Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #1

12 Gal Surburban Water Heater

I need to replace the electric element in my 10 Gal Suburban Gas/Electric hot water heater. Looking closely, I see a lot of rust and I just know this will be a can of worms that I don't need. So, I am going to replace the water heater assembly and be done with it. Looking at new ones, I see there is a 12 gal that is supposed to fit in the same opening.
Has anyone gone this route and if so, how did it go?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2015, 05:34 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Supposed to only be longer and "IF" you have the space "BEHIND" your current one then it will fit.
They also have an even longer one to the 12gal with same opening size.
I have not replaced ours but here is food for thought.

That being said ours is a 1999. I have removed/reinstalled the element by first removing the gas firing/mixing tube for clearance (yes mine had some minor rust but all that was required was removing the nut on the bottom of the tube, wire brushed her up, good as new.)

The heating element is Suburban #520789 and was $36in 2012. (I simply wanted to have a spare and see what the original one looked like) Some will say its the same as a residential one. The special removal wrench is universal can be purchased at any big box hardware store ($13-15) and doesn't take much torque to remove by design. The ohms for an acceptable element per Suburban is 10 +/-1 ohms.

What helped us the most was replacing the standard 120degree thermostat with a Suburban 140degree for the electric side. Part# 232317 $36in 2014.

With the correct removal wrench the element can be changed (along with removing the gas mixing tube) in appx 20min. The T-stat in 5min.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Looking at new ones, I see there is a 12 gal that is supposed to fit in the same opening.
Has anyone gone this route and if so, how did it go?
Yep. I replaced my 10 gal with a 12 gal. The 12 gal is about 2 inches longer & the 16 gallon is about 5 inches longer. Otherwise, the dimensions are the same.

If you have the room, go for as big as you can.

Here are the Suburban specs.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Yep. I replaced my 10 gal with a 12 gal. The 12 gal is about 2 inches longer & the 16 gallon is about 5 inches longer. Otherwise, the dimensions are the same.

If you have the room, go for as big as you can.

Here are the Suburban specs.
Thanks for that. I always say, "Go big or Go home"
mine is so rusty I just know it's going to give me grief down the road, no sense throwing good money after bad.
So other than length, all the connections are the same and it is a straight swap?
Old 07-17-2015, 06:55 PM   #5

Quote:
So other than length, all the connections are the same and it is a straight swap?
I had a dealer do the install -- but I think all connections are the same. It'll just be longer.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for that. I always say, "Go big or Go home"
mine is so rusty I just know it's going to give me grief down the road, no sense throwing good money after bad.
Dennis,

I put the 16 gallon in mine. All height and width dimensions are the same as your 10 gallon. You just need added depth length. You still use your existing outside cover, so no painting involved. All hook ups are the same.

The 10, 12, and 16 gallon all use the same gas burner and electric heating element. Your only gaining storage capacity. So initially you have more hot water, but the recovery will not be any faster. In fact it would seem that the 10 gallon would make a faster recovery because it is re-heating a smaller amount of water.

I've not been sorry for putting in the 16, I would do it again if that were the only options. Since I put this in other company's have have come out with on demand (unlimited hot water) water heaters. If I were replacing mine today I would look seriously at those. The only drawback I see to those is the fact that they use propane only, not electric, so you will be using more propane.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater