Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
08 madp sliding door

Quick question, I'm the second owner of the coach and the sliding door between the bathroom and bedroom looks like the previous owner did some modifications. Does anyone know how the bottom of the door is supposed to be attached so it doesn't swing back and forth? I thought there might have been a track but when I went on to COMNET there isn't any listing. Any thoughts would be helpful.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most doors I have found are on a square D track and the rollers track within the track.
The door has a screw stop that goes thru the middle of track near the pocket door entrance that when the pocket inner edge of the door hits this screw the door stops.
The rollers have a plastic lock that holds the rollers in the track.
The inner edge of the door has Velcro strips on door and the wall that when new sometimes has people leary in pulling to hard on door afraid of causing more of a problem, it just needs a steady pull to release the Velcro strips. The more the door is used the Velcro will be easier to release.
Someone had a picture of the door tracks and the plastic release that I will try to find.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:40 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
007 - Does it matter that it's not a pocket door? It's a sliding door that is open to the bedroom side. I'll try to post some pictures later today so everyone has a visual. As always thanks for the quick reply.
NHSO
Old 04-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #4

Is the door a two piece unit, where one half overlaps the other when closed?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, it's an overlapping door that's exposed (when closed) on the bedroom side.
NHSO
Old 04-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #6

OK, it sounds like your configuration is like mine. The door consists of two panels. From the bathroom side, the first door slides left until it hits a stop in the second door, and then the two doors slide left together behind the bedroom wall. Check the bottom of your doors for a groove or slot. This serves as a slide guide for the bottom of the door.
If someone removed the hardware from the bottom of the door, the doors would not be secured at the bottom, and would swing free from the top roller assemblies, like a pendulum. This sounds like the situation you are describing.
In addition, if the hardware was missing, the doors would not slide properly. You would have to open/close each panel separately, because the "stop" I described above, which enables the first panel to push/pull on the second panel, is activated by the hardware on the bottom of the door.
It is not the best design, and I have removed the bottom hardware on two occasions to adjust it to improve door operation. It is likely that the prior owner had the doors jam and removed the hardware so he could open and close the doors.
Confirm that you have the grooves on the bottom of the doors, and I can send you some pictures of the hardware installed. You probably are going to have to fabricate something or get the part from Newmar. You might be able to find something at a hardware store that has a good selection of sliding door parts.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
**UPDATE**
I called Newmar and they were very helpful. They figured out it was just like Palmetto said. All the hardware was removed and a wooden block put in it's place. I was able to order the bottom track from Newmar. Now for the good part...I figured out that Johnson Hardware, Johnson HardwareŽ SLIDING, FOLDING AND POCKET DOOR HARDWARE is the manufacturer and they sell parts on line. Now I just have to get the parts and pieces and fix it right.
NHSO
Old 04-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'll add this info here maybe of some help.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door