RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2006, 08:21 AM   #1

Newmar's website now has the '07 models up.

A few years ago, I aspired to a Dutch Star. But it looks more and more as if the Kountry Star is now pretty much what the Dutch Star used to be -- good value for the money, without a ton of glitz. Am I reading that wrong?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2006, 08:21 AM   #2

Newmar's website now has the '07 models up.

A few years ago, I aspired to a Dutch Star. But it looks more and more as if the Kountry Star is now pretty much what the Dutch Star used to be -- good value for the money, without a ton of glitz. Am I reading that wrong?

Old 05-13-2006, 10:48 AM   #3

No, I think your take is about right. The DSDP with the addition of the tag axle model and much more standard upgrades appears to be taking the MADP's market space while the MADP move up to a much larger chassis and option list, including a 45' model. The KSDP now is equipped similar to the earlier DSDP's. The KSDP is a nice well built and equipped coach.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:50 PM   #4

What market demographic is Newmar aspiring to? I know models get upgrades all the time. Are they going to try and compete with Country Coach as far as price is concerned? It amazes me that the new MADP has jumped almost $70K in base price from the '06 to '07 model.

Model improvements are something that can be expected so that the interest in the model line is maintained. How much interest can a $70K jump in price conjure up? Could it be priced out of reach of some that could have afforded it with a modest increase?

Too much bobble for too much buck in my opinion. We all can't be rock stars or pro golfers. It would be nice to be able to trade for the same model year after year like some folks do with cars. But once the price becomes prohibitive, then the manufacturer loses some market share as I see it.

Oh well. I got what I want and won't be getting another one for a very long time. It just makes my model year look less than what it is. Thanks Newmar.

'06 Jeep Liberty Limited
dlhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

A lot of the 60-70K jump was as a result of the 2007 MADP now being on the Spartan K2 chassis and the addition of some options as standard equipment....TRW Comfort Drive and some other things....

You have a VERY nice coach....My best buddy just bought that same coach last week.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:58 AM   #6

The upgrades to the MADP put it on a much higher plain than previous MA models . Like Emeril would say, "Bamm, kick it up a notch!"
The K2 foundation with the new electronic TRW Confort Steering and other significant enhancements are great and will, no doubt, be a winner in the market place .

Thanks for the kudos, rebelsbeach. I know your friend will like it very much.

The DW & I are glad we were able to get this coach. I kinda wish mine was numbered like: 1 of 101 or somethiing like that . Like limited edition prints of a beautiful painting. We are very pleased with it so far. We've had no glitches except for a Spartan recall.

How many '06 43' MADP's did Newmar build? Where can I find such info ?

'06 Jeep Liberty Limited
dlhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:49 PM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Heard from my buddy Jeff today,he was supposed to be in Myrtle Beach but he couldn't stand it...He rode up to Wilmington, NC and did his "test drive" before delivery on Tuesday.
He said Howard RV had an '07 4520 MADP with all the bells and whistles and it sure was nice,the dash is supposedly different and some other things....He was trying to "sell" me on it,but he knows I've got something "else" up my sleeve.....

had 4304 on the brain,that's JEFF'S!!....the rig he saw was a 4520....LOL
Old 05-17-2006, 01:52 PM   #8

That '07 MADP is a nice rig and it comes with that new fang dangled Comfort Drive as standard.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:10 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lug_Nut:
That '07 MADP is a nice rig and it comes with that new fang dangled Comfort Drive as standard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah...but the Essex is the cat's meow!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 04:38 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yeah...but the Essex is the cat's meow!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And then, there are us dog lovers who are still waiting on factual info on the 07 GAS products, Workhorse based, of course!! ED
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:59 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
For those of you that admire the Essex coach, I know where you can see a bunch of them.

About a month ago, friends of ours met us at Pelican Lake Motorcoach resort near Marco Island/Naples, FL area for a weekend. The place is very "exclusive" and we pretended that we could actually afford to be there ( resale lots average $300k). Anyhow, even though the place is largely deserted during the off season ( read hot season), I counted 12 Essex's parked around the resort.

They sure do look good!

Did I mention there were a bunch of Prevo's also?

The picture below was taken during our stay at Pelican Lake.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:23 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The picture below was taken during our stay at Pelican Lake. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
TERRY: I think I asked this once or twice before, but when you get your Essex, can have that "OLD" DSDP? ED
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:37 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ed,
If the day comes that we could afford a new Essex, we might consider giving the DSDP to ya.

But I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:14 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:

Yeah...but the Essex is the cat's meow!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, Bob. The Essex doesn't come with a Cat. It comes with the tree stump pulling Cummins 500 ISM. But then, you already know that.

I noticed on your signature picture that your Vectra fits nicely on your driveway. It looks like you've got a couple of extra feet to spare, eh?

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote