Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 05:53 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
'18 4327 shakeout

Got to Dick Gore Thursday am 14 September to get the coach. There was a ding in one of the basement doors, it was like someone threw a small rock at it. They were backed up because of Irma and my plan was to return on Monday the 18th to fix anything that popped up anyway, so they would get it in the body shop first thing.

Drove off to Tallahassee to visit with my brother for the weekend, stayed at the Tallahassee RV park. 12mb wifi! Killer!

Turn shower on, watch water miser medallion waiting for it to turn blue telling me the water was hot. Never turned blue, but I was sure water was hot and it definitely saved water so finished up there. (Water miser is a shower water bypass that returns water to the heat tank so you don't waste water waiting for the hot)

Spent two days, Sunday morning breaking camp, jacks up, air up, my full wall slide came in, bedroom side first. When the rear end of the slide was fully in, the front end of the slide was 18 to 20" out. Pushed it back out, no change, brought it back in, no change. Back out, air out, jacks down and level. Slide in and out no change. Called Newmar, everyone at church Sunday morning. So out come those threaded rods most people don't know what they're for, little cabinet off, threaded rod into the collar and crank in the slide. Not a job for the meek, or weak. After more than an hour, the slide was finally in. Funny because Saturday night after supper I went to harbor freight to get tools and they closed 10 minutes before I got there. What a person needs is an electric impact tool and a 1 1/8 socket to fit those threaded rods. I have one, at home, with the rest of my coach stuff. :( Made do with an adjustable from my neighbor.

Time to use the new sanicon turbo. Opened black, pump on, working good, pump stops. I turned off the pump, then back on and it starts again, for about 20 seconds and stops. Black was just about empty so I pull the grey valve and the pump comes back on. It runs for 20 seconds and stops, then back on by itself, but the job gets done and I put the hose away. This is so much nicer than messing with a big hose by the way.

Off to JAX. Stayed at Flamingo RV park. You can buy 10mb wifi there for $8.95 a month, very nice. Regular wifi is very good as well. Very nice park.

Monday morning off to Dick Gore, I go to service to tell Bob about my issues. The body shop guys come over to tell me they're ready and the body shop is across the street. I explain I have more pressing issues. They say no problem, they pull the door off and take it to the body shop. Techs take the coach in to look at the problems.

My thinking was that since the slide continued its movement in and out without any change, that after I corrected it with the rod that it would continue in and out properly. Well it did. They were unable to get it to fail. They filled and dumped both grey and black tanks and ran multiple loads of water through the sanicon and it never stopped for them. They say they can see the shower medallion change color, a little, not "light up" like I expected. Fine, the bypass feature for that first minute saving water is good enough for me.

Noticed the pantry door was the gloss finish instead of matte like the rest of the interior. How could someone put one shiny piece on and not notice? Realized at pickup my half bath toilet had a foot pedal instead of the macerator. Unacceptable. I was so excited to have that larger half bath, but that toilet is not cool. My sales girl got an incident number from Newmar. Big job to change that toilet so it probably will involve a trip to the factory. No problem if that's what happens because I'm going to Maine, then Tucson, so it's on the way. We'll see. So far they say that's what comes with this floor plan because the flush sits directly over the black tank and the mascerator isn't needed. Penny pinching engineers. I don't care where it sits, I don't want a pop up camper flush in my Dutch Star. What good is the tank status indicator in the main bath if you can overfill it with the half bath toilet? They picked the wrong guy to experiment with.

Mid afternoon and my door is back, cannot detect anything had been done to fix that dent, excellent paint work.

Head north to Cracker Barrel for supper and to spend the night. Amen

I still maintain this Spartan chassis leans less in turns on the on off ramps. The recliner slide around fix that Newmar provided this year does not work. I'll fix it myself same as I did last year with cane tips.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 07:54 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Glad it went fairly well, hopefully the slide and Sanicon gremlins won't show their ugly heads again.

We had a macerator pump like a Sanicon that had "dry run protection" that worked like that. Turns out the protection devices that shut off the pump were above the motor in my mounting configuration and would shut off the pump early. I ended up bypassing the devices. Maybe it was hotter the day you were trying to dump and colder when they did it?

Interesting you want a macerating toilet in the front. I remember that when Newmar started using these toilets, several members didn't really like them. They dry camped and the new toilet used so much water that they couldn't make their tanks last a week. They liked the plans that offered one normal toilet as they could use that one when dry camping.

We installed a shower water recirc pump in both our coaches and really like them as well. We put them in the S&B also. Nice not having to run the water for 30 seconds to a minute waiting for it to get hot.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We are approaching one month in the new 2018 DS. The Water Miser changes from blue to white when the water gets hot. Works very well. I wish that my half bathe had the old pedal toilet. These use way too much water even when programmed to half gallon flush. Going from a 2008 to this, wow, so much to learn.
Enjoy your new coach.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
The recliner slide around fix that Newmar provided this year does not work. I'll fix it myself same as I did last year with cane tips.
Can you tell me about this fix? What is it?

We've been fortunate - no shakeout issues yet. Knock on wood!!
Old 09-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #5

Quote:
...So out come those threaded rods most people don't know what they're for, little cabinet off, threaded rod into the collar and crank in the slide...
Can you explain further - especially '...little cabinet off...' ? Thanks!
Old 09-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
?..We installed a shower water recirc pump in both our coaches and really like them as well. We put them in the S&B also...
Can you share where you obtained the recirc pumps and how installed? Thanks!
Old 09-19-2017, 04:34 PM   #7

so one side of the slide was 18" to 20" more out than the other ? thats a big difference.....did you mean to type 1.8-2.0" ?

i find it amazing that you would have a slide problem like that so quickly...that between newmar, and your dealer, that the slide would not have been used so many times as to make that happen....anyways, important thing is that it's fixed...

and please enlighten me on the threaded rods, and their usage....

thanks for the write up !
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #8
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry about your shake out problems.

We tried to get a pedal flush toilet in our center bath and Newmar would not do it. If you ever camp without hookups it can make a big difference in your water usage.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
so one side of the slide was 18" to 20" more out than the other ? thats a big difference.....did you mean to type 1.8-2.0" ?

i find it amazing that you would have a slide problem like that so quickly...that between newmar, and your dealer, that the slide would not have been used so many times as to make that happen....anyways, important thing is that it's fixed...

and please enlighten me on the threaded rods, and their usage....

thanks for the write up !
The front of the slide had about 2 feet yet to go while the rear portion was up against the coach. If this happens, you need to pull the slide in. That is done with the threaded rods. You get two of them when you buy your coach in case you need to pull the entire slide in. They're about 3 feet long and taped together as a pair. Both sides need to come in together. It's all in the HWH manual. There is a hole near the floor behind the driver seat. It's at an angle so useless, the cabinet needs to come off. Then you thread the rod into the collar until it fetches up against the coach frame and pulls the slide in. You're pulling an enormous slide in against hydraulic pressure so you're in for a ride, believe me. But it must be done and when the going gets tough....
Old 09-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertboyz View Post
Can you tell me about this fix? What is it?

We've been fortunate - no shakeout issues yet. Knock on wood!!
I'll get you a picture.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:27 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Bill......Congrats on the new coach!

I think the pedal flush would look hookie in a high end coach, but I wouldn't want a macerator there either if not necessary. I would get a nice electric flush Dometic toilet that matches the macerator design.

I just realized you didn't post any pictures, color, interior color etc! You're slacking off.

Talked to my dealer today about a 2018. I also talked to him about changing the sofa out in mine. As I left, he did the motion with his hands, like he was weighing two items and said.....$3000.00 couch or $300,000.00 motor home. Still working on the wife.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:43 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Here you go Don.
Beautiful half bath, tacky flush.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3491.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	177207   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3492.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	177208  

Old 09-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Yesterday morning three of the New MCD shades wouldn’t retract. A call to Newmar got us to a three way call to MCD and I found out the three shades, driver side window, door and passenger side window are all on the chassis battery. Had other stuff going on so I called back a few hours later and they now worked fine. He said it’s usually a low voltage situation and there are nearly 10,000 of the new shades out with nearly no issues.

Issue two. Unable to get the new wonderful xite radio navigator to connect to WiFi. Bluetooth will no problem but not WiFi. Still working on it with the xite people.

Issue three. My HWH jacks won’t level. They go down and stabilize but I get no yellow out of level lights so the jacks won’t level. I’ve checked all the likely culprits and no go. They want me back at the dealer. I’m in Virginia on my way to Maine and need to be there for a meeting 28 September so turning back is not an option. Any dealer from here to Maine won’t see me because I didn’t buy from them. Even the factory can’t see me until April. This is pretty sad. Apparently you need to camp within a day’s drive of your purcahsing dealer in case you have a problem. From Maine I’m on my way to Tucson, finally in relax for the winter mode. Thinking of going to Iowa to the HWH factory. Might be less out of the way than Jax. I’ll pull out the beg card while in Maine and see if HWH will work with me to troubleshoot. Pretty sure the techs at Dick Gore would do the same thing, they are not HWH techs. I’m absolutely sure my lifetime skills make me qualified to work on a leveling system and I ain’t intimidated.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #14

Quote:
... I found out the three shades, driver side window, door and passenger side window are all on the chassis battery.
Getting ready for the delivery of my New Aire. I have been trying to assemble all the documentation I can in anticipation of dealing with a series of delivery challenges.

I have run into a brick wall trying to get the electrical schematic diagrams for the coach. I have made requests to the dealer and directly to Newmar, no joy. I did get an oblique comment along the way that they may not trust giving that kind of information to the customer. I can't imagine owning an all electrical coach without having a copy of the electrical schematic diagrams on board. It is impossible to debug these systems unless you know how they are hooked up.

Is this common? Has anyone obtained electrical schematics for their coaches?
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote