Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #1

08 King Aire new to us.

Seeking some advise on our 08 KADP 4561. We just drove it home from the dealer and below is a list of issues we're experiencing I hope it us and not the coach. Any clarification from all you experienced Newmar and in particular KADP owners would be greatly appreciated.

1. EPLEX system:
a. Intermittently unresponsive to touch
b. Noticed that furnace mode takes at least 30 min. for heat to reach the registers in the coach. Also had to go down to the Oasis and hit the power button even though we used it the day before.
c. Once we got the furnace kicking it took a good 4-5 hours for the coach to reach 72 from 35 degrees. Is that normal?

2. Radiant Floor Heat in LR shows GFI Fault. Any ideas what might be causing this? I reset all the GFI receptacles I could find with no help.

Thanks,
Ben and Ellie
Benellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
a. We never really had that problem, usually we have the opposite where the Eplex thinks we hit a button we didn't hit. I've mostly solved that on the keypads it usually happened by flicking the pad with a fingernail rather than the end of my finger.

b. The time for heat to reach the registers is not normal at all, except we've never had our coach to 35 degrees. I assume this is on the road with no electric hookups? If you have hookups, you want the boiler and both electric elements on at the same time.

c. If it's really cold out, and windy, the warm up time might not be unreasonable. It's a big coach, and there's a lot of mass to heat up.

You need to see if the records indicate when the Oasis was serviced last. It's possible the burner injector is dirty and it's not putting out as much heat as it should. Or the filter is clogged. When it didn't start, was the fault light on (on the main unit)? Or was there a message on the bedroom display?

2. The floor heat doesn't use a GFI receptacle. It has it's own breaker, and it's not GFI. Where did you see this message? On the little control panel for the floor heat? I've never seen a message on there. If I had to guess, I'd say it's detecting a ground leak in the heat wiring itself. I have no idea how that would happen, or how to fix it.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #3

c. If it's really cold out, and windy, the warm up time might not be unreasonable. It's a big coach, and there's a lot of mass to heat up.

You need to see if the records indicate when the Oasis was serviced last. It's possible the burner injector is dirty and it's not putting out as much heat as it should. Or the filter is clogged. When it didn't start, was the fault light on (on the main unit)? Or was there a message on the bedroom display?

2. The floor heat doesn't use a GFI receptacle. It has it's own breaker, and it's not GFI. Where did you see this message? On the little control panel for the floor heat? I've never seen a message on there. If I had to guess, I'd say it's detecting a ground leak in the heat wiring itself. I have no idea how that would happen, or how to fix it.[/QUOTE]

The dealer was supposed to have serviced it. There were no fault lights on the Oasis it had no lights on so I hit the power button and that did it. We were using it the day before on our way home. When we arrived at home we shut the coach down for the night. The next day after starting it I had to go to the Oasis to get it started.

As far as the floor heat, I'll take a picture of the thermostat and post it here.

Thanks,
Old 12-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
When you shut the coach down, did you turn off the 12v totally? We never do that, even when we're leaving the coach for an extended time. But we never leave it with no shore power either. So I don't know if that's normal for the Oasis to need to be powered on if the 12v was totally off.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #5

Yes I did shut the 12V down because I don't have a 50amp plug in. should I just run an extension cord and run 120v to it when shut down and what will 120v do?
Old 12-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benellie View Post
Yes I did shut the 12V down because I don't have a 50amp plug in. should I just run an extension cord and run 120v to it when shut down and what will 120v do?
Depends on how long it's going to be until you use the coach again. We're full-timers, so we're in it most of the time, and when we're not the fridge and freezer are still full. So we need to leave the 12v system on all the time, so the inverter has power. If it's cold out, even a 15 or 20amp line would be enough power to keep the Oasis running (on diesel) so the coach doesn't get really cold.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #7

So if I just plug into 120v and leave the 12v switch on is that ok in below freezing temps without winterizing?
Old 12-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benellie View Post
So if I just plug into 120v and leave the 12v switch on is that ok in below freezing temps without winterizing?
It's OK as far as the electrical system is concerned. If you want to keep the water compartments safe, you're going to need to make sure your furnace is working properly and you have enough diesel for the furnace to run. Or you're plugged into at least a 30 amp circuit to run the two electric elements. At least, I think you'll need 30amp, I haven't done the calculations to be sure.

Someone who's actually familiar with winter storage conditions should answer this. We don't do cold.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #9

Thanks again. I'm sure this won't be the last time I'm going to need help with this coach.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:21 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Benellie anytime you have the means to supply 120 power to coach not what Newmar you have do it or you may wind up in situations such as this.
Your coach has a large battery bank and keeping the batteries happy would be one of my concerns.
There is some information in QT's 1 & 2 on E-PLEX and maybe in the new QT's #3 that may help.
Safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote