Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2015, 06:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
We don't dry camp, but here's a question. Since the gray tank contains mostly soapy water, what's to keep someone from emptying part or all of the contents onto the ground?
Grey water can be pretty stinky and probably not conducive to making friends. I'm not all that into making friends of our camping neighbors but still wouldn't want to do anything that would make their stay or ours less than pleasant.

There is a difference between dumping a dish pan full of fresh water & a little soap and yucky water that has been sitting in your tank for a few days. Why not just wash your dishes outside and dump the water when finished?
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 06:57 AM   #16

On another note... do you know how long it takes to drain 105 gallons of water from the low point drain? Geesh. It took forever. I attached a hose to a water bottle with the end removed so that I could direct the water down the drive. That worked out pretty well for the HOURS it took to drain!

I refilled the fresh tank and honestly, it doesn't smell chlorine-ish at all. I may still drain it again though and refill before we leave. Our plans have changed and we're on hold for a bit due to family. My SIL is terminal with liver cancer which has spread into her abdominal cavity. She's gone from feeling great and out and about to bed ridden with Hospice care in just a few weeks. This has hit us all really hard and it's nearly impossible to wrap our heads around her situation. The coach is loaded and ready to roll since she was told about 3 weeks ago that she would have 6 months+ but at her last doc appt. about a week ago was told days to a couple of weeks.

Cancer sucks.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:30 AM   #17

Dumping Grey Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
What I often use is an old piece of green water hose that I connect to a aftermarket locking cover that has treads to connect the hose to, I slightly open the grey water valve and I just lay it down on the grass toward the back of the coach.
p.s. it's just like the tent trailers or tent campers do, throwing their used dish water around their campsite.
Just don't get caught! You may be into the $1,000's for fines and court appearances. If in a watershed or protected area, you will be in for a surprise. We've had campground operators do "spot inspections" of sites where sewer isn't available. I would never want to be the one that got caught! Therefore, we don't do it!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:11 PM   #18
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
What I often use is an old piece of green water hose that I connect to a aftermarket locking cover that has treads to connect the hose to, I slightly open the grey water valve and I just lay it down on the grass toward the back of the coach.
p.s. it's just like the tent trailers or tent campers do, throwing their used dish water around their campsite.

Not cool!

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:18 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi KarenS144,
To answer your question about tank size, you have a 105 gallon fresh water tank. In standard coaches, Newmar has been using the same tank size and design for many years.
Our '02 DSDP had the 105 gallon tank.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Most people don't drink the water from their tanks anyway, unless they have a secondary filtration system. A little residual chlorine will not hurt anything, and probaly will help keep it fresh and healthy.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:49 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
.......Since the gray tank contains mostly soapy water, what's to keep someone from emptying part or all of the contents onto the ground?

Bama: first, Karen's right-- there's a big difference between a dishpan and your gray tank. The gray tank is NOT mostly soapy water. Gray tank is fed by the kitchen sink (rinsing and washing dishes, glasses, cutlery), bathroom sink (hand washing, tooth brushing, spitting, mouthwash, more spitting, shaving), and shower drain (don't even want to go to those details!). Your gray tank is MOSTLY an organic soup, with a little soap in it.

Apart from the law, what's to keep someone from emptying the contents onto the ground? Ethics-- or the lack thereof.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote