RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #1

I bought my Ventana in MD, but I live in VA. I finally got my VA plates and registration, and since I was off today, I drove to the nearest RV place, Reines in Manassas, VA to get the inspection.

They were pretty busy, and in VA, you have to wait in line for an inspection. After an hour, I pull in.

The guy doing the inspections asks if I have a fog light switch. I said yes. He had me turn it on and off. He said I'll fail the inspection.

The dainbramaged people in VA have decided that your fog lights cannot come on unless the headlights are on!

So, I have to have Beckley's RV where I bought it install a relay to prevent the fog lights from coming on unless the headlights are on.

Newmar will be hearing from me, too. I really didn't have time to waste an entire morning doing this.

69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #2

I bought my Ventana in MD, but I live in VA. I finally got my VA plates and registration, and since I was off today, I drove to the nearest RV place, Reines in Manassas, VA to get the inspection.

They were pretty busy, and in VA, you have to wait in line for an inspection. After an hour, I pull in.

The guy doing the inspections asks if I have a fog light switch. I said yes. He had me turn it on and off. He said I'll fail the inspection.

The dainbramaged people in VA have decided that your fog lights cannot come on unless the headlights are on!

So, I have to have Beckley's RV where I bought it install a relay to prevent the fog lights from coming on unless the headlights are on.

Newmar will be hearing from me, too. I really didn't have time to waste an entire morning doing this.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #3

Don't ya just love the VA inspection ordeal? I especially like the very finicky VA "safety" rules! I feel your pain!

Guess I've been lucky with my VA declared unsafe fog lights. Passed every time in the past. I wonder if this is a new VA rule? Or maybe after a lifetime in the state I found the right inspection guy?

Frankly, it's hard to make this entirely Newmar's fault. After all, both of us bought our rigs in another state where it may be legal. In fact, given the 102 inch width of our rigs, they are actually still illegal (off interstates) in a few states. Back to the foggy fog lights, I do wonder if Newmar might have a plug-in wiring harness fix? I'll bet they can make us one.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Normally, you cannot turn the fog lights on unless the parking lights are on. (or the headlights)

My DSDP and my GMC work this way, and I believe that is the requirement.

To require the headlights to be on, defeats the purpose of the fog lights, although the fog lights on my DSDP are not very effective.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Roadrunner, you have daytime running lights, so you will not be driving anywhere without your headlights on, so I can't understand what the problem is.

My parking lights have to be on before the fog lights will work, but daytime running lights should make a moot point with the headlight requirement. That's probably what RVDude's inspection guy realizes and he passes inspection accordingly.

Go figure.
ricere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
On all of my vehicles that have factory fog lights (3 such vehicles), the fog lights (when turned on) come on with the parking lights, remain on when the low beams of the headlights are on and go off when the high beams are engaged. I believe this is in conformance with the FMVSS 108 lighting standards promulgated by NHTSA.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RVDude:

Guess I've been lucky with my VA declared unsafe fog lights. Passed every time in the past. I wonder if this is a new VA rule? Or maybe after a lifetime in the state I found the right inspection guy?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where do you get yours inspected?
Old 08-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #8

We also have 3 vehicles that have fog lights, and all of them require you to put the headlights on to turn the fog lights on.

I get the feeling it's something that all manufacturers are supposed to do.

I had a 92 Olds Achieva with fog lights. One was cracked. When I moved to VA, they failed it even though fog lights are optional. If they're optional, why are they required to work?
Old 08-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If they're optional, why are they required to work? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sounds like, if equipped, they are required to work.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If they're optional, why are they required to work? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You seem to be expecting common sense from government. Never happens.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:14 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Roadrunner,

The man that failed your inspection could not possibly know what he was doing. My car (Chevrolet) has fog lights and they work with no headlights or parking lights on and I purchased it from a dealer here in VA and have had it inspected once.

My truck (Ford) has fog lights and they work without headlights or parking lights on, and I purchased it here in VA and it has passed inspection every time with no problems.

My coach operates the same.

The only stipulation is the fog lights cannot work with the headlights on "bright", and all my vehicles are wired that way. That is the only stipulation regarding the workings of fog lights.

They must be mounted a certain way and aimed a certain way, but all vehicles where fog lights are installed from the factory conform to that standard.

Take your coach to another dealer to get it inspected. It is wired like it is supposed to be.
ricere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:23 AM   #12

beep-beep go back to the inspection guy and make sure the coach is running/park-brake-off when he/she does the fog light test. Ricere has it - the running lights (i.e. headlights) are ALWAYS on when the parking-brake is released. Hence, your headlights are on when the fog lights are on. If they still object ask them to call a state trooper. If requested, the inspector has to call the trooper.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:09 AM   #13

I didn't have a chance to run the lights in all the situations. I think this inspector was thinking he was really smart and knew everything. I think he wants to generate more work for the shop, too.

I'm not going to be able to try another inspection until after I get some warranty work addressed 8/18. I keep the MH at a storage lot. I will be going by there tomorrow to get some stuff I need for my trip to the Mopar Nationals. I'll check the lights then.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:43 AM   #14
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I think that most "fog" lights today are not really "fog" lights but are made to fill in the ground in front of the vehicle due to poor low beam headlight illumination.
True fog lights should be on by themselves (with rear running lights)to avoid any glare back into the drivers eyes. Low beam lights will do this.
On one European car, I even had rear fog lights - brighter red - so I could be seen easier from the rear in poor visability.