Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #1

1996 MADP no brake lights disappearing tail lights

Where is the brake light switch located on a 1996 Mountain Aire? I don't have any brake lights and my tail lights are wacky. I have had 3 different RV mechanics look at it and they cant find anything. When my headlights are off then I have tail lights, but when I turn on my headlights the tail lights go off. I don't have any brake lights when ignition is on. Turn signals seem to be the only lights I have all the time. The last shop I had it at called Spartan with wiring questions but never got a call back. Anybody got any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2018, 04:21 PM   #2

1 assumption - they worked at one time. Was there anything added to the electrical just before this started? Otherwise I think it is a ground problem. I had some wacky stuff happen when I had the boat trailer hooked up and the ground was bad.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
Have you looked around the brake pedal on top of arm of brake pedal you may see a switch with a plunger that drops down when you depress the brake pad.
Have you ever checked behind the brake lens and checked the wiring and lamp sockets on a metal bar with ground wiring and power wiring to lamps.
Everything may need to be cleaned up from corrosion on wiring and bar for lights. --Brochure --- Owners Guide 1997 Oldest we have.
This link has some older coach information and all links below in my signature will have info for your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSmith17 View Post
Where is the brake light switch located on a 1996 Mountain Aire? I don't have any brake lights and my tail lights are wacky. I have had 3 different RV mechanics look at it and they cant find anything. When my headlights are off then I have tail lights, but when I turn on my headlights the tail lights go off. I don't have any brake lights when ignition is on. Turn signals seem to be the only lights I have all the time. The last shop I had it at called Spartan with wiring questions but never got a call back. Anybody got any ideas?
The stop light switch is air operated and under the front hatch. The tail light issue sounds like the ICC blinker switch left of the steering wheel is causing the problem. When headlights are on and you push the momentary ICC blinker switch it shuts the tail lights off. When the headlights are off and you push the ICC blinker switch it turns the tail and marker lights on. Sounds like the switch might be holding in the on position.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This maybe causing your problem also.
This link comes from wiring and fusing of coach's, in this sticky.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brake lights, light, lights, tail lights