Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #1

'17 DSDP Windshield Wiper Functionality

Does anybody else have issues w/ the wipers on their later-model DSDP with the "VIP Smart Wheel" controls? The "High/Low" button seems to function fine as far as turning the wipers on at a constant speed and alternating between the high and low speeds. However, when I hit the "Off" button doesn't always (more accurately, just about never) stops the wipers at the bottom of their travel. Sometimes they even stop right in front of my field of vision. The intermittent button seems to work okay for a few seconds, then the wipers just stop or seem to do nothing predictable or useful, often stopping mid-windshield while rain continues to come down heavier and heavier.

Am I doing something wrong? All of my coach literature is in the coach and I am far from it currently for work.

-TJ
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #2

YES! I have the same problem with my 2017 Ventanna LE. Newmar says it's a Fl problem. FL says just stop by any FL location and it'll only take a few minutes to fix. Sure, I just happen to be driving around and happen upon a FL dealer and they'll just jump right on it NOT.
I guess mine will have to wait until I go to Gafney for service in August.

Same with the dash lights flashing.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm not sure I'm answering your question but just in case...

Mine is an older coach on a Spartan chassis but I didn't understand how the intermittent worked for over year until I read the users manual. LOL

On mine you HOLD the intermittent button down to establish the time duration. In other words...if you HOLD the button for 5 seconds, you get a 5 second pattern. HOLD it for 10 seconds and you get a 10 second pattern.

I've never had a problem with the wipers not returning to a stored position when turning them off from any mode.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a FL chassis. I admit the windshield wiper controls leave a lot to be desired. No real adjustment to speed other than hi and low. However I've never had them fail to return to proper position when turned off.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #5

Mine do the same thing on 2017 FL. Dont return to center.
dcrna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:25 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
owners manual..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

Mine is an older coach on a Spartan chassis but I didn't understand how the intermittent worked for over year until I read the users manual. LOL

On mine you HOLD the intermittent button down to establish the time duration. In other words...if you HOLD the button for 5 seconds, you get a 5 second pattern. HOLD it for 10 seconds and you get a 10 second pattern.

I've never had a problem with the wipers not returning to a stored position when turning them off from any mode.
If you keep reading the owners manual you're going to ruin this forum.....

Bob
BBorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:06 AM   #7

We have a DSDP 4018 which was born on July 29th 2016. Did not use the wipers ever until Jan 1st 2017 and got all the same problems. They stop everywhere including vertically up but not stop where they are supposed to. Even worse they were stopped ( in the wrong place ) and when we took the key out they started wiping again.

Seems it will be Gaffney in the spring before they are fixed for us to.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjZ06 View Post
Does anybody else have issues w/ the wipers on their later-model DSDP with the "VIP Smart Wheel" controls? The "High/Low" button seems to function fine as far as turning the wipers on at a constant speed and alternating between the high and low speeds. However, when I hit the "Off" button doesn't always (more accurately, just about never) stops the wipers at the bottom of their travel. Sometimes they even stop right in front of my field of vision. The intermittent button seems to work okay for a few seconds, then the wipers just stop or seem to do nothing predictable or useful, often stopping mid-windshield while rain continues to come down heavier and heavier.

Am I doing something wrong? All of my coach literature is in the coach and I am far from it currently for work.

-TJ
Yes on our 2016 Ventana LE. Its a known issue. Newmar's wiper motor vendor changed the amperage in the motor unbeknownst to Newmar, and the programing or parameters need to be adjusted to work properly with the new amperage.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #9

Quote:

On Freightliner you press the intermittent button once, it will wipe once. Wait till you need it again, then press again and that is you time frame.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
MISINFORMATION ALERT!

In my previous post I was cornfused! PDR John is 100% correct.

Tapping the intermittent button starts the timer sequence then tapping it again sets it.

My feeble mind reverted to what I learned first (which was wrong) vs hat I learned when I read the manual.

Sorry folks.

Quote:

Old 01-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsbl77 View Post
If you keep reading the owners manual you're going to ruin this forum.....

Bob
YA...but I need to properly remember what I read.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:38 AM   #12
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Same issue with my 2016 Ventana. Ended up being both the VIP module and the wiper motor. Freightliner said they were having lots of issues with the wipers post 2015. My wipers would also jerk violently when in intermittent mode.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure about the stopping but the intermittent I do know! During my delivery we couldn't get the delay to work right with the two taps to set the interval (pre 2017 method) Called Freightliner for an appointment while I was in IN and got the account rep for Newmar who said it was because NEWMAR made a motor change that is not compatible with the Smart Wheel. Went back to purchasing and told them and they contacted FCCC and were told that FCCC was working on an update that should be done in Nov 2016. Just spoke to my local FCCC dealer for the steering hose recall and asked about the upgrade. They called their factory and were told that there will be no update it will only be a 10 second delay every time you press the button. I emailed NEWMAR to ask that they re-check their end to see if that is true. I would like the ability to adjust the interval instead having to press the button. I was told it only effected DS and Ventanas.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:58 PM   #14

After working fine for over a year my 2015 DS wipers all at once (during a heavy rain storm) wouldn't come on till I discovered on the Hi/Lo button would start the wipers. When stopped the passenger side went down like it should but the driver's side stopped in the middle of the windshield. While at Nappanee I asked that it be addressed but was told the wiper problem was a FL fix. So when I got home I went to a FL shop which fixed the problem but said it was a Newmar problem and charged me for it. After a lot of hassle Newmar agreed to cover the charge.

The wipers seem to be one of those items that are considered part Newmar and part Freightliner, just difficult to determine where one ends and the other starts.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote