Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #1

17 DS 4369 shuddering on hard excelleration

New coach. 3300 miles. It has always shuddered on hard exceleration. Kind of feels like Allison trans is slipping on lockup. Anybody else experience this on Spartan chassis?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2017, 10:55 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does this happen all the time? When our coach was new...I experienced a shudder when accelerating after engine braking. It turns out...a c-clip inside the Jake Brake had come out of it's groove. The spring...that returns the piston ---after engine braking is done...was not being held in the correct position. So, one cylinder had residual braking, while attempting to accelerate. With the engine brake turned OFF, we didn't have a shudder. With the engine brake turned ON we would experience a shudder part-to-most of the time.

It's a long shot...but based on the limited knowledge I have regarding your shudder....I thought I'd at least float the possibility past you for consideration. The fuel injector in that cylinder soon failed...and while replacing it, found the Jake brake problem.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #3

C Martin
I honestly don't remember if I was coming off the Jake or not. I'll have to check next time which will be a couple of weeks. Suspect problem is something else cause it accelerates well.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:48 PM   #4

Check the ride height. If wrong, the driveshaft angle will be to extreme and cause a shutter.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:06 AM   #5

Twinboat
I would agree about driveshaft. However the shudder goes away after attaining 55 or 60.
Good thought though.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:26 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Twinboat
I would agree about driveshaft. However the shudder goes away after attaining 55 or 60.
Good thought though.
I have had this happen and have read about it on here before, try giving the drive shaft a good grease job, 2 universals and the spline. Grease every 5k miles or before.
Along with what Twinboat suggested.........
Old 03-03-2017, 06:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Twinboat
Good thought though.

There have been a few posts, in the past, on this issue.

Some found bad U joints or lack of grease. I doubt the joints are bad but may need greasing.

Some had driveshaft yokes out of phase after a tow. Hopefully you haven't been there, with your rig. That's an easy check.

Some had incorrect ride height. The shaft shudders while accelerating . Once you reach cruising speed the torque on the drive train is less and the shudder goes away.
The shaft speed is also increased and the shutter may now be a undetectable vibration.

It's worth a look.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #8

Thanx twin boat I'll give the u joints a squirt
Old 03-04-2017, 03:18 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
I am with those that say u-joints. But at that stage I would think if they are the culprit then they need replacing not greasing. But grease may reduce the shudder, if indeed the problem is those parts. Good comment earlier on the spline as well as if that does not slide freely then it places compression forces on the u-joints which were not designed for.

8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
excel