Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #1

1996 Newmar Mountain Aire

I am looking at a 1996 Newmar MountainAire. It is a diesel puller. It was the personal vehicle of a fellow who owned the dealer ship and now after a lot of upgrades he wants to sell. Not sure why.

It is a diesel puller with 5.9 Cummins Diesel.

I don't know the mileage but I saw it 3 months ago and it looked pretty clean. It has one slide.

Questions...

1) Is this enough horse power? Seems a bit light to me. I am also looking at a 98 Monaco Dynasty, 38 feet and it has a 8.3l.

2) How would the quality of this unit compare with the Monaco.

3) Are there any known issues with these units?

4) How are they to drive? Lots of sway? Wandering? Noisy?

Thanks,

Colin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler2162 View Post
I am looking at a 1996 Newmar MountainAire. It is a diesel puller. It was the personal vehicle of a fellow who owned the dealer ship and now after a lot of upgrades he wants to sell. Not sure why.

It is a diesel puller with 5.9 Cummins Diesel.

I don't know the mileage but I saw it 3 months ago and it looked pretty clean. It has one slide.

Questions...

1) Is this enough horse power? Seems a bit light to me. I am also looking at a 98 Monaco Dynasty, 38 feet and it has a 8.3l.

2) How would the quality of this unit compare with the Monaco.

3) Are there any known issues with these units?

4) How are they to drive? Lots of sway? Wandering? Noisy?

Thanks,

Colin
Based on what I could find, your 5.9 is probably in the 180 to 215hp range. You didn't state what length the MountainAire is, so probably a 32 or 34 foot. So I would state that you are probably under powered. Also, isn't that rig a diesel PUSHER??? Not a "Puller"?

On Quality, Newmar, especially the MountainAire line is probably better made than the Monaco's, though the Monaco's are pretty well made too!
Super quiet, but I've not had a lot of experience driving, but others will chime in I'm sure.

They were both on our short list, but we ended up with a Newmar Dutch Star. More because of specific rig condition and care received rather than the model.

The rule of thumb is 10 hp for every foot foot of length. We are 38.5' and have 300 hp. We are no speed demons, but we pull a 5000 lb toad, and have no problems. Sure we slow down on the steep upgrades, but we're in no hurry.

Good luck in your search, and keep us appraised of your progress!

Old 03-13-2017, 01:56 PM   #3

I believe the 5.9 as installed in the '96 MA on a Spartan chassis was rated at 250HP.
There were gas versions of the MA that year on both Ford and Chevy chassis with higher HP ratings but probably not comparable torque ratings.
Good luck in your search.

Cheers
CoachC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Based on what I could find, your 5.9 is probably in the 180 to 215hp range. You didn't state what length the MountainAire is, so probably a 32 or 34 foot. So I would state that you are probably under powered. Also, isn't that rig a diesel PUSHER??? Not a "Puller"?

On Quality, Newmar, especially the MountainAire line is probably better made than the Monaco's, though the Monaco's are pretty well made too!
Super quiet, but I've not had a lot of experience driving, but others will chime in I'm sure.

They were both on our short list, but we ended up with a Newmar Dutch Star. More because of specific rig condition and care received rather than the model.

The rule of thumb is 10 hp for every foot foot of length. We are 38.5' and have 300 hp. We are no speed demons, but we pull a 5000 lb toad, and have no problems. Sure we slow down on the steep upgrades, but we're in no hurry.

Good luck in your search, and keep us appraised of your progress!
Thanks Scot. It is 37 feet and thats why I think it is perhaps underpowered. It is a puller.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachC View Post
I believe the 5.9 as installed in the '96 MA on a Spartan chassis was rated at 250HP.
There were gas versions of the MA that year on both Ford and Chevy chassis with higher HP ratings but probably not comparable torque ratings.
Good luck in your search.

Cheers
Thanks Rick. @ 250hp, by the time I stick a trailer with a jeep and a couple of ATV's I might be more than just a little light on the HP.

Cheerks,

Colin
Old 03-13-2017, 07:25 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
You might call the year coach a FRED chassis---Brochure --- Owners Guide. 1997 oldest we have. I only thought they had this chassis during the 98-99 time period.
Look down this Brochure to the Freightliner chassis with the 210 hp ENGINE.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3499820]Welcome to the forum and irv2.
You might call the year coach a FRED chassis---[B][URL="https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/instance1Env99NEWMAR/html/images/1996mab.pdf
Brochure [/URL][/B]--- Owners Guide. 1997 oldest we have. I only thought they had this chassis during the 98-99 time period.
Look down this Brochure to the Freightliner chassis with the 210 hp ENGINE.
FRED... thats the term. Thanks for the info. We are definitely going to take a pass on this. A nice clean coach but clearly not enough hp for what we may want to do.

This is Newmar is about the same size (37') as the Monaco I am looking at (38') but has only about 60% of the hp. Some would consider the Monaco under powered at 325.

We don't need to get up the mountain in the next 5 minutes but we do need to get up the mountain today.

Thanks everyone for the information and contributions.

Cheers,
Colin
Old 03-14-2017, 12:44 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have a 96 Monaco Windsor, 38', 8.3 Cummins, 275 hp, and a 6 speed 3060 Allison, "Mona", and she does a fine job getting down the road! Have had her in the eastern mountains, and did not have any problems going up or down! Pulled all the hills on I-81 just fine, in 6th gear! No toad that trip, just the lightly loaded MH and my wife! It might be a different story with a heavy trailer, but it seemed to have plenty of torque! The PO said the same thing, and he pulled a Jeep up to Maine twice a year from Florida! I ask him before i bought her, why he never had the HP bumped up, he said it did what he needed, and got 10 MPG so he did not mess with it! So after my first trip with Mona, i decided the same thing, Why mess with a good running, good fuel mileage getting coach?
I don't think i would mess with that Fred either, and i would hate to hear that 5.9 between me and my wife and try to talk going down the road!

The most important thing is finding a "well loved coach" and you can tell it the min. you walk in the door! Good luck! Rail!
Old 03-15-2017, 04:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
I have a 96 Monaco Windsor, 38', 8.3 Cummins, 275 hp, and a 6 speed 3060 Allison, "Mona", and she does a fine job getting down the road! .... I ask him before i bought her, why he never had the HP bumped up, he said it did what he needed, and got 10 MPG so he did not mess with it! So after my first trip with Mona, i decided the same thing, Why mess with a good running, good fuel mileage getting coach?
Thanks Guardrail.... how do you boost horse power. The Monaco I am looking at has the 8.3 but claims 325 hp. It has a turbo so that might be part of it if you don't have one but there is 50 HP between your 8.3 and the one I am looking at.

Totally understand about not messing with something that already works.

Colin
Old 03-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The 96 models have a manual injected motor, no computer or ecm so to turn up the HP you change the metering plate and turn up the fuel, all the diesels in the 90's have turbo's, and charge air coolers, and around 98 i think, in the MH's, they started with the electronic motors. The 8.3 manual Cummins can be turned up to 400 HP, but i think you would have to be carefull in the hills, and most importantly watch the exhaust temps! A call to Brazel's performance and they can tell you what you need to know! Rail!
Old 03-16-2017, 06:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
The 96 models have a manual injected motor, no computer or ecm so to turn up the HP you change the metering plate and turn up the fuel, all the diesels in the 90's have turbo's, and charge air coolers, and around 98 i think, in the MH's, they started with the electronic motors. The 8.3 manual Cummins can be turned up to 400 HP, but i think you would have to be carefull in the hills, and most importantly watch the exhaust temps! A call to Brazel's performance and they can tell you what you need to know! Rail!
Thanks.

Tags
newmar