Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2016, 01:45 PM   #1

05-07 NS, DS, MA Potential buyer looking for some answers

So I am looking to upgrade and swap my 11' Heartland Bighorn 5er for a Class A DP. Before I do this though I am trying to do LOTS of research and make sure I get what I want. I have realized that certain features are nice (cord/hose winders), aqua hot or larger than 10 gal HW tank, are high on my list of wants, but not required. What I am realizing what is important is furniture build quality. In my 5er much of it it put together with the quality of balsa wood. Yes, it keeps it super light but it holds together like crap and warps really easy. My good friend has an 06 Winnebago 40KD (which I am also looking at those models too as well as Tiffin and maybe Monaco) and the quality on that is much much better. Almost feels residential quality. However another friend of mine has a brand new Coachmen Sportscoach which on the outside looks good, inside the couches feel decently made, but the cabinetry and woodwork quality is poor (Doors and outside area you can see look nice (Oak, Maple, etc,) but the interior shelving area is crap that warps and falls apart easy). I know the features in the Newmar lineup increase as you go from NS to DS to MA but does the type of wood used and quality of the build also increase or does Newmar tend to use the same build materials in all the rigs and the differences between the lines purely exist in features like aqua hot, cord reels, etc? I guess the 20 million dollar question here is what makes a DS a DS, a NS a NS and a MA a MA and what are the differences between them other than a few options and the chassis/engine that runs them?
RyRoRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 06:21 PM   #2

Your bound to get lots of chatter with this thread; Answers are going to be really varied; Here is my input.

Our first coach (after 2 fifth wheels) was a 08 Ventana. But it was too short for our liking at 33' and was a pain in the neck to drive even with comfort drive.

From there we went to a 08 HR Scepter tag. Nice coach but always working on house items. The roadmaster chassis was ok. While the chassis has a diehard following it is now a dated design when compared to coaches with IFS. IMHO

Then we tried a late model Winnebago Journey. While we liked some of their concepts it had terrible (comfort) furniture and ridiculous Schwintek slides. We couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

We knew from that moment forward that we wanted and needed a tag Newmar coach. So when we had to a chance to buy our DutchAire from the original owners it was a no brainer. Lots of space, Spartan chassis and very well built.

Our current coach fits in our budget and has the features that work for our family. So on that note I will say that its those features that are most important to you that will help you identify the unit thats right.

You will FEEL the difference when you start to look at Newmar coaches, compared apples to apples with other manufacturers. Yes there is a price point for everyone and features and construction varies from model to model.

Take you time, test drive, lot/show shop and you will find the right fit.

HAVE FUN!
Old 08-04-2016, 08:30 PM   #3

To directly answer your question on the Newmar line. Yes, quality increases as you go up the line, NS to DS to MA, in almost everything. Number of coats of exterior paint increases, cabinets improve in wood quality and finish, furniture and their fabrics increase. That said, you really should visit a Newmar dealer or the factory and walk through each model to fully appreciate and "feel" the difference.

When I first decided to buy a diesel pusher I looked at a lot of used coaches on-line and from the pictures really couldn't tell much difference in the lot. then I started going to dealers and looking. Finally, I went to a dealer and looked at a coach they had listed on the internet. Boy, was I disappointed as it was not what I had expected. By chance there was a 1999 Dutchstar parked right next to the one I had come to see. The salesman made some comment that I should really take a look inside. What a difference, the build quality was obvious with well fitting cabinets, quality wood and good furniture. It was quite a bit more than I was planning on spending but by the time I drove home and discussed it with the wife we decided it was the coach we wanted. Bought it that day and never regretted it.

Like the old saying goes, "a picture is worth a thousand words", but seeing something in person is like reading an entire book. Don't get in a big rush, look, look, look until you find that ONE that you know will fit you.

Good luck in your search.