Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2007, 02:57 AM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SMC:
MT flyfisher - That's how we got the water out of the tank today, by using the pump, then dumping the tank and siphon the antifreeze up the lines. Worked just fine. I'm sure the H20 tank isn't completly empty, but there is plenty of expansion room for the dab of water left when it freezes by tomorrow night again.

We did add 2 electric space heaters in the 5ver to help keep it above freezing in there when the regular heater quit. It kept it about 45 so we were ok. We check the heaters quite often to be sure all is ok and it has been so far. Now with winterizing we aren't so worried about lines cracking etc. but we'll keep the heaters going on low so it doesn't get so cold in there.

I think getting something better on the propane tanks will help a bunch. Too bad there isn't an indicator inside the coach too. Add it to the project list!

Thanks for the eBay link. Hope you get your Kountry Aire next spring. So far we like the 5ver. After the holidays we'll be glad to hit the road with it and live in it for a few months.

Where in Montana do you stay? We have relatives in Stevensville.

Thanks again to everyone's ideas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sue -

For 4 or 5 years, my wife and I moved all over the northwest US and Canada. Now we stay permanently at Yellowstone's Edge RV Park, which is right on the Yellowstone River, about 35 miles north of Yellowstone Nat'l. Park.

We have a home in southeast PA, but we leave for MT sometime in June and stay there until October.

John
MT flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #16

LPG cylinders have a OPD valve which, if opened suddenly, will slam closed because it detects an unrestricted gas flow(all explained in the link). Allow your full cylinders to sit closed for a few hours and try opening them very slowly, after you have connected them of course. This might not be your issue, but you will eliminate it as a possibility.
If you have not emptied the water from the pump inlet hose from the storage tank it will freeze. Space heaters do not heat the tanks.
All permantly mounted RV fresh water tanks have a drain-somewhere. It's easiest to just call your dealer for the location. For instance, my tank drain is a 1/4" white rubber hose(bout 3" long) with a push/pull valve on the bottom.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:21 PM   #17

I have a Kountry Star by Newmar, and both jperry29 & Ray,IN are accurate in their answers about the propane valves and the fresh water drain. I have a rear kitchen and the fresh water drain is directly under the tank which is located close to the kitchen sink, and the drain is about 3 inches long with a quarter turn valve at the end of the line. I would add only one piece of advice about the automatic OPD valve. It is supposed to automatically switch tanks as it pulls propane from each of the tanks, but from experience, I have found it is smarter to point it at one tank and only open that particular tank, and when that tank runs out you will be alerted by having either no heat or the furnace won't come on. You then go out and close the empty one and open the full one turning the valve towards that particular tank and then make a note to fill the empty one. This will eliminate the problem of totally running out of propane, especially since this usually happens in the middle of the night, when propane stations are closed.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Nibot to the Newmar forum.
Thanks for your post enjoy the forum and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:11 PM   #19

nilbot I think you have confused the OPD valve with LPG regulators. You will see the differences when you inspect those pages.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:58 AM   #20

Here's a link to Marshall's automatic changeover unit. It contains an Operational page and a Functional test for the assembly.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:28 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MT flyfisher:

Sue -

For 4 or 5 years, my wife and I moved all over the northwest US and Canada. Now we stay permanently at Yellowstone's Edge RV Park, which is right on the Yellowstone River, about 35 miles north of Yellowstone Nat'l. Park.

We have a home in southeast PA, but we leave for MT sometime in June and stay there until October.

John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John - off topic /// I note in latest NKK mag that Newmar has new RV dealer in Boise, ID Dennis Dillon RV doesn't say if trailers or Rv or both.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:59 PM   #22

My trailer had a threaded plug in the bottom of the fresh water tank as a drain. But draining the fresh water tank is not you main concern (as mentioned, if there is plenty of room for expansion, the freezing of water is not a concern.

Where it is of concern, is small, enclosed spaces, like the water lines. My old trailer had 2 hoses with plugs which were the 'low point' drain for the hot water system and the cold water system.

So the most important thing is to drain the lines, blow out the lines and/or fill the lines with antifreeze.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:25 AM   #23

Leo
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if trailers or Rv or both. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey a Travel Trailer is a RV, what you mean is Travel Trailers and Motor Homes. Most people with MH don't think Popups or Travel Trailers are RV's

Tom

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0L 4.10
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have had both I always thought RV ment RELAXING VACATION.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote