, you have a LOT of good miles ahead of you. AFAIK, the buyers are still driving my Newmar 3740 / Workhorse W-22 without any major failures.Many times I wish I had never traded, but I wanted one of the last of the Workhorse chassis ( W-24) under another bath & 1/2 floor plan, so we bought our signature coach.

Make sure the Bosch brake recall has been completed by the current owner, and go take a look and test drive before sending any money. If you can get the last 8 digits of the chassis vin #, I can get the chassis build sheet and check for any other recalls.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi okieRV,
Welcome to iRV2 and the Newmar Owners Forum. Go to
2004 Kountry Star M-3740-WRKHRS(*) Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides to see the NADA value of the coach you are considering. The $38K seems to be in the ball park. Complete checking out all the items mentioned in your OP and the other posts. The roof will need to be resealed. Consider using EternaBond. It is a tape that once you put it down one can forget it for 10 years.

Gas vs. diesel is not an issue. Floor plan sells the coach. Just make sure:
1. It can carry all your stuff and you.
2. It can tow the vehicle you want to tow.
These are weight questions. You'll need to understand this before moving forward.

Go to https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...es/2004ksb.pdf for the brochure. In the specifications area you can take a look at the weights and see if you have what you need.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #5

Thank you all for the feedback, very much appreciated. The batteries were all replaced this year along with the rear tires. I will definitely address the roof sealing, he said there are no issues with leaks anywhere.

Should I have any concerns with the fridge? I saw a couple threads on the Norcold 1200??? I have no idea what is in this coach. Its a local private treaty deal, so we plan to look at it after wheat harvest is over and test drive as well. Thanks again.

edgray, Ill see if I can get the VIN for you I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum & irv2.
I own same coach but a 03 so you have found a coach that you will be happy with.
You can see some interior pictures of my coach in QT's 1 & 2 with some mods I added.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for 2004.
My roof is in good shape for 03 coach and from you description of the 04 I would guess its the same, the seams can be covered with E-Bond tape to keep them that way.
You have a Bird System if you can keep coach plugged in at house will keep your batteries fully charged.
Good luck and maybe a welcome to Newmar family.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase