Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2019, 11:11 AM   #1

1995 Newmar diesel

I am interested in buying a 1995 38ft diesel Newmar Kountry star. what is the good and the bad of a Newmar this old.
MOTO148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #2

Because it's a Newmar that is really good. Kountry Star is a entry level diesel but all Newmar come down the same assembly with the same people building them. A lot of the same products are put on all their coaches. Would prefer a Cummins engine and you may have one but most I think had Cats. Like Spartan chassis but FL are also good.
Check to make sure everything works, tires need to check for age, and I have found if both the inside of the coach and the exterior look good it was well taken care. Be careful if it's been sitting for 2 years or more.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #3

the coach has a Cummins, Not sure if its the 250hp or the 300hp. Owner does not no hp Cummins motor that is in it. 90,000 miles on it. Are there any know problems with that year of coach. If the coach has been setting what should i be concerned about. I have never owner a MH. I am familiar with toy haulers.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
its 24 years old could be alot in the future to go wrong with it,you want to drive something you feel safe in
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #5

Would be nice to have some one who knows diesel motor homes to assist you since there is a lot to check and know.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #6
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Here's a link to the Newmar brochure on its 1995 models, including the Kountry Star diesel pusher.

https://newmarcorp-8c1e.kxcdn.com/wp...sel-pusher.pdf

It shows the standard engine to be 250 HP with an option for a 300 HP. You should find a data plate in the engine compartment that may help further identify the specific engine. In the absence of specific data, assume the standard 250 HP Cummins.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTO148 View Post
I am interested in buying a 1995 38ft diesel Newmar Kountry star. what is the good and the bad of a Newmar this old.
6 years ago I bought a 2000 Newmar Dutchstar. Cat c7 300 hp. It had been used only 200 miles the previous 5 years as the owners wife went blind , then the economy took a dump and he could not sell it. It was in excellent shape and I trusted my gut and bought it. First month I changed the oil, belts and radiator fluid. Then had the transmission and rear end fluids changed so I could start off with a clean slate. I have put on 39 thousand miles since then. We Love travelling in it!
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:03 PM   #8

Thank you all very much for your input. I'll go take the RV to a shop having evaluated before purchasing. Thanks again. motor 148
Old 01-15-2019, 06:19 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We are more than happy with our 1994 ksdp. We picked it up in Pecsicola and drove straight through to Western Washington. No problems we couldn't deal with...stuck Jack in AZ and the alternator is CA. Fixed both when we got home. We've put 10k on it since we bought it and it hums right along. I would have the chassis inspected by a good mechanic and the house by a rv tech before you write the check.
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, newmar