Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #1

10% grade on Teton Pass: Thoughts?

We're in Jackson, WY and will be heading towards Yosemite via Idaho Falls, ID. My Garmin RV GPS and RV Trip Wizard are both recommending that we take Wyoming Highway 22 northwest through the Teton Pass. The road is clearly marked with a 60,000 weight limit (no problem) and says that it has at least one 10% grade. On the map, it also seems like it has quite a few twists and turns. But...both devices/programs are giving the go-ahead for RVs of my length, height and weight.

Thoughts? Any of you done 10% grades? Perhaps this particular highway?

Appreciate the input. I've attached a map of the route.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hwy22.PNG
Views:	283
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	209601  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2018, 05:05 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did it once with a 26' Type C MH towing a '95 Honda Odyssy on a dolly with surge brakes. Slow going up and lots of hot brakes on the dolly. Take it easy and you should be OK.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Just did it with a 40' dp and a 3,800# toad, wife said "I know a shortcut!" (Grrrr...), and I will not do it again ina MH. The 350 hp Cat got us up in 2nd gear, but the Allison was in 2nd going down, exhaust brake on, and still made frequent use of the service brakes. If everything goes right, it's very doable in a rig like mine. But if something goes wrong....it ain't worth the chance with MY family. There are other routes and who's in such a big hurry. It ain't that pretty.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
All I can say is it’s great on a motorcycle, but I would avoid it with a big motorhome...
RROLDSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:21 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is what it looks like on Flattest Route
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 6.18.34 PM.png
Views:	403
Size:	955.1 KB
ID:	209606  
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:34 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGriffin View Post
We're in Jackson, WY and will be heading towards Yosemite via Idaho Falls, ID. My Garmin RV GPS and RV Trip Wizard are both recommending that we take Wyoming Highway 22 northwest through the Teton Pass. The road is clearly marked with a 60,000 weight limit (no problem) and says that it has at least one 10% grade. On the map, it also seems like it has quite a few twists and turns. But...both devices/programs are giving the go-ahead for RVs of my length, height and weight.

Done it twice, both ways. No big deal. Slow going up (you won’t have much choice) and use hi Jake going down. Good news is that it’s a relatively short trip.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:56 PM   #7

If you’re at all inclined towards overheating with your configuration I wouldn’t recommend it. The pull coming out of Jackson is steep, and long enough to test your transmission and engine cooling systems pretty hard. As far as the road itself, it’s nothing I would be concerned with other than it staying steep long enough to give the hardware quite the workout.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:16 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did it West to East into Jackson Hole with my 2004 DSDP. I wouldn’t want to go the other way even with my 2014 DSDP. Good luck, Safe Travels
LongRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:25 PM   #9

We've run the Alaska Highway 15 times (yeah, an odd number as we're in Valdez right now) and they too have some long, eye watering grades 10% and more. We're usually pulling the full size pickup at about 8200 pounds. Going up is slow, and you only have to watch your temp gauge. If it starts to get too high, slow down and downshift. Going down, go slow, use your Jake or engine brake and there shouldn't be a problem. We seldom touch the service brakes while descending. If you have a surge brake on you tow or dolly read and follow their instructions. Speed is your enemy. Just go slow. On the Tiffin for a climb, I put the accelerator on the floor, and let the Bus systems do their thing. Going down I go slow and let the retarder take care of it. Never have to upshift or downshift. Tiffin got it right with the Cummins, Allison and Powerglide chassis combination. Just superb.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGriffin View Post

You should be fine with your equipment. You have an ISL with compression (jake) brake. The grade is (westbound) 10% for 3 miles, then 7% for 3.5 miles. I've descended 3 miles of 17% on hwy 99 westbound in Canada, and I only have the exhaust brake which isn't as effective as the compression brake.

How you start down the grade is what's important. Never start down fast expecting to slow down later, it doesn't work. You start down at a speed you can maintain. With your equipment I would start down in 3rd gear with Jake on high and keep RPM's up around 2000. The higher you keep the RPM's the more braking force the Jake gives. If you can't maintain your speed in 3rd gear then brake and downshift to 2nd gear.

If you don't feel comfortable taking this route you can take US26 south from Jackson through Alpine. It will add about 19 miles to the trip.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #11

Oh man I love this forum! I learn so much. Thanks for introducing me to Flattest Route. Never heard of it before.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:34 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Not a big deal, you can handle it. Just use caution and it's a great learning experience too. It's part of the experience, no reason to avoid it. You're fine in your rig.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
If you are uneasy with that route take the road to Alpine, WY and then Idaho Falls. It will take you 25 minutes longer, is flatter, and is a beautiful drive.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:40 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
If you are uneasy with that route take the road to Alpine, WY and then Idaho Falls. It will take you 25 minutes longer, is flatter, and is a beautiful drive.
I agree! We drove 22 both ways from Jackson to Idaho and back in our car last month. OK in a car, but if I had a choice, I would not drive our motorhome on 22. Unnecessary stress on you and your motorhome.