Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2017, 08:14 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs down 1 1/2 months into ownership - stain coming off?

Either I missed this in FPU, doubtful as I looked over everything with a microscope, or it could be different lighting but I just noticed the stain appears to be having issues so far only in the crown molding. Warranty item of course but I'm posting for all other new owners to keep this in your FPU/PDI review.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3641.png
Views:	378
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	170201  
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sometimes it seems like different sections of our woodwork are absorbing and/or curing the stain unevenly/ differently as time goes on. We see a few inconsistencies in shine, color, and/or texture that look, to my eye, similar to what you posted. We also did not notice these on PDI.

HTH -
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:36 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
It's real wood. That is to be expected.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
NO, this looks ugly, something is not right! Bad preparation before stain ?
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #5

It is difficult to see from a photo but this may or may not be a real problem. The wood appears to be cherry. Cherry ages and will ripen (or darken) over time. It is UV light that does this. Different grains and parts of the tree will age differently. Blonde wood in cherry doesn't age the same, neither do strong grain boundaries. I don't think there is a stain on this wood, I think it is a clear coat of something. That could be flaking off but I'm not sure. I would really need to see it in person.

I build cabinets and know a fair amount about wood. In cherry kitchens and furniture it is unusual to see blonde wood including in the piece. Most customers will reject doors and drawers with blonde running in them. Why cabinet companies still release them that way is beyond me . . . I guess some people don't mind it. Our coach is solid cherry and in several places there is blonde running in the wood. I was amazed that Newmar would build it this way or that who ever bought our coach new accepted it with these pieces of wood. I would have asked Newmar to replace these pieces of wood and cabinets at pick up.

So it is good that Neil alerted everyone to this and it should at least be added to the PDI list. You could also run your hand over the surface of the wood. If you feel anything other than a glass texture there could be a problem. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #6

Jager is absolutely right with regards to cherry . . . If Newmar tells him this is "acceptable", especially if it has degraded rather than being like this from day one then my opinion of Newmar (been seriously looking at them) will trend distinctly downward. Sorry but one of the things Newmar really "hangs their hat" on is the superior quality of their cabinetry/trim . . . if you advertise a high standard it is important that you meet it. Hoping Newmar steps up on this!
Old 07-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #7

Boomertx - Please understand I wasn't saying Newmar wasn't doing right by their reputation. I was explaining how real cherry wood works. Some people don't know this. It could just be the nature of the wood. I would suggest people "not accept" cherry wood with blonde in it as it will certainly age differently. Down the road people get upset that it all doesn't look the same . . . it won't and that isn't Newmar's fault.

However Newmar could have received and used a bad batch of varnish. Maybe it is causing problems. I'm pretty sure they will stand behind their product. I have no reason to believe they won't.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #8

Jager, I think we are on parallel, non converging paths here . . . I absolutely AGREE with what you are saying but to have the wood "age" this quickly, 1.5 months per OP, tells me there is something "odd" going on. I'd love to see a larger pic but what I can see is unsightly at best. I also believe Newmar should and probably will step but wood "quality" issues can be a thorny subject.

Have a great day!!!!
Old 07-26-2017, 11:24 AM   #9

Sorry, I should have mentioned this too . . . The aging effects in Cherry are front end loaded. That is to say you will see the greatest change early in life. The amount of color change (deepening or richer color) will decrease over time. The color change will saturate over time. This is also directly proportional to the amount of UV light that hits it also. Also, cherry isn't the ONLY wood that does this . . . but it is the most dramatic change. As I mentioned, most builders (and customer) will reject certain cherry cabinets, doors, drawers, etc . . . that have any blonde in them.

A piece of real cherry in direct sunlight will age a pretty good amount ion 6 weeks. Again, that may or may not be what Neil's problem is. I'm not sure. It could also be poor varnish or a bad batch. Not really sure.

Yes, wood issues are thorny . . . been there, done that too. I would allow Newmar the opportunity to inspect it and make it right. That is all I'm saying. Compared to other brands of RVs I've owned . . . they are way, WAY better at support after the sale.

And you have a great day too!
Old 07-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #10
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Jager is spot on about cherry. Built a few pieces in cherry. The "blond", at least where I come from is called sap wood. Different mosture/sap in this part. You can stain it and it looks good for about a month or two depending on how much sun it gets.

Some folks let cherry "age" in sunlight for up to a year before staining. My guess is that Newmar uses wood thats just off green (new out of the kiln).

Each piece of wood takes stain differently. A craftsman knows how to match wood with simular staining properties. In my experience cherry is one of the harder to do this with.

I would have Newmar replace (you sound like that is what you are planning). If you can have someone who knows wood working look at what they install they may be able to tell you if the stain will stay uniform.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725 - we've got stain bleemishes too
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:48 AM   #11

From the photo you can't really tell how bad it is or if it is just where the grain shows variation. But like said it is real wood, and real wood will soak up stain in different variations. That doesn't look bad to me, and I would worry more about the fix making things worse. Some things just aren't worth messing with.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:52 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
It is bad, and if needed Newmar should treat their wood long before it goes in any coach otherwise we'll all be returning for fixes and that's not an option. It sounds like it's not common. I posted this pic to make people aware and look at the wood in good lighting during their inspections. It is unacceptable and something fortunately that could be fixed by a dealer vs. having to return to the factory for repair.

FYI - if you click the image posted you'll get a larger version of it.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #13

Neal, if you don't mind telling what selection of cabinets/wood did you make when ordering your CS? Seems the same std selections are available on the Bay Star unless you did a special on the cabinets. Thanks.

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:45 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Maple I think it's called Ventana 4037. I'm sure this situation is rare and I wouldn't worry - just check the wood over in good lighting.