Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2019, 11:02 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post
A more important question for me would be the existence or absence of emission controls on the diesel engine. The early diesel emission controls were poorly designed and caused many problems with our former MH. I love the Comfort Drive in our current coach but I would easily take a 2007 coach without CD over a 2008 coach with diesel emission controls.
——— Jim
Thanks for that. I spoke to the seller today and just sent off a list of 20 questions and request for more pics, and Im making a new list and this will be at the top of it.

I assumed it would be pretty much free of the modern emissions stuff but I’ll find out exactly what it has. I also don't know if its an ISL or ISC but I suspect ISL and Im basing things on 2007 ISL specs.

Im getting the VIN in the morning and then will contact Spartan. Im told they have records on every chassis they've built, at least in recent history.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2019, 01:08 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
A more important question for me would be the existence or absence of emission controls on the diesel engine. The early diesel emission controls were poorly designed and caused many problems with our former MH. I love the Comfort Drive in our current coach but I would easily take a 2007 coach without CD over a 2008 coach with diesel emission controls.
——— Jim
Jim, what was they year and engine in the coach with emissions issues and what were the emissions components involved?
Thanks
Rich
Old 11-21-2019, 01:16 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Ours is a 3910.
t. Are there any non-CD units you can test that are close?
Really glad you asked that. Theres an 05 3910 at a dealer 30 minutes from here that Ive been ignoring because its so far outside my search parameters. Ill drive it tomorrow! Im in an area with lots of back roads and grades so this is a perfect place for a test drive. Now on to research 2005 specs to see how different it might be. Thanks again. Why didn't I think of that:

Well a quick look at the 05 3910 shows its close enough. Unladen weight is the same, it has a 330 ISC so if that has enough power for me the ISL certainly will and most importantly its in the same MMGT chassis. And since its 3’ longer the 3623 will be a bit more maneuverable. Also has the same bath and bedroom layout so I can check all that for size since Im 6’5. Need that leg room in the head!

Thanks again - is this a great forum or what?:cool
Old 11-21-2019, 04:34 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Mac View Post
Are you certain this coach does not have Comfort Drive?
A close up view of the dashboard shows a turn knob next to the headlight switch. There are no markings on it but it looks exactly like a Comfort Drive knob. It may just be a dimmer control for the dash lights.
I know nothing about the 07 08 KSDP but it may be worth researching a little more.
That’s the same dash as is in my ‘05. That is a dash light dimmer knob.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
That’s the same dash as is in my ‘05. That is a dash light dimmer knob.

Has anyone ever found out why Newmar didn’t just use the rheostat in the headlamp switch? It’s used only to turn on the overhead spotlight.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Really glad you asked that. Theres an 05 3910 at a dealer 30 minutes from here that Ive been ignoring because its so far outside my search parameters. Ill drive it tomorrow! Im in an area with lots of back roads and grades so this is a perfect place for a test drive. Now on to research 2005 specs to see how different it might be. Thanks again. Why didn't I think of that:

Well a quick look at the 05 3910 shows its close enough. Unladen weight is the same, it has a 330 ISC so if that has enough power for me the ISL certainly will and most importantly its in the same MMGT chassis. And since its 3’ longer the 3623 will be a bit more maneuverable. Also has the same bath and bedroom layout so I can check all that for size since Im 6’5. Need that leg room in the head!

Thanks again - is this a great forum or what?:cool
Demartini? Another difference in 08 I noticed was all vying floor up front. Carpet only in the bedroom. We liked that as we had a dog, and was easier to keep clean. Of course the front slides have carpet , just not the larger floor area.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Im getting the VIN in the morning and then will contact Spartan. Im told they have records on every chassis they've built, at least in recent history.
They had all the info on mine.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:05 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Jim, what was they year and engine in the coach with emissions issues and what were the emissions components involved?
Thanks
Rich
It was a 2008 ISB 340HP Cummins. The check engine light (amber) would come on and the components involved were the EGR, intake manifold, the turbo, and the crankshaft position sensor. Most of the problem was soot build-up due to the recirculated exhaust. We bought the coach in 2013 and it only had about 12,500 miles. We traded it in 4 years later with about 35,000 miles. During that time, it was in the shop 4 times during trips. The EGR was cleaned once and replaced once. The crankshaft position sensor was replaced twice. The turbo actuator was cleaned once, replaced another time, and then the whole turbo was replaced once. The intake manifold had to be cleaned once. The crankshaft position sensor may have been just bad luck but the rest was directly due to the diesel emission controls. I asked at the Cummins Service Center if this was typical of the newer diesel engines or did I just get a lemon. The manager confided to me that this was typical of the early diesel emission controls which were on the 2008 thru 2010(?) pre-DEF engines. I will add that in our use most of the engine run time was at highway speed. We rarely idled the engine for any period of time unless we got caught in a traffic jam while on the road.
------ Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:15 AM   #23

Clarifications:

1) 2007 KSDP does NOT have comfort Drive. 2008 KSDP does.
2) The knob is wiper speed. I have a 2008 KSDP w/ CD and it does NOT have a knob. That's because it's the 1st generation of CD -- which didn't have a knob. The knob appeared in 2009.
3) Our 2008 KSDP has the 360 HP ISC 8.7 engine. No engine or emission problems and have 70,000 miles on it now.
4) Ours has an engine brake with three settings: High, Off, Low.
5) We have a 2008 MY 3623 model. It has Vinyl floor from the front to the bedroom. The bathroom is also Vinyl. HOWEVER -- there is carpet at the edge of the main slide, under the couch, and under the desk. We have two long runner rugs we place on the Vinyl floor in the main cabin. They have non-slip rubber bottoms so they don't slip. We vacuum them and take them out and shake them. And when they get too scummy -- we'll just replace them. We don't have dogs, but we do have two large cats.
6) I have IFS and CD. I like both. I've never driven one of the non CD Newmars, but I sure like the CD on ours.
7) In my opinion the side-mounted radiator is a real money saver. When I had the engine belts changed last year, the mechanic said he'd done the same thing on a rear-mounted radiatorDP the day before. He said it took him 1.75 hours to get the fan shroud out of the way so he could get to the belts -- and then another 1.75 hours. to put the shroud back when the belts were done. So having the side-mounted radiator, I saved $437.50 in labor on that one job! And after watching him, I'm confident I can change the belts myself next time.

When I was looking, it came down to a 2007 3624 and the 2008 3623 we bought. The 2007 was considerably cheaper and had lower mileage. But it wasn't as well maintained, didn't have CD, we didn't like the floor plan as well (except for the King Bed), and it was at a dealer who didn't know it at all -- and who hadn't even inspected it for problems in 4 months of listing it. So the choice turned out to be easy. And I'm so glad we went with the one we did.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
It was a 2008 ISB 340HP Cummins. The check engine light (amber) would come on and the components involved were the EGR, intake manifold, the turbo, and the crankshaft position sensor. Most of the problem was soot build-up due to the recirculated exhaust. We bought the coach in 2013 and it only had about 12,500 miles. We traded it in 4 years later with about 35,000 miles. During that time, it was in the shop 4 times during trips. The EGR was cleaned once and replaced once. The crankshaft position sensor was replaced twice. The turbo actuator was cleaned once, replaced another time, and then the whole turbo was replaced once. The intake manifold had to be cleaned once. The crankshaft position sensor may have been just bad luck but the rest was directly due to the diesel emission controls. I asked at the Cummins Service Center if this was typical of the newer diesel engines or did I just get a lemon. The manager confided to me that this was typical of the early diesel emission controls which were on the 2008 thru 2010(?) pre-DEF engines. I will add that in our use most of the engine run time was at highway speed. We rarely idled the engine for any period of time unless we got caught in a traffic jam while on the road.
------ Jim
Great info - I’ll put it to good use. This really helps as Ive decided not ro pursue the 07 3623 (which has an 06 ISL) and avoiding 08-12 or so puts me in a new market. thanks!