Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2018, 10:44 PM   #1

2 months in the New Aire

I've been living in the NA for 2 months across two big trips and a couple smaller ones. As this trip comes to a close, I thought I'd share some ramblings and how I have things set up / stored.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2018, 05:38 AM   #2

Could you see yourself living in your New Aire fulltime? What about engine size and performance? Fuel and DEF? Any thoughts you'd like to share?

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.
SteveUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveUpp View Post
Could you see yourself living in your New Aire fulltime? What about engine size and performance? Fuel and DEF? Any thoughts you'd like to share?

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.
I could definitely FT in here solo. I could probably do it with someone who understands how to deal with limited space (bedroom storage comes to mind).

Engine, perf, fuel, DEF ... you're the second to ask and I'm surprised I left that out of my recent set of videos! Although I hope to capture some driving when I head home on Thursday. Anyway, I'd call the engine performance adequate but on the low end. There aren't many trucks that pass me on steep grades but it's a little silly that I'm as slow as many of them. That said, it's easy to sit back and relax and accept it while driving one of these. So it doesn't bother me much.
As for fuel ... I stop every 250-400 miles. At 250 out of convenience, not necessity. I've brought it down under a quarter tank before but not often. I do wish it were bigger but it's not high on the list either. As for DEF ... I'm just glad the truck stops have pumps for them and they've been along my routes. I'd be annoyed if I had to dump a bunch of containers in by hand. It's slightly annoying to have to fuel up, move, and then add DEF but it's not THAT frequent or THAT annoying so I've learned to accept it, too. I wouldn't let it sway any of my decisions for future purchases.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:43 PM   #4

Ref. New Aire AC— I did upgrade my AC to 15k btu since I live in Texas. I have only slept 2 nights in the coach but the the bedroom does seem to lack good AC Air flow. It is cooler in living area. Did have tech confirm there is not any obstruction. Seems the second AC is over Kitchen area and open to living and bedroom. I need a way to force more air to bedroom.

Any body else having same issue?
Rdhplano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdhplano View Post
Ref. New Aire AC— I did upgrade my AC to 15k btu since I live in Texas. I have only slept 2 nights in the coach but the the bedroom does seem to lack good AC Air flow. It is cooler in living area. Did have tech confirm there is not any obstruction. Seems the second AC is over Kitchen area and open to living and bedroom. I need a way to force more air to bedroom.

I'm having the exact same issue. The rear AC unit (over the kitchen area) puts most of it's air condition or heat into the middle of the coach and very little of it gets to the back bedroom ducts.
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdhplano View Post

Same. I also thought maybe obstruction. I don't know where all that air is going!
Old 05-08-2018, 06:33 PM   #7

a couple of comments...

the dish washer has a short cycle...33 mins...uses very little water....as long as my dishes are reasonably rinsed, it does a great job...i have put in pots and pans, and it has done great on the glassware and flatware as well....i use the pods with the built in sheeting agent in the soap compartment...

the washing machine also has a quick cycle...57 mins....you can only get water temp up to warm on that cycle, but it also does a great job and uses very little water...

i have run both while on the road, and been very happy...i am fairly certain your washing machine is the same as in the DS....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
Same. I also thought maybe obstruction. I don't know where all that air is going!
Same issue, but one additional factor.

After driving many hours and pulling in for the night the engine compartment and associated areas above the engine in the bedroom are heat soaked. Those structures will take many hours to shed the heat energy absorbed from the engine making AC even less effective.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:45 PM   #9

and cinergi, i meant to ask.....has the repair to the HWH slide room remained successful ?
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
a couple of comments...

the dish washer has a short cycle...33 mins...uses very little water....as long as my dishes are reasonably rinsed, it does a great job...i have put in pots and pans, and it has done great on the glassware and flatware as well....i use the pods with the built in sheeting agent in the soap compartment...

the washing machine also has a quick cycle...57 mins....you can only get water temp up to warm on that cycle, but it also does a great job and uses very little water...

i have run both while on the road, and been very happy...i am fairly certain your washing machine is the same as in the DS....

My next cycle on the dishwasher will be the fast cycle so I’ll check that out. Thanks!
I’ve been using the normal/warm cycle for most of my laundry. That’s been working perfectly.

The slideout has remained fine since the repair. Although I’ve not parked on anything anywhere near as unlevel as the site where the issue started.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
Same issue, but one additional factor.

After driving many hours and pulling in for the night the engine compartment and associated areas above the engine in the bedroom are heat soaked. Those structures will take many hours to shed the heat energy absorbed from the engine making AC even less effective.

Yes I noticed this as well. I had a very long driving day and went to bed immediately after pulling into a flying j. Fortunately it was cool outside and the sun was down but boy it was warm back there.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
Yes I noticed this as well. I had a very long driving day and went to bed immediately after pulling into a flying j. Fortunately it was cool outside and the sun was down but boy it was warm back there.
Big problem out in the southwest during the Summer. Drive though those deserts during the day and the back of the coach really never cools off all night without a big wind. Glad we have the optional sleeper sofa up front.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
Big problem out in the southwest during the Summer. Drive though those deserts during the day and the back of the coach really never cools off all night without a big wind. Glad we have the optional sleeper sofa up front.
What do you all think about blocking some of the vents in the living room to try and force more air to the bedroom?
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna_Wander View Post
What do you all think about blocking some of the vents in the living room to try and force more air to the bedroom?
The tech actually recommended that.
I will try that when I get my coach.
(Still working PDI issues for a week)
My concern is air flow gets restricted
Instead of diverted.
Rdhplano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air