Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2007, 05:41 PM   #15

Geez eh, I just realized I posted "Do you think I could get the usual 25 to 27% off" in the wrong posting. I meant it for the 29k DSDP. Sorry for the confusion.

Peter

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #16

I just got back from my dealer. I actually had two problems, both of which were because of improper assembly. The outer nut was not torqued properly. This is the nut that secures the wiper arm to the "cone". The second problem was the nut behind the outer nut (but still on the exterior of the coach). It was so loose you could turn it with your fingers.

There was a Newmar representative in the service area today, so that helped things out. This is what I was told:

Newmar is aware of this problem. This type of wiper system originated on the upper-end coaches (Essex, etc.) and was just recently [I don't know what "recently" means in terms of actually when] was put on the Dutch Star line. The assembly team should be tightening the nuts to 20-to-25 ft-lbs at least twice, with a 30 min. waiting period between the tightenings. Unfortunately, they have only been tightening them once.

My dealer technician said that the "cones" under the wiper attachment are grooved, and that tightening the nut causes the grooves to cut into the wiper arm attachment point. He said he has been tightening them to 25 ft-lbs 3 or 4 times, with 30 minutes in between tightenings. He suggested I check them every once in a while with a torque wrench. He actually went back out to the coach with me and showed me how to do it with a torque wrench.

The second nut was just plain loose. He used a normal wrench to tighten it down, "pretty tight".

Although I had only noticed the problem with the Driver's wiper, it turns out the Passenger's wiper was not done properly, either.

I have posted pictures of the two guilty nuts here.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #17

Here's a little trick learned from the car business many years ago for anyone who needs to make a quick repair on the road to keep the wipers moving. First, it is much easier to get the wiper arm back on if you extend the wiper to the outer lock( such as you would when washing windshield). 2nd, cut out a very small piece of a THIN cotter pin, maybe 3/4 of an inch long. Put the end of the cotter pin through the hole in the wiper arm and while holding the pin from the outside, force the wiper arm over the splines so that the pin doesn't fall out. Any excess length of the cotter pin should be broken off at this point so that the nut may be re-installed. Tighten the nut and have a cold one for a job well done. Sounds like a major job but is very easy. It doesn't destroy any parts -- use a small cotter pin. Just my two cent repair for the day. I have also heard of persons using a match out of a matchbook or a small piece of wire.
Hope this will help someone.

Keith

2008 F-350 4WD toad
keithmadp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:26 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have posted pictures of the two guilty nuts here.

--Bill Nowlin | phototex
2007 DSDP 4023 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gallery says there are no pics?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:31 PM   #19
Administrator Emeritus

Click here...

The pics were in the approval queue...It'd be easier to click the link and read the notes with each picture,or I would've posted the pics here...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #20

Sorry about the missing pictures. I guess I'm still learning about how to do things here.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:17 PM   #21
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phototex:
Sorry about the missing pictures. I guess I'm still learning about how to do things here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill...the photo section has an approval queue to keep the spammers out....You didn't do anything wrong.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:24 PM   #22

I have had the same problem-For as much as we pay for these RV'S Newmar should find a better solution to the problem.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:32 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I noticed that Holiday Rambler uses a substantially more robust wiper system.

It looks like it has to be better.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:39 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Andrew to the Newmar forum and irv2.
We can't get away from simple problems on what ever expensive or the cheaper coachs.
One good thing here "we" seem to come up with a fix eventually.
Good to see you on the forum stick around and add to it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:02 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
We have had the same problems also. First time the passenger wiper stopped rotating. Local dealer re-torqued the nut(s) and all was well ; until the next rainstorm . Then the arm fell down and was binding the assembly so that the drivers slowed & I couldn't see . Pulled off and in the rain removed the passenger arm - guess what? The splines on the arm & shaft had been wiped slick.

Newmar replaced the entire arm assembly for both wipers at the factory in June.

Seems to be a recurring problem. Newmar are you listening?

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:13 AM   #26
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Newmar are you listening? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can be assured that "someone" is listening...

My wipers "park" on the window frame after several uses, until the next time they're adjusted...

Happens over and over again.