Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2007, 03:33 PM   #1

Like JavaJelly I am considering upgrading to a new coach. However,in my case,a 43' DSDP w/tag. After driving the '08 w/ the CD system I realize how improved the drivability is on coaches with the CD. I like the idea of the improved ride also which the tag provides. I'm looking at the 4320 floor plan. I'm not planning,at this point,to include the built in GPS as I already have a Garmin 7200. But, is the "triptronic" worth the price? I'm gonna try to get the tire pressure monitoring installed at the factory.Will that require the triptronic? The published option list has just about everything that I think we'll need. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is only in the preliminary stages. The dealer will call back tomorrow with the initial price.

'04 KSDP 3904
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2007, 03:33 PM   #2

Like JavaJelly I am considering upgrading to a new coach. However,in my case,a 43' DSDP w/tag. After driving the '08 w/ the CD system I realize how improved the drivability is on coaches with the CD. I like the idea of the improved ride also which the tag provides. I'm looking at the 4320 floor plan. I'm not planning,at this point,to include the built in GPS as I already have a Garmin 7200. But, is the "triptronic" worth the price? I'm gonna try to get the tire pressure monitoring installed at the factory.Will that require the triptronic? The published option list has just about everything that I think we'll need. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is only in the preliminary stages. The dealer will call back tomorrow with the initial price.

'04 KSDP 3904
Old 09-11-2007, 03:58 PM   #3

A Smartire TPM system (this is a Spartan OEM option, not a Newmar option) does not need the TripTek to operate as it can have its own display - actually my preference as the tire monitor status and individual tire status are always displayed on the Smartire display and not on the Triptek. In many ways, the Triptek is a bit of a gimmick and an expensive one at that. I have it and do like the day/leg/trip screens for logging miles, time, fuel, etc. The maintenance portion is a bit crude with reminders for engine and genset maintenance like oil changes.

I would suggest finding someone with a Triptek and playing with in order to determine if there is value to you.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Bill, you could certainly mount a jotto desk next to your seat and integrate a lap top on the stand to display Silverleaf software with it's pretty colors and so forth...

The other option of course is the in dash mounted Triptek, which I've had in three coaches now and gotten used to it...
I would agree that the separate tire monitor screen supplied by SmartTire would be a nice option...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #5

I just got a 08 dsdp....special order. I DID NOT GET TRIP TEK. I think it is a joke. I also installed smart tire. I wish I had known the factory could of installed it...
Old 09-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #6

RVDude,rebelsbeach,clnhse...thanks for the input. Other than fuel use, the Garmin 7200 will supply just about any of the trip info mentioned. I think I'll safe a few duckets and skip the TripTek. I will most definately check into having Spartan do the install for the tire monoitoring system. Also, I've always had an aversion to the all electric option. Too many house batteries to maintain. I don't mind LP. Does the all elec. coach mean only two burners for the cooktop. How do you guys see it?
Old 09-12-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
cwg

We chose all electric this time to see how it would fit in with someone who seldom boondocks. The two electric eye burners have presented no problem so far, but admittedly, we are many times in the same chow line as Rebelsbeach, Jetsmania, and Lane when we are in Florida, eating out more often than not. John is actually a gourmet cook and likes his all electric MA.

A friend cracked up Bob last year when he said going boondocking in a high line coach is a little like going slumming in a Armani suit.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:57 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cwg:
A friend cracked up Bob last year when he said going boondocking in a high line coach is a little like going slumming in a Armani suit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I almost forgot that most excellent comment! My Armani is quite dusty...
Old 09-13-2007, 03:32 PM   #9

Well...I sat down with a dealer today. Nixed the triptek option but was insistent about having the tire pressure system installed by Spartan and not the dealer. Opted for the aux. heater in the bedroom as I'm not opting for the floor heating system. 7K for floor heat is too much IMHO! I'll find out next week what the dealer wants to sell it for. We'll see!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Bill, CONGRATS on taking that first step toward the possibility of ordering your coach...

We ALL must take the information learned here on the forums and apply what we learn to make the decisions for our purchase.

It'd certainly be a BORING world if all we did was stop in at the dealer and pick up one of them cookie cutter coaches, wouldn't it?

I can honestly say that I've not missed the third burner in my two burner cooktop configuration....Of course, the fact that the stickers are still on the cooktop might have something to do with that!!
Old 09-14-2007, 03:21 AM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can honestly say that I've not missed the third burner in my two burner cooktop configuration....Of course, the fact that the stickers are still on the cooktop might have something to do with that!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob's favorite thing to make for dinner is......reservations!

......and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:39 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Keep my spot for me Dirk, I'll see ya on the 2nd or 3rd in Nappanee....
Old 09-14-2007, 08:31 AM   #13

Thanks guys...fortunately DW is an excellent cook and likes her three burner set up.
I got to thinking today about what might be in store for the '09 models,besides a price increase, and if I should wait for the '08's to be "left over"? I'm sure that by waiting it will preclude getting the coach as I want it vs. whats on a lot somewhere. I always manage to complicate a situation! When do the '09 models start to come into the picture?
Old 09-14-2007, 09:26 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Around March/April each year new models are available.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote