Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2006, 07:05 AM   #1

Now that I've buttered you up, hopefully some of you have some insight for us. We're going fulltiming for a year+ with our two young boys in January. I'm looking seriously at the All-Star but would like to get some real world info.
[LIST]

Thank you VERY much! It's a big deci$ion for us!

Robert
rstreett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2006, 07:05 AM   #2

Now that I've buttered you up, hopefully some of you have some insight for us. We're going fulltiming for a year+ with our two young boys in January. I'm looking seriously at the All-Star but would like to get some real world info.
[LIST]

Thank you VERY much! It's a big deci$ion for us!

Robert
Old 09-17-2006, 07:07 AM   #3

Well my list of questions didn't come out like I expected! Here they are again..

Does the mid engine design produce too much heat and/or noise for your liking?

Is the interior design conducive to full timing with kids?

Does it have enough power to pull your toad comfortably?

Any other comments about it?
Old 09-17-2006, 01:49 PM   #4

I can't answer all your questions as I have little knowledge of the All Star. I have been in them and believe they are a very unique design. They look like a great rig.

Having just been at the Newmar factory, I noticed one thing. Yesterday morning I noticed a new All Star that had just came out of production. To my surprise this unit had 3 A/C units. I don't think this indicates that the mid engine is warm within the coach, as I doubt it is. However it may be a great option.

My last coach, A DSDP, had 2 AC units. With so much glass in the front the AC had a hard time bring down the heat up front heat. I always wanted 3 AC units, perferably 15 k units. I now have that and oh yes, it is great.

As far as heat from engines, ie: DP's are hot in the bedroom area after a run, I have no idea why anyone would say that. Unless they have a poorly insulated engine compartment, but that is not Newmar at any level.

Bottom line. The All Star looks to be a unique great motorhome choice that will probably be a design others will adopt to.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:12 PM   #5

Lug Nut, Did you happen to notice the color on the Allstar? It probably is ours. The 3rd AC is optional only on the 42' with garage. The mid engine is not warm at all-test drove(handling is great!) three diffrent units. The 3rd AC is for the garage which we will also use as 2nd bedroom, washer/dryer, TV, computer etc.-therefor the AC. Actually ending up with more living space than we thought orginally.

rstreet-my wife has emailed you the email address for the two families traveling with Allstars. If we had children with us fulltime would prefer the 4154 with bunks, etc.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:43 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
rstreett,
I have not owned an AllStar, but have crawled all over them. I always wanted a bunk bed class A. Look at model 4154. It has bunk beds on the curb side wall and is 41 ft long. To answer your Qs:
"Does the mid engine design produce too much heat and/or noise for your liking?" The owners I have talked to say no problem with heat or noise. I test drove an AllStar. On the noise topic I agree with the owners. There is no problem.

"Is the interior design conducive to full timing with kids?" We travel a lot with grand kids and one set of parents. I recommend only the 4514 model (bunk beds on curb side wall) for full timing with kids. The 4154 requires no setup/break down. In addition, when the "mood" strikes mom and dad, there is at least a sliding door between you and the little ones.

"Does it have enough power to pull your toad comfortably?" My signature coach has an ISC 330 hp. I tow a 5100 lb toad (GMC ENVOY XUV). The street weight is my coach is 29,740. lbs. This is a combined weight of almost 35K lbs. I average a solid 7.4 mpg over 1000 miles. I take fuel mileage readings only every 1K miles. The low has been 6.2 and the high 8.9 mpg. Acelleration on level roads is adequate. Long grades require some patience. A 7% grade for 6+ miles will be done at 40 mph.

The Allstar has a larger engine and I hope performance would be better.

I like the 4154 so much I asked Newmar to make some changes. They have declined, but with new models every year they may come up with something I would trade for.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Robert welcome to irv2.
As you have already found outsome good people on irv2 ready to help you make up you mind with a good coach. Its best that way and also go to a dealer and try first hand to follow up. Enjoy all the forums on irv2 and let us know your decision. If its a Newmar I will give you some of that free KAMRA with your purchase.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:21 PM   #8

Dave5942, It was a dark color I believe and the third AC was located near the rear. It had an entrance door near the back on the left side (the only side I could see). It was a long unit which at first looked larger than any other All Star I've seen. It had recently come off the line I believe as it was in the final staging area. It was a great looking coach. I hope it is yours and I am sure you will love the look of that bad boy. Congradulations.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:03 AM   #9

Thank you to everyone who replied so far. I tried to PM some of you but I'm not sure the messages went through. (I'm new to these forum things!).

I've searched and searched and don't find many references to the All-Star model on any forum. I wonder if they just haven't sold that many yet?

Thanks again to all!

Rob
Old 09-18-2006, 03:12 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Like all the ESSEX that have shown up on this forum this summer you and one other will be a proud owner of the All-Star, you have visited their web site NEWMARCORP.COM for info haven't you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:21 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

How about THIS AllStar?

It's CHASSIS NUMBER 1 of this floorplan and was at Howard RV on loan from Newmar this past week...

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:24 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

One more picture...the panels on the floor are color panels they used at the FMCA show to illustrate the color options...

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:00 AM   #13

I've been on the Newmar website looking at the All Star 4154 with bunks and the 2950 and 3951 with split level bedroom area. These coaches all look great but I can't find a sticker price anywhere.

Anybody have any advice, knowledge or comments?
Old 10-23-2006, 08:26 AM   #14

List pricing is around $225,000 according to a dealer here in So. Cal. The mid-engine design didn't offer as much basement storage as we would have liked and there really wasn't that much "wardrobe" storage inside. For fulltiming with two kids we decided against it. Maybe we're wrong or missed something but that was our impression after spending several hours in it.