Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2018, 12:36 PM   #1

$1366.93 for a clock spring replacement?

I am about to pick up my 08 MA after having the clock spring replaced. The smart wheel controls would work intermittently and the Minneapolis shop verified it was the clock spring: cost of $330. That isn't bad but they claim it took 2.5 hours to diagnose and another 2.5 to replace it for a total of 5 hours at $150/hr. I admit that I am generally a suspicious person so please tell me 5 hours seems reasonable for the labor charge! PLEASE TELL ME! ha ha.
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2018, 02:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds a little excessive to me but what are you gonna do? These things are expensive. Here's a link to thread with manual for smart steering.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/smar...em-146845.html
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:25 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I called Spartan 2 weeks ago with similar problem. They said it was the clock spring. Ordered one same price. After I did someone posted to unplug the connection half way up the steering column left side then replug. I did and the horn that was stuck on was off. I decided not to change the spring. Was going on a 2 week trip all the way up Michigan and around thru Wisconsin they back to Oklahoma. Never had a problem the entire time. I did take the part with me and my air impact gun just incase I had to do the repair in the road. It's pretty straight up replacing the spring. Steering wheel puller and impact gun to remove the big nut holding steering wheel on.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #4

I've been in the car business at the dealership service level. Sounds like excessive labor to me, but I can't prove it.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesimonson View Post
I am about to pick up my 08 MA after having the clock spring replaced. The smart wheel controls would work intermittently and the Minneapolis shop verified it was the clock spring: cost of $330. That isn't bad but they claim it took 2.5 hours to diagnose and another 2.5 to replace it for a total of 5 hours at $150/hr. I admit that I am generally a suspicious person so please tell me 5 hours seems reasonable for the labor charge! PLEASE TELL ME! ha ha.
A one hour job and if the shop had the proper diagnostic equipment it would add the cost of the scan tool hook up. I charge $49.95 for that.
Checking the figures you gave us:
Part (clock spring) $330.
Labor total 5.0 hours @ $150 per hour = $750
Grand total $1080. Excessive IMO but where did the excessive charge of $286.93 come from?
You have every right to be suspicious. I'd be kicking butt and taking names!
Lynn
Old 08-01-2018, 06:52 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Scan tool won't work on this problem. A call to Spartan and following there instructions for 5 minutes, diagnosed the problem. You unplug the wiring harness that goes into the steering wheel control box located under the driver's seat in the outside bay in a certain order then replug them in reverse order.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
Scan tool won't work on this problem. A call to Spartan and following there instructions for 5 minutes, diagnosed the problem. You unplug the wiring harness that goes into the steering wheel control box located under the driver's seat in the outside bay in a certain order then replug them in reverse order.
Thank you for the input. Before I took it to service, I did call Spartan and follow the reset instructions of unplugging the wires in the control box -black to white-smallest to largest- but that didn't work for me. Thus into service. Anyone else out there have this issue and resolved it for less than $1366 (I haven't seen the bill, but was told the price over the phone).

UPDATE:
I was on my way to pick up my rig and 5 minutes out from the shop I receive a call from a tech in my coach who was out for a test drive (when they told me it was done I asked if anyone had test driven it. 4 hours later I am driving to pick it up and THEN get the call)....the clock spring didn't fix the issue. Now I need to wrestle with them about NOT paying any of the $1366 and having them find the actual cause. They claimed they were certain it was the clock spring...I guess we're all wrong sometimes but I don't expect it after a $1366 repair.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:56 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
UPDATE:
I was on my way to pick up my rig and 5 minutes out from the shop I receive a call from a tech in my coach who was out for a test drive (when they told me it was done I asked if anyone had test driven it. 4 hours later I am driving to pick it up and THEN get the call)....the clock spring didn't fix the issue. Now I need to wrestle with them about NOT paying any of the $1366 and having them find the actual cause. They claimed they were certain it was the clock spring...I guess we're all wrong sometimes but I don't expect it after a $1366 repair.
Not surprised at all. I think any shop that is charging that much is likely not experienced at troubleshooting. You're paying for their training...... in more than one way.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not apples to apples....but I had my clock spring replaced last year at a Freightliner shop for $607.74.... And it did fix the problem...but mine was completely broke and not sporadic.
richpatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #10

2.5 hours to get it wrong??? If nothing else, you don't owe that bill. Neither do you owe the bill to replace it either.

Good luck and keep us posted please
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:30 AM   #11

From bad to worse? Repair is now up to $1560. This shop is the Spartan authorized servicer in this area with about 4 large truck sales and service locations in Minnesota and the one I am at is the only coach certified shop of the 4. Today's update is that I HAD TO CALL to get an update on the repair plan after not hearing anything from them in 24 hours. However, they HAD been working on a solution with Spartan. They aren't charging me for the clock spring debacle. Yea! Then told me they had done a 20 point inspection Spartan recommended and now believe the issue is with the switches themselves. They will now be replacing the switch controller at a cost of $1560. That's $1075 for labor and the balance for parts and "shop supplies". As I told them...I hope you find some labor efficiencies to bring that cost down!! Yesterday was one week into this repair and I expect it will be nearly another week before they complete it, fingers crossed that they actually fix it. I have my doubts.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:55 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
From bad to worse? Repair is now up to $1560. This shop is the Spartan authorized servicer in this area with about 4 large truck sales and service locations in Minnesota and the one I am at is the only coach certified shop of the 4. Today's update is that I HAD TO CALL to get an update on the repair plan after not hearing anything from them in 24 hours. However, they HAD been working on a solution with Spartan. They aren't charging me for the clock spring debacle. Yea! Then told me they had done a 20 point inspection Spartan recommended and now believe the issue is with the switches themselves. They will now be replacing the switch controller at a cost of $1560. That's $1075 for labor and the balance for parts and "shop supplies". As I told them...I hope you find some labor efficiencies to bring that cost down!! Yesterday was one week into this repair and I expect it will be nearly another week before they complete it, fingers crossed that they actually fix it. I have my doubts.

Bummer. At least tell them you want all the bad parts. As we know, there's at least a chance the "bad" parts aren't going to be bad.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Unless YOU authorized that "inspection", you don't owe them for that. If YOU didn't authorize them to replace the "switch controller", you don't owe them for that either.

Unfortunately, it seems to me you may need a lawyer to get your coach back from this shop because most states allow what is called a "mechanic's lien" and when the owner refuses to pay, they can keep it hostage until you "pay up". It seems to me that Spartan is complicit in this fiasco, and I am shocked that may be true, because they are a reputable company. I suggest you reach out to Spartan to see if they will broker a deal you can live with. Sounds like this shop has no clue what they are doing, so wondering how they can be an "authorized" shop.
Good luck !
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:44 PM   #14

Sounds like you are paying for them to learn, sucks but it's pretty common in a lot of shops nowadays.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement